Recipe of the Week Jan 31st, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2013
      Here we are at the end of the month and what else but a pie and a
      little something special for Lent.

      The Cookbook of Sabina Welserin has a number of recipes designated as
      egg tarts. Most combine the eggs with milk or cream to make a custard,
      But here’s one that features almonds and rice.

      129 An egg tart with beaten eggs
      Take eight eggs for a repast and beat them well and prepare them as for
      an egg dish. Take a half handful of blanched almonds, pound them small
      and put rose water therein, take a half handful of rice and let it cook
      a little, pour it on a cloth, so that it drains, and pound it with the
      almonds, take the beaten eggs and mix them also into it. Put cinnamon
      therein, pour it on a small pastry shell, let it bake nicely, so that it
      becomes brown, and when you will bring it to the table, then sprinkle it
      with cinnamon.

      This Lenten version of fried eggs comes from Inntalkochbuch A late 15th
      or early 16th century recipe collection from Bavaria. Translated by
      Giano Balestriere, it is available on line in Stefan's Florilegium.

      Fried eggs during Lent
      Take blanched almonds, grind them up and pass through a cloth with
      water. Boil in a pan like a /mus/ until it thickens. Take fat /Hausen/
      [a freshwater fish of the sturgeon variety, now almost unobtainable],
      vut it into cubes and fry it in a pan like fat bacon, remove the fried
      bits and put the almond puree into the fat. Spread it out with a spoon
      and colour spots (lit. 'eyes') on it like yolks. Press the fried bits of
      fish into the white part between the yolks, sprinkle it with sugar, and
      keep it warm until you serve it.

      Next Month we will be looking at recipe featuring members of the onion
      famiily. Til then, Good Cooking Rycheza