Recipe of the Week Oct 18th, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2012
      How about a few pickled meats? From Robert de Nola’s Libro del coch
      (1520), as translated by Robin Carroll-Mann, we have pickled rabbits.
      (This translation is available on Stefan's Florilegium) While it not a
      dish designed to be kept long term it clearly states it can be kept for
      many days.

      148. PICKLED RABBITS
      Robert de nola
      ESCABECHE DE CONEJOS

      Roast the rabbits, and cut them at the joints; and take in a frying-pan:
      two parts of vinegar and one of water if the vinegar is weak; if [the
      vinegar] is strong, equal parts [of vinegar and water]; and cast in salt
      until you see that it has flavor; and cast in the salt in stages, not
      all together, so that it does not become salty; and cast in oil which is
      sweet, the quantity that seems [right] to you, because some wish a
      little and others, a lot; and give it a boil without the rabbits; and
      then cast everything together into a pot, and set it apart so that it
      will cool; and cast in ginger, cloves, and saffron; and this escabeche
      will last many days.

      From Inntalkochbuch, An early 16th century recipe collection from
      Bavaria translated by Giano Balestriere I have included this recipe for
      pickled chickens although it does not seem to be meant to be stored but
      served fresh.

      Pickled chickens
      Take raisins, onions, almonds, vinegar and wine, cut the chickens into
      three parts, put them into the pickle, spice them and serve.

      And from the cookbook of Sabina Welserin (1553) (Translation by Valoise
      Armstrong) we have a recipe for pickled tongue.

      27 If you would make good pickled tongue. They are best made in January,
      then they will keep the whole year
      First take twenty five tongues or as many as you will and take them one
      after the other and pound them back and front on a chopping block, then
      they will be long. After that pound salt small and coat the tongues in
      salt. Take then a good small tub and put salt in the bottom, after that
      lay a layer of tongues as close together as possible, put more salt on
      them so that it is entirely white from salt. In this manner always place
      a layer of tongues, after that a layer of salt, until they are all laid
      out. Then weigh them down well so that they are covered by the brine and
      allow them to remain for fifty days, afterwards hang them for four days
      in smoke. When they have smoked enough, hang them next in the air, then
      you have good smoked tongue.

      Good Cooking