Recipe of the Week February 14th 2013

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 14, 2013
      Just what you need for Valentine's day, recipes for onions! Okay so
      maybe that wasn't very good planning but eat them with your loved one.

      Onions are one of our oldest vegetables. While exact origins are hotly
      debated, onions have been cultivated for at least 5000 years. They are
      referred to in Vedic documents from India and were well known in Egypt.
      Evidence of onions growing gardens has been found in Pompeii.

      They will grow all over Europe and were found already growing wild in
      the Americas when Europeans arrived here.

      Besides culinary applications, onions were also used as medicine in a
      large variety of remedies.

      Das Kochbuch des Meisters Eberhard,a 15th century recipe collection and
      dietetics text from the court of Bayern-Landshut makes these notes on
      them: (English Translation by Giano Balestriere).

      Onions are hot in the fourth degree and moist in the third and cause
      unchastity and headaches. To those who eat them raw they cause bad
      moisture and great thirst.

      Hmm unchastity, maybe not such a bad idea for Valentines Day.

      Apicius quotes Varro on onions(Bulbs) thusly:

      Cooked in water they are conducive to love and are therefore also served
      at wedding feasts, but also seasoned with pignolia nut or with the juice
      of colewort, or mustard, and pepper. (This Roman recipe is from de re
      coquinaria, English translation from Vehling’s Apicius Cookery and
      Dining in Imperial Rome, 1936, Dover reprint 1977. Extent copies from
      the eighth century. The text is various believed to date to the fourth
      century or as early as the first of the common era.)

      From a little later in Italy we find this recipe:

      Onions
      [22] Take onions sliced and washed well in hot water, and set them to
      cook with meat and cheese, pepper, and saffron; and then add beaten
      eggs, pepper and saffron, if you like, and spices on the plate.

      ( From Anonimo Toscano, Libro della Cocina, The Cookery Book dates to
      the late 14th or early 15th c. The English translation is the work of
      Vittoria Aureli from the digital version of the original: posted by
      Thomas Gloning )

      Well let's stop here for the week before I get a little too long winded.

      Good Cooking
      Rycheza
    • David Walddon
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 14, 2013
        Come to Kingdom Arts and Sciences and eat onions with me!
        One of my entries involves cooked onions!
        Eduardo

        On Feb 14, 2013, at 7:12 PM, The Henson's wrote:

[...]

        From a little later in Italy we find this recipe:

        Onions
        [22] Take onions sliced and washed well in hot water, and set them to
        cook with meat and cheese, pepper, and saffron; and then add beaten
        eggs, pepper and saffron, if you like, and spices on the plate.

        ( From Anonimo Toscano, Libro della Cocina, The Cookery Book dates to
        the  late 14th or early 15th c. The English translation is the work of
        Vittoria Aureli from the digital version of the original: posted by
        Thomas Gloning )

        Well let's stop here for the week before I get a little too long winded.

        Good Cooking

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           Antir_culinary-digest@yahoogroups.com
           Antir_culinary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 15, 2013
          Yeah! Looking forward to seeing Eduardo's entries. We do have space
          reserved for a Guild display. And as it turns out I will be able to
          attend so I can wrangle things there. But we do need stuff to display.
          (And I could use some help at the table.) I know Raffaella volunteered
          some items. I'll bring some of the DL Cookbooks. Anyone else have
          cookbooks or other items that could be displayed? Would love to have
          some stuff about Culinary Symposium. Is your group having an event with
          a culinary tie-in like a feast?

          Rycheza

          On 2/14/2013 7:50 PM, David Walddon wrote:

          > Come to Kingdom Arts and Sciences and eat onions with me!
          > One of my entries involves cooked onions!
          > Eduardo

        • Jeanne Wood
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 15, 2013
            I would like to bring some cooking pots. How much table space would you like me to cover?
            ~Morgaina

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
              I think some cooking pots would be great! I am not really sure how big
              the tables are ( I suppose I could ask. My only excuse for being off
              pace with this is that I am behind on a number of spring projects due to
              a looming family thing that has been gratefully postponed til fall.)
              I imagine we will have something between four and eight feet. So maybe
              if you planned on bringing about two feet of pots, that would give us
              enough to spread to make a good showing if we have a lot of space but
              still not overwhelm us with a smaller space. Or whatever you feel
              comfortable with. I know you have a ways to come while we are only
              commuting about an hour from DL.
              Thanks
              Rycheza

              On 2/15/2013 4:49 PM, Jeanne Wood wrote:

              > I would like to bring some cooking pots. How much table space would you
              > like me to cover?
              > ~Morgaina

            • baronessfiamma
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
                I can bring a few things as well. I have a nice framed picture of a 15th C. feast scene, period tablecloth and a small display of period spices.

                Ciao,
                Fiamma

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 21, 2013
                  That sounds good. Thanks.

                  Rycheza

                  On 2/19/2013 11:49 AM, Fiammetta@... wrote:
                  > I can bring a few things as well. I have a nice framed picture of a 15th
                  > C. feast scene, period tablecloth and a small display of period spices.
                  > Ciao,
                  > Fiamma
                  > In a message dated 2/19/2013 11:39:15 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                  > mhenson@... writes:
                  >
                  > > Subject: [Antir_culinary] and Speaking of KAS
                  > >
                  > > Yeah! Looking forward to seeing Eduardo's entries. We do have space
                  > > reserved for a Guild display. And as it turns out I will be able to
                  > > attend so I can wrangle things there. But we do need stuff to
                  > display.

                • Raphaella DiContini
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 22, 2013
                    I can also bring goods to add to her table cloth, perhaps a small "Italian Renaissance table" display with historically accurate forks, plates, cup, etc.

                    In joyous service,
                    Raffaella

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 26, 2013
                      That sounds good.

                      I am only day-tripping to KA&S. And at the moment only planning on
                      Saturday. If there is anyone who is staying at the hotel who could be a
                      contact point for the Guild would be great. I' am not asking for someone
                      to run the display but to be a back-up contact if I am delayed in the
                      morning and to possibly help return items to their owners afterwards.

                      Any help with the display will be greatly appriciated, even if it is
                      only for an hour or so.

                      Rycheza