Recipe of the Week August 16th, 2012

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 16, 2012
      Well surprise more fritter recipes.

      Cheese became a popular ingredient for fritters early on.
      From Cato’s On Agriculture
      79. Globi to be made thus: mix cheese and emmer as above; make as many
      balls as you want. Put fat in a hot bronze pan: cook one or two at a
      time, turning them frequently with two sticks. When cooked remove them,
      coat in honey, roll in poppy-seeds, serve.

      80. Make encytum in the same way as globi, except that you use a deep
      pierced dish with which you stream into the hot fat; form neatly as with
      spira, turn with two sticks and use these to present. Coat likewise.
      Allow to colour, but do not overheat. Serve with honey or with mulsum.

      Inntalkochbuch An early 16th century recipe collection from Bavaria
      translated by Giano Balestriere.Gives us

      Fritters, bent like horseshoes
      > Great good [hard, trsl.] cheese and take half the amount of flour,
      break eggs into it enough for the dough to be soft enough to be rolled
      out, and add spices. Roll it out on a board into a sausage-shape. Bend
      that and fry it in lard.

      For fritters in a bowl
      > Take grated cheese and flour in equal amounts, break eggs into it and
      season it well, knead it and roll it out on a board. Cut the dough into
      strips, fry them in a pan with lard and then cut them into a bowl.

      And the Italians were not left out.
      From Libro di cucina/ Libro per cuoco (14th/15th c.) (Anonimo
      Veneziano) as translated by Helewyse de Birkestad, OL (MKA Louise
      Smithson)

      > XXVI Magnificent Imperial Fritters
      > If you want to make Imperial fritters, take the whites of eggs and
      slices of fresh cheese. Beat them (the cheese) with the white of the
      egg, and add a little bit of wheat flour and whole peeled pine nuts.
      Take a frying pan with plenty of grease (oil) and put it to boil (heat)
      then make the fritters (fry in the fat). When they are cooked sprinkle
      them with plenty of sugar and keep them hot, etc.

      LXIV Ravioli in another way and called “licaproprii”
      > Take sweet fresh cheese and squeeze out all the water, then mash it
      well and temper (mix) with egg whites and add a little wheat flour.
      Have melted strained lard and make the “licaproprii”
      (dumplings/fritters) with well floured hands. Make them large and round
      like apples, and put them to cook slowly and carefully (fry them in the
      lard), when they are cooked take them out of the grease and powder them
      well with sugar and send them hot to the table.
      > * - no translation for licaproprii could be found in any source
      available to me.

      Forme of Curye goves us this simple fritter

      > .Cxlviij. Frytour of mylk.
      >
      > Take cruddes & presse out the wheye.
      > do therto sum whyte of ayroun. frye
      > hem do therto & lay on suger & messe forth.

      More fritter recipes next week...

      Good Cooking
      Rycheza
    • Sheri L. Rees
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 16, 2012
        The Persian / Arab ones I make are filled dough fritters.
        I think the recipe calls for a mixture of goat & sheep cheese.

        When I've made them onsite before, I've used a yeasty beer for the leavening and then pan-fried them.

        I'll try to dig out the recipe tonight.
        (Need to soon to be ready for Crown anyhow...)
        Shadhra

        Cheese became a popular ingredient for fritters early on.
        From Cato’s On Agriculture
        79. Globi to be made thus: mix cheese and emmer as above; make as many
        balls as you want. Put fat in a hot bronze pan: cook one or two at a
        time, turning them frequently with two sticks. When cooked remove them,
        coat in honey, roll in poppy-seeds, serve.

        80. Make encytum in the same way as globi, except that you use a deep
        pierced dish with which you stream into the hot fat; form neatly as with
        spira, turn with two sticks and use these to present. Coat likewise.
        Allow to colour, but do not overheat. Serve with honey or with mulsum.

        Inntalkochbuch An early 16th century recipe collection from Bavaria
        translated by Giano Balestriere.Gives us

        Fritters, bent like horseshoes
        > Great good [hard, trsl.] cheese and take half the amount of flour,
        break eggs into it enough for the dough to be soft enough to be rolled
        out, and add spices. Roll it out on a board into a sausage-shape. Bend
        that and fry it in lard.

        For fritters in a bowl
        > Take grated cheese and flour in equal amounts, break eggs into it and
        season it well, knead it and roll it out on a board. Cut the dough into
        strips, fry them in a pan with lard and then cut them into a bowl.

        And the Italians were not left out.
        From Libro di cucina/ Libro per cuoco (14th/15th c.) (Anonimo

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 2012
          Sounds yummy!