Recipe of The week March 1st, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2012
      For March I thought we’d try a few to take advantage of that bargain
      basement priced cabbage the stores trot out for St. Paddy’s day.
      Cabbage is one of the earlier cultivated vegetables, prized by Ancient
      Egyptians and Greeks. Cabbage appeared in Northern Europe about 2,000
      years ago bred up from coastal plants that still grow wild in some
      places. Red cabbage joined the family in the sixteenth century.

      Cato, in his On Agriculture, offers a great many notes about cabbage,
      mostly medicinal recommendations. but several of the preparations such
      as cooking cabbage with pork and a raw salad dressed with salt, vinegar
      or a little vinegar honey sound very familiar

      On cabbage as an aid to digestion. He says-
      Cabbage surpasses all vegetables. Eat it either cooked or raw: if you
      eat it raw, dress it with vinegar. It aids digestion remarkably and does
      the bowels good, and the urine will be beneficial for all purposes.
      If you want to drink a lot and eat copiously at a party, eat as much
      cabbage as you want, raw, dressed with vinegar, before dining. Then,
      when about to dine, eat about 5 leaves. You will feel as if you had
      eaten nothing, and you can drink as much as you want.
      Anthimus says “…cabbages are only suitable in winter, for they produce
      black bile.”
      We can hardly think of German food without thinking about sauerkraut,
      but my German sources (someone out there probably has a lot more than I
      do) only touch on cabbage in a few instances, perhaps because it was too
      common to warrant being written about.
      Das Kochbuch des Meisters Eberhard contributes this view of cabbage -
      Cabbage is hot and dries out the body and makes people sing well. The
      juice coming from it is good to drink for sick people and makes bad
      blood, and Rhazes says it causes many bad dreams. It causes bowel
      movements and softens the chest and the throat, and Orbasius orders
      people who have a disease [the dropsy?] in the loins or hands and feet
      to eat cabbage.
      And from Ein Kochbuch aus dem Archiv des Deutschen Ordens A 15th
      century cookbook from East Prussia translated by Giano Balestriere we
      have this recipe.

      If you want to make pickled cabbage
      Boil white cabbage heads, take two parts mustard and one part honey, mix
      them with wine and add caraway. /einþ/ (?) it enough, put the boiled
      cabbage into it and serve it cold. You can also season the broth and
      serve it.

      Cabbage is available year round and can be an inexpensive ingredient to
      balance more pricey items on your feast menu. While cabbage has a long
      history, and was often praised for its medicinal qualities, it continues
      to have a reputation of being peasant food.