Recipe of the Week Nov 15th

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2012
      I'd like to thank Johnnae for send us the that nice selection of German
      Mushroom recipes. That was a new resource for me and I'm sure there are
      many more collections like it that are for some reason not commonly
      available. I'd certainly like to see more of them.

      For our recipes this week I've turned back to another out Vehling's
      translation of de re cocquinaria I know we looked at a few earlier, but
      I wanted to compare that to the second of our recipes this week which
      comes from the much later, Anonimo Toscano.

      314 another way of cooking mushrooms boletos aliter
      Slice the mushroom stems and finish by covering them with eggs adding
      pepper, lovage, a little honey, broth and oil to taste.

      And from Anonimo Toscano, Libro della Cocina The Cookery Book, late
      14th or early 15th c. Translated by Vittoria Aureli

      Mushrooms.
      [60] Take mountain mushrooms, boiled, and onions fried in lard, and set
      them to boil with spices and other savory herbs, and beaten eggs; and serve.

      And one more from the same source:
      [61] Another preparation. Take mountain mushrooms, and boil them; and
      throw away the water, then fry them with finely minced onion, or with
      the white part of a leek, spices and salt; and serve.

      Good Cooking