Recipe of the Week March 10th, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2013
      Sorry for Running behind Schedule this week but better late than never,I
      hope.

      Our Recipes, both fish pies, this week come from Das Buch von guter
      spise a literal translation of Daz buoch von guoter spise dated between
      1345 and 1354, English Translation by Alia Atlas.

      The manuscript contains fourteen recipes for fish. Including recipes
      for eel and lamprey. Other types of fish mentioned included, salmon,
      pike, stockfish, and perch.

      15. Von pasteden (Of pasties)
      This is how you want to make pasties of fish. So scale the fish
      and remove the skin when it boils. And strike it to small pieces. Chop
      parsley and sage there in. And do thereto pepper and ginger, cinnamon
      and saffron. Temper it all with wine and make a thin dough (possibly
      freshly made as opposed to sourdough) and add the fish therein and give
      the wine thereon and cover it with a thin dough and make that round and
      round whole (possibly shape the pastry before adding the fish and wine).
      And break above a hole there in and lay there for a cover of dough and
      let it bake. So one may make also hens. Also meat or wild meat or eel or
      birds.

      19 Take a salmon. Scrape off the scales. Split it and cut it into
      pieces. Cut parsley (and) sage. Take ground ginger, pepper, anise. Salt
      to mass. Make a dough (possibly freshly made as opposed to sourdough)
      also the size of the piece (of salmon). And throw the herb on the piece.
      And surround it with the dough. Stamp it in a form if you can. Thus you
      may make pike (and) trout. And bake individually in a dough. However, if
      it is a meat day, then you may make hens, partridge, pigeon and
      pheasant. If you have the forms, and bake them in fat or boil in the
      forms. Take from the breasts of the hens or other good meat. So will the
      art be the better and do not oversalt.

      BTW: I see one of the classes at the upcoming Culinary Symposium will
      be on fish.

      Good Cooking