Recipe of The Week Oct 25th, 2012

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2012
      We’ll finish up October with a selection of German sausages from the
      Cook Book of Sabina Welserin. Some of these may sound familiar.

      23 If you would make a good sausage for a salad
      Then take ten pounds of pork and five pounds of beef, always two parts
      pork to one part of beef. That would be fifteen pounds. To that one
      should take eight ounces of salt and two and one half ounces of pepper,
      which should be coarsely ground, and when the meat is chopped, put into
      it at first two pounds of bacon, diced. According to how fat the pork
      is, one can use less or more, take the bacon from the back and not from
      the belly. And the sausages should be firmly stuffed. The sooner they
      are dried the better. Hang them in the parlor or in the kitchen, but not
      in the smoke and not near the oven, so that the bacon does not melt.
      This should be done during the crescent moon, and fill with the minced
      meat well and firmly, then the sausages will remain good for a long
      while. Each sausage should be tied above and below and also fasten a
      ribbon on both ends with which they should be hung up, and every two
      days they should be turned, upside down, and when they are fully dried
      out, wrap them in a cloth and lay them in a box.

      25 If you would make good bratwurst
      Take four pounds of pork and four pounds of beef and chop it finely.
      After that mix with it two pounds of bacon and chop it together and pour
      approximately one quart of water on it. Also add salt and pepper
      thereto, however you like to eat it, or if you would like to have some
      good herbs, you could take some sage and some marjoram, then you have
      good bratwurst.

      26 If you would make good liverwurst
      First take a quarter of a pig's liver, also a quarter of a pig's lungs,
      chop them small, after that chop bacon into small cubes and put salt and
      caraway seeds into it. The liver and lungs must first be cooked, before
      they are chopped, and afterwards pour as much of this broth on the
      chopped meat as you feel is enough. Then take the intestines from the
      slaughterhouse and fill them full, then you have good sausage

      Good Cooking
      Rycheza
    • Mandy
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 27, 2012
        From experience, the bratwurst are really divine, though I do the herbs by sight so not exactly the same each time. We like to finish them up with some smoke, usually apple but not always

        What I really want to try is the cured tongue... can't remember which German cook-book off hand though

        Mergriet