Recipe of the Week, Nov 1st, 2012

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2012
      Why did the mushroom always get invited to the party? Because he was
      such a fungi!

      Okay, bad jokes aside the mushroom has a long history in gastronomy.
      Over 120,000 species of mushroom or fungi have been identified around
      the world. Of these only a little over 1800 are considered safe to eat
      and over 300 are now cultivated. Already in classical times several
      varieties of ‘shrooms were being cultivated, but some continue to resist
      efforts of domestication and can still only be gathered wild.

      Let’s start with some simple preparations for mushrooms. The following
      recipes can be interpreted as marinated mushrooms and made well ahead of
      serving time. We’ll start with a pair from the Roman text de re
      coquinaria as translated by Joseph Dommers Vehling in Apicius: Cookery
      and dining in imperial Rome (1936) Reprinted by Dover

      310 for Morels in Fungis farneis
      Pepper reduced wine, vinegar and oil.

      311 Another way of cooking morels aliter fungi farni
      In salt water , with oil, pure wine, and serve with chopped coriander.

      And follow up with a recipe from the other end of our time spectrum with
      To dress mushrooms in the Italian Fashion The Accomplisht Cook, Robert
      May, 1685

      Take mushrooms, peel & wash then, and boil them in a skillet with water
      and salt, but first let the liquor boil with sweet herbs, Parsley, and a
      crust of bread, being boil’d. drain them from the water, and fry them in
      sweet sallet oil; being fried serve them in a dish with oil, vinegar,
      pepper, and fried parsley, or fry them in clarified butter.

      Good Cooking
      Rycheza
    • johnnaellynlewis
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2012
        One often overlooked source for mushroom recipes in translation appears here. It's not indexed in medievalcookery.com, but it deserves wider acclaim, so I'll mention it:

        http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/misc/23GermanMushroomRecipes.html

        Twenty-three German Mushroom Recipes
        Translated by Anahita
        now known as Urtatim (err-tah-TEEM)

        Johnnae

        --- In Antir_culinary@yahoogroups.com, "The Henson's" <mhenson@...> wrote:

        > Why did the mushroom always get invited to the party? Because he was
        > such a fungi!
        >
        > Okay, bad jokes aside the mushroom has a long history in gastronomy. snipped
        > Good Cooking
        > Rycheza

      • Mandy
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
          There are loads of great sources beyond medieval cookery, though the site is a pretty darn good leaping point... and yeah, a lot of translating (mostly still on groups I think?) was done on this book... by that I mean an incredible amount!

          Mandy
          (SCA: Mergriet)

          --- In Antir_culinary@yahoogroups.com, "johnnaellynlewis" <johnnae@...> wrote:

          > One often overlooked source for mushroom recipes in translation appears here. It's not indexed in medievalcookery.com, but it deserves wider acclaim, so I'll mention it:
          >
          > http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/misc/23GermanMushroomRecipes.html
          >
          > Twenty-three German Mushroom Recipes
          > Translated by Anahita
          > now known as Urtatim (err-tah-TEEM)
          >
          > Johnnae
        • Johnna Holloway
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 12, 2012

            The now complete, copyrighted version of her English translation of Ein New Kochbuch is in the file section of that list. It's been done in parts, so it's not

            in one complete file. Cooking Rumpolt not a public list, so you will need to ask and be approved to join.

            Ranvaig/Sharon Palmer was the first to get at least a rough  translation done of the massive book. Took her four plus years. Mistress Gwencat managed to put up several sections on her website earlier and you can see her work here:  http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_Rumpolt1.htm

            Johnnae

            On Nov 11, 2012, at 11:49 PM, Mandy wrote:

            There are loads of great sources beyond medieval cookery, though the site is a pretty darn good leaping point... and yeah, a lot of translating (mostly still on groups I think?) was done on this book... by that I mean an incredible amount!

            Mandy
            (SCA: Mergriet)

            --- In Antir_culinary@yahoogroups.com, "johnnaellynlewis" <johnnae@...> wrote:

            > One often overlooked source for mushroom recipes in translation appears here. It's not indexed in medievalcookery.com, but it deserves wider acclaim, so I'll mention it:
            >
            > http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/misc/23GermanMushroomRecipes.html
            >
            > Twenty-three German Mushroom Recipes
            > Translated by Anahita
            > now known as Urtatim (err-tah-TEEM)
            >
            > Johnnae
            _._,___

          • Mandy
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 14, 2012
              Thank you for the detail... am amazing amount of work, followed it a bit a goodly while back but then life happened and felt bad that I couldn't remember enough details to drag up the group info

              Mandy
              (Mergriet)