Gastronomy and Cookery Books Online at Library of Congress

  • Johnna Holloway
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2013

      Perhaps because it's listed under Gastronomy, no one seems to have mentioned
      that the Library of Congress's Rare Book & Special Collections Division now has this collection available online.

      Gastronomy Books
      Books on the topic of gastronomy. Selected mainly from Pennell and Bitting Collections in the Rare Book and Special Collections Division.

      http://www.loc.gov/rr/rarebook/digitalcoll/digitalcoll-gastronomy.html

      One can move through the included books page by page or there may be a PDF link.

      Among the offerings are Accomplish'd Lady's Delight from 1675, a 1498 Apicius, a 1541 Bastiment, a 1656 Compleat Cook, two volumes by Digby, John French's Art of Distillation from 1667, John Gerard's Herball, Markham, Moffett, John Nott's dictionary, Plat, Platina, etc

      Plus Maestro Martino. Libro de arte coquinaria / Maestro Martino da Como; a cura di Emilio Montorfano e con introduzione di Ernesto Travi. Milano: Terziaria, 1990.

      There's also My Cookery Books
      A select bibliography of the Elizabeth Robins Pennell collection.

      They're certainly worth a look.

      Johnnae

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 28, 2013
        Thanks Johnnae. I know I wouldn't have thought gastronomy off the
        top of my head although it might have caught my eye in a list.

        RzP