Recipe of the Week April 4, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2013
      Spring is Sprung, The Grass is Riz
      Time for a nice crisp salad. This month we’ll take a look at recipes
      and other resources on salads.

      One of the most commonly touted references for salad pops up in the
      Forme of Curye. Our text comes from Curye on Inglysch, English Culinary
      Manuscripts from the 14th Century (including Forme of Cury) Edited by
      Constance B. Hieatt and Sharon Butler.
      Forme of curye
      Salat.

      Take persel, sauge, garlek, chy-
      bollus, oynouns, leke, borage,
      myntes, poorettes, fenell, and
      towne tressis, rewe, rosmarye,
      purslary, lave & waische hem
      clene, pyke hem pluk hem small
      with thyne honde & myng hem
      wel with rawe oyle, lay on
      vyneger & salt & serve hem forth.

      Another English version appears in The Good Huswifes Jewell. Imprinted
      at London for Edward White,1596, Transcription by Daniel Myers -
      December 20, 2008 available on MedievalCookery.com

      To make a Sallet of all kinde of hearbes.
      Take your hearbes and picke them very
      fine into faire water, and picke your flo-
      wers by themselues, and washe them al
      cleane, and swing them in a strainer, and
      when you put them into a dish, mingle them
      with Cowcumbers or Lemmons payred
      and sliced, and scrape Suger, and put in
      vineger and Oyle, and throwe the flowers
      on the toppe of the sallet, and of euery sorte
      of the aforesaide things, and garnish the dish
      about with the forsaide thinges, and harde
      Egges boyled and laide about the dish and
      vpon the sallet.

      Good Cooking, Rycheza