Culinary Symposium Update

  • Donna
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2011
      The schedule and class list for the Culinary Symposium is still somewhat in flux, but here are the classes I've got as of now:

      Cooking Over a Fire
      15th c English Table Manners
      Breaking a Pig
      Saffron History & Uses
      Cheesemaking 101
      Intro to Pressed Cheese
      Mozzarella
      Skyr
      Redacting 101
      Viking bread in theory and practice
      Searching Sources
      Fritters
      La Cucina Povera: Italian Peasant Food in the Sixteenth Century
      Camping without a Cooler
      Drying and Preserving Herbs in a Dough Coffin
      Exploring Martino
      Evolution of trenchers and Bread on the medeival table
      Portuguese Goa
      Period Charcouterie Data Review
      Cuisine in the Byzantine Empire
      "Gebachens" – Foods for Fastnacht
      Poultry as Food Animals
      Roman Food
      Ottoman Cooking
      Hands-on Carving: Chickens, Peaches and Pies
      Poultry Processing
      Writing Food History: How to write it and where to publish it?
      Gelatin - savory, sweet, subtlety, and prescription!
      Bread Baking
      Perfectly Period Feast and How We did it
      Period Islamic Cooking

      So, send in those registrations soon.
      http://www.compassstarcatering.com/westculinarysymposium2012.html

      Juana Isabella
    • Donna
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2012
        More updates on the Culinary Symposium:

        We will be having a wonderful keynote speaker. Johnnae llyn Lewis will be discussing her work on the Concordance of English Recipes: Thirteenth to Fifteenth Centuries by Constance Hieatt and J. Terry Nutter with Johnna Holloway; a bibliography for Oxford University Press on the topic of Medieval Food and Drink with Professor CB Hieatt, and her work on English cookery books.

        We will have a book room where you can prowl through the bibliographic collections of your fellow cooks. I will bring my library on SCA appropriate historical cookbooks and books on food. If you have books you want to bring, please do so. Please mark the books as yours (those address labels that charities are always sending out make easy book plates). The book room will be monitored. No food or drink will be allowed in the book room.

        We plan on a display of period serving ware. If you have period serving ware you would like to bring for the display, please do so. If what you have is a reproduction of a period artifact and you have a picture of that artifact, please bring the picture as well. It would be especially good if you can note where your items came from (how you made it, who you bought it from, etc.) so that others can also improve their collections of serving ware and everyone has a better looking table.

        Class Pre-Registration is still on-going. The following clases are already full:
        Viking bread in theory and practice
        Intro to Pressed Cheese
        Skyr
        I am creating a waiting list for those classes. If you want to be on the waiting list for those please let me know. If you want to sign up for others, please let me know.

        I look forward to seeing you at the Culinary Symposium in 18 days :-)

        Juana Isabella