Re: [Antir_culinary] Recipe of the Week Jan 17th, 2013

  • David Walddon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2013
      On the Martino recipe - We tried this at AnTir West War this year.
      Be very careful when you try to remove the eggs from the grill.
      And the grill bars must be close enough together so as to not slip through the cracks.
      Much fun was had.
      Not quite as much as spitting eggs, but it was still fun!

      David Walddon
      360-402-6135 Cell

      On Jan 17, 2013, at 9:58 PM, The Henson's wrote:

      They say you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.  This week we
      have a few variations on the omelet.

      First off we find the French don’t let us down. Here are a couple of
      versions from Le Menagier de Paris (Janet Hinson Translation, available
      on line):

      OMELETTE FRIED WITH SUGAR. Take out all the whites and beat the yolks,
      then put some sugar in a frying-pan and let it melt, and then fry your
      yolks in it, then put on a plate, with sugar on them.

      TO MAKE A FINE OMELETTE WITH EGGS. Take seven eggs and remove the whites
      from two and put those in a bowl, and break all the others and beat with
      the two extra yolks, and fry; and it will be yellow.
      Or, take six or twelve eggs and remove the whites and beat the yolks,
      and fry in oil, and let it be well spread out over the skillet, and cut
      in lozenges, and each lozenge should be turned over with the flipper,
      then put on the plate half an omelette fried in the ordinary way and
      four lozenges of these yolks, and some of the sugar sort fried in the
      ordinary way.

      Maestro Martino also contributes a few:

      Eggs on the Grill
      Beat two fresh eggs together and heat an empty pan until very hot; and
      drop the beaten eggs into the pan, allowing them to spread all over the
      pan, in the same manner as for a frittata as thin as paper. When they
      appear to be done, fold into four quarters so that it is square just
      like a little box.  Placeit on the grill, breaking over it as many fresh
      eggs as you think it is able to hol on top, and apply moderate hear from
      below and above like a torte, topping with sugar and cinnamon; and when
      it appears to you that the eggs have taken, remove from the grill and
      serve together with their square beneath them.

      Eggs in a Pan
      Put some good butter into small pans or copper pans and heat slightly;
      and take some previously prepared fresh egg yolks, separated from the
      whites., if you prefer, and cook them in the pan, topping with some
      sugar and cinnamon,; apply moderate heat from below and above, making
      sure that they do not overcook. Then top with a little orange juice or
      rose water.

      Next week we’ll look at some egg and herb dishes.
      Good Cooking

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional