Recipe of the Week March 28, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28 11:08 AM
      We have a couple of new members on the list. So Welcome!

      We’ll finish up our fish month with a few recipes to carp about. The
      first is from Le Menagier de Paris, a French manuscript originally
      dated to 1397, English translation by Janet Hinson

      CARP with STUFFING. First, put some minced onions on to boil in a pot
      with water, and when the onions are well cooked, throw in the head and
      quite soon after the tail, and quite soon after the chunks (of fish),
      and cover tightly so that no steam escapes. And when it is cooked, have
      ready a mixture of ginger, cinnamon, and saffron, moistened with wine
      and a little verjuice, that is to say one third, and put it all to boil
      together, well covered; and then serve in bowls.

      Note that the Germans say that the French put themselves in great danger
      from eating under-cooked carp. And we have seen that if French and
      Germans have a French cook who cooks carp for them, the Germans take
      their share and cook it again until it is more done, and the French do not.

      Our second recipe is from Koge Bog a Danish cookbook “Containing A
      hundred useful pieces, Which are about brewing, baking, Cooking, aquavit
      and mead to make, As is useful in house Holding &c. Which before not in
      our Danish Language is issued in print.” It was printed in Copenhagen,
      by Salomone Sartorio, in 1616. English Translation by M. Forest out of
      New Zealand.

      LI. Carp in cloven broth.
      Take good alegar or wine vinegar. Cut the gill off the carp and take the
      blood in the same vinegar. Peel the scales cleanly off, chop it in
      pieces and wash it clean out. Salt it in a bowl or sprinkle it well with
      salt in the bowl and let it then lie in the salt a quarter. Then put it
      in a kettle or pot and pour the vinegar with the blood over it. Sieve
      through a sieve or colander and the help use thin ale or good wine just
      as you want the broth to be good. Sprinkle in it grated gingerbread, put
      it on the fire and let it well seethe and add to it herbs, ginger and
      pepper. Give it a lively taste, sweet or sour, place it out and sprinkle
      the platter with crushed cloves. If you want it even better cut apples
      into small rectangular pieces and sprinkle coriander over it. Put this
      in a pot, make it yellow with saffron and let it come to the boil with a
      little wine. Make it sweet with honey or sugar and spread this nicely
      over the carp on the platter.

      Good Coking and we’ll see some of you tomorrow. Now back to my packing.