Re: [Antir_culinary] Offal pie at the war?

  • David Walddon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2012
      I would totally eat it except that I can't have gluten.
      Most people at the cooks camp would be willing to try it.
      Usually on the first day of the war we do not do potluck we have camps to set up and people come in at all hours.
      Not sure Wed. is the right day for this.

      Eduardo

      On Jun 29, 2012, at 11:55 AM, Karen Kidd wrote:

      Greetings Everyone!

      First post on this list, I hope I get it right.

      I've been thinking, a while, about bringing an offal pie to the war, perhaps to be served Wednesday night. Maybe. I'm wondering what y'all think.

      Y'see, I shop a lot at Lifesource in Salem and, once in a very great while, I can score a beef heart there and I did so a few weeks ago. It is from a hormone free, grass fed, no nasty Monsanto-stuff, locally raise cow. When I scored it and put it into my freezer, I decided right then I would make an offal, or "humble", pie for the war and I've got it fairly well documented.

      K, now that I'm closer to the war (like days away), I'm starting to wonder how practical this is and if it will be received well enough to be worth the effort. For one thing, I will have to ask for assistance, from a gentle not yet identified, to get it heated up again. For another, how many people will be all that excited to try it? I like offal meat but many don't.

      What do you all think. Should I make it and bring it?

      My pipkin is still a virgin but that will continue. I'm now shop keeper for the AnTir Moneyers Guild so I need to hang out there lots. But I still want to learn :-)

      I hope everyone is well.

      Take care.

      --Karen

    • Karen Kidd
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2012
        Greetings again!

        Thank you Refr and Eduardo, I feel a bit more encouraged. Eduardo, perhaps you could eat the filling and not the crust?

        I will put together a pie based on recipes I'm studying in Robert May's "The Accomplisht Cook". I know it's from 1660, so a bit late, but I can't seem to locate an offal, or umble, pie recipe from period. Of course, I'm making some adjustments as well for modern sensibilities (the crust will be edible).

        I'll bring it over Thursday night, I hope someone will be able to help me warm it up. Today I also scored two bags of hardwood charcoal for use at the culinary encampment. I expect the moneyers to be just across as we have been the last two years.

        Looking forward to seeing everyone :-)

        --Karin