Re: [Antir_culinary] Butter of Fresh Cheese

  • Rikke D. Giles
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 14, 2012
      On 09/14/2012 09:07:35 AM, Lisa Mohr wrote:
      > I've been thinking about this as well, and wonder if the idea is not
      > to make 'butter' per se but to get a soft, malleable milkfat product
      > that one can use in making pastry.  Fresh cheeses are often high in
      > fat and this looks like it would extract that pretty effectively.
      >
      > Again, why comes to mind.  My only conclusion so far is that this
      > might be something you would do if you had only fresh cheese, and no
      > butter handy.

      I keep coming up against the reason why too. It's easy to just take
      the skimmed butterfat from the milk and use that, if one wants a soft,
      malleable milkfat product. So far the most sensible reason is that one
      only has fresh cheese, and one needs butterfat from it NOW, like you
      suggested! Heh.

      This can't be, to my mind, a 'fresh' version of a cheese like parmesan
      or it's variants. Those are made with skimmed milk. Indeed, the
      modern version is more skimmed than I can do by hand, although that
      might also be a result of goat versus cow milk. Anyway, there's not
      much fat at all left in the cheese.

      It could perhaps be a Romano type cheese. Those do have fat left in
      the milk, in fact there's enough fat seeping from the cheese after it's
      made to make a rind without adding olive oil! It's only after a period
      of aging that the olive oil is needed.

      A fresh cheese, simply made with full fat milk, or even hand skimmed
      milk, would have some fat left in it...

      Another thought just occurred. If a cheese is starting to blow, and
      you can often tell while making it if it's going to blow early, maybe
      this is a way to save something good from it? I note the recipe
      doesn't mention anything like that, however.

      Anyway, probably the only way to figure anything out is to make the
      recipe. I am naturally reluctant to take cheeses that require hours of
      making and mash them back into oblivion (like a fresh parmesan). But
      perhaps starting with a lower time commitment cheese like a chevre or a
      variant would be ok.

      Aelianora
    • Wendi Dunlap
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 14, 2012
        Raphaella DiContini wrote:
        > This manuscript is from northern Italy- specifically Venice, although
        > some of the recipes are also seen in other manuscripts across Europe. I
        > do find it interesting that there is another "butter alternate" recipe
        > in this book for lent, and it comes directly after "butter of fresh
        > cheese".

        > Here is my interpretation with photos:
        > http://allvenicechannel.dreamwidth.org/4843.html

        [Ears perking up]

        [delurking]

        Did someone mention almond cheese? That was my latest project, but from
        other sources:
        http://slumberland.org/sca/articles/almond_cheese.pdf

        Looks like yours came out pretty much exactly the same. Very cool.

        \-\ Wenyeva atte grene * "In tenebris lux" * pronounced WEN-yuh-vuh
        \-\ Armorum Servula, quam Ancoram Caeruleam dicunt
        \-\ Per chevron argent and vert, three beacons counterchanged.
      • Mandy
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 17, 2012
          Coolness...
          I missed a lot of this conversation but it encouraged me to dig up my old 2007 Northern Lights (EK event) entry documents... not the final copy with the pretty cover page and stuff but it's pretty much what I did for almond butter (some of which was really more like a cheese).
          https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0WLvLylhvfUb1V3TUlyOHVENjg

          stuff is pretty tasty, though have not made it much since

          Mandy
          (SCA: Mergriet van Wijenhorst)