Recipe of the Week Oct 11, 20012

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2012
      Sorry to get out of the gate a bit late this month. I thought we'd take
      a look at recipes for preserving meat such as in the form of sausages,
      pickles and salted. We'll start with a couple of sausage recipes. The
      first is from Libro di cucina/ Libro per cuoco (14th/15th c.) (Anonimo
      Veneziano) from the translation by Helewyse de Birkestad, OL (MKA
      Louise Smithson) followed by some directions from Menagier de Paris as
      translated by Janet Hinson.

      > CXXV To make smoked yellow sausage
      > Take twenty five pounds of pork, which is not that from the neck nor
      from the leg, but is the meat from the meat from the ribs or the
      shoulder, otherwise take twenty pounds of meat and five pounds of fat,
      which is the same thing. Take more or less dependent on how much you
      want to serve. Chop everything well with a knife, then have fifteen
      ounces of white cheese and fifteen ounces of salt from Sardinia or two
      pounds of salt from Chiogga, and six ounces of red pepper. Make sure
      that the salt and the cheese are finely chopped and mixed well into the
      batter. Stuff the intestines and let them rest for two days, more if
      the weather is cold and clear, more is better. Then put them to smoke.
      You can also add to the batter saffron and spices, as much as you feel
      is appropriate.
      > * The recommendation for meat types is based on the fat content of
      the meat. Essentially the cuts of shoulder and ribs are very fatty and
      no extra fat is needed. If the leaner cuts of leg, collar and loin are
      used the recipe recommends that you take 20 pounds of these meats and 5
      pounds of pork fat.

      Menagier de Paris
      > To Make Sausages. When you have killed your pig, take some chops,
      first from the part they call the filet, and then take some chops from
      the other side and some of the best fat, as much of the one as of the
      other, enough to make as many sausages as you need; and have it finely
      chopped and ground by a pastry-cook. Then grind fennel and a little fine
      salt, and then take your ground fennel, and mix thoroughly with a
      quart[129] of powdered spices; then mix your meat, your spices and your
      fennel thoroughly together, and then fill the guts, that is to say, the
      small gut. (And know that the guts of an old porker are better for this
      purpose than those of a young pig, because they are larger.) And after
      this, smoke them for four days or more, and when you want to eat them,
      put them in hot water and bring just to boiling, and then put on the grill

      Good Cooking