Re: [Antir_culinary] Pre-17th Century Boucan...

  • Johnna Holloway
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 15, 2013
      Take a look at the footnotes and references cited in

      Warnes, Andrew. Savage Barbecue: Race, Culture, and the Invention of America's First Food. Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press, 2008.

      I've described in my one bibliography as "An academic history of barbecue and invented traditions that focuses among other things on “the etymological origins of the word barbecue…""

      Johnnae llyn Lewis

      On Feb 15, 2013, at 3:31 AM, Jean Colbert wrote:

      I am looking for documentation/information on pre-17th century Boucan, the meat smoking process used by the Arawak Indians of the Carribean Islands.  We all know the story of how the Arawak Indians taught the process to French sailors in the late 17th Century, who called themselves Boucanierres (French for "smokers of meat") which later got bastardized to Buccaneers.  But in my research on Boucanierres, I keep seeing that the Arawak Indians shared this process with other European sailors they had come into contact with, all the way back to Columbus and his crew.  But these are all hearsay, and tertiary or greater sources.  I can not find any Primary or secondary sources to back this up, any suggestions?
         YIS,
           Lord Jean-Pierre Colbert le Chasseur de Lorraine

    • Zachary Smith

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
          I am looking for any and all pre-1600's, especially early 1500's.  My persona is an early 1500s French Privateer, about a century and a half too early for the Boucanierre's time period, but I am interested in the time period that leads up to them.
             YIS,
               Lord Jean-Pierre Colbert le Chasseur de Lorraine

          Acting Branch Herald for the Village of Waldhafn
          Youth Armored Combat Senior Marshal
          Rapier Junior Marshal
          Thrown Weapons Junior Marshal
          Member of the Order of the Crystal of the Barony of Glymm Mere
          Member of the Beevarian Guard of the Barony of Glymm Mere
          Tout autour du gentil type

          http://www.facebook.com/blaine.hebert
          http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=149139248430504

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2013
                  I don't believe it's available for free as an ebook but can't they interlibrary loan in a copy for you?
                  Did you ask? You might have to pay for postage but that would still place a copy in your hands.
                  I know if you walked into my library and had asked about it, I could locate and loan in a copy for you.

                  Otherwise Amazon offers it for
                  Paperback $19.35
                  which is not that much. You can examine it for free at

                  Johnnae
                  who holds an MSLIS and was a County Librarian

                  On Mar 2, 2013, at 5:17 PM, Jean Colbert wrote:

                  I have checked the Timberland Regional Library, and they do not have a copy.  I have checked online for free e-book/pdf formats, but have not found any.  I can not afford to buy a copy, so if anyone has an e-book/pdf I can borrow, I would be greatly appreciative.
                     YIS,
                        Lord Jean-Pierre Colbert le Chasseur de Lorraine

                  Have you already looked at the suggested book

                  Warnes, Andrew. Savage Barbecue: Race, Culture, and the Invention of America's First Food. Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press, 2008. ?

                  Johnnae llyn Lewis.