Recipe of the Week Nov 30, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2012
      Well, here we are at the end of the month. Just a few more mushroom
      recipes and then I'll be taking a hiatus from Recipe of the Week for the
      holiday season. (Frankly, I get so behind on these that I end up missing
      a lot of weeks this time of year. I though it best just to take the time
      off instead of disappointing anyone.)

      And what a lot of holidays there are!! And so many for foodies!

      Some December Holidays:
      December 1st: Eat A Red Apple Day and National Pie Day We could
      combine them and make a red apple pie?
      December 2nd: National Fritters Day
      December 4th: National Cookie Day
      December 7th: National Cotton Candy Day
      December 8th: National Brownie Day
      December 11th: National Noodle Ring Day
      December 13th: National Cocoa Day
      December 16th: Boston Tea Party Anniversary Okay not really a party but
      there was tea. sort of? Plus we get National Chocolate Covered
      Anything Day
      December 17th:National Maple Syrup Day
      December 19th:Oatmeal Muffin Day
      December 23rd:Roots Day Could that be root vegetables?
      December 24th: National Egg Nog Day
      December 25th:National Pumpkin Pie Day
      December 28th: Chewing Gum Patented In 1869. Plus National Chocolate Day
      December 29th:Pepper Pot Day

      But back to mushrooms...

      It is often unclear in most of our recipes whether the mushrooms were
      fresh or dried but here are two that specify dried mushrooms.

      First from the Translation of Libro di cucina/ Libro per cuoco
      (14th/15th c.) (Anonimo Veneziano) by Helewyse de Birkestad, OL (MKA
      Louise Smithson)

      XXV Mushrooms
      If you want to make mushrooms, take dried mushrooms and put them to soak
      in hot water and wash them well. Then boil them a little and make them
      cook how you want and prefer. Then take onions and herbs and season
      with strong and sweet spices, and then add the mushrooms and fry
      everything together. Take unpeeled almonds and grind them and then put
      on top of the mushroom dish, alternatively you can add verjuice and it
      needs to be served hot.

      From Anonimo Toscano, Libro della Cocina The Cookery Book, late 14th
      or early 15th c. Translated by Vittoria Aureli

      [62] Another preparation. Take dried mushrooms, and let them soften from
      evening until morning; and throw the water away, slice them thin with a
      knife, and a bit of the white part of a leek, or onion, and set them to
      fry in oil or lard and spices and chestnuts and vinegar, and a bit of
      water and salt. And then add mustard and cooked must, and pork, if it
      pleases you.

      We’ll finish up with a mushroom subtlety that includes absolutely no
      mushrooms but rather makes an almond paste mushroom with the help of a
      mold.

      Cookbook of Sabina Welserin translator Valoise Armstrong.

      51 Almond chanterelles
      Pound the almonds, as you would to make marzipan, put sugar thereon, but
      not too much, take after that the chanterelle mushroom mold, clean it
      and take a small brush, dip it in almond oil and brush the mold with it,
      also with a brush of rose water. And put the almond paste into the
      mushroom mold and blow through the tube [so that the almond mushroom
      falls] onto a sheet of paper, and let it bake in a tart pan and sprinkle
      it with starch flour, then they will be white.

      Thanks for everything and may you all have a happy and healthy holiday
      season. Good cooking