Recipe of The week Oct 20, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2011
      Well, here we are to that time of the week again. As promised, this week
      we have some gourd recipes from an Italian source. These three are from
      Vittoria Aureli's translation of Anonimo Toscano, Libro della Cocina, a
      text dated to the late 14th or early 15th century. (This was previously
      available on the web but was on a geocities site. The original from (I
      believe) a 19th century Italian transcription is posted on Thomas
      Gloning's quite excellent collection of texts.)

      Gourds. [18] Take young gourds, sliced, and wash them in hot water,
      and squeeze them thoroughly in a cloth, and set them to cook with
      fresh pork, and pepper and saffron.

      [19] Another preparation. Also take young gourds, and wash and press
      them thoroughly, with cooked eggs, and with onions, and cheese minced
      very thoroughly, and throw them in boiling water, with pepper and with
      saffron, and enough oil, and salt. And from this you can make ravioli
      with mixed minced meats, and also pies.

      20] Another preparation. Take dried gourd, and put it
      to soften with hot water, in the evening; and when it is softened,
      slice it finely, and slice it on a board, with onions, and with oil,
      pepper and saffron: fry it and put it in a civero [a cooking base;
      see recipe 95] made of vinegar and the soft part of bread, to cook.
      And in this way it can be made with almond milk, pepper, saffron,
      salt and oil with walnut milk.

      I'd like to thank everyone who has added recipes or other items to the
      discussion. It is particularly exciting to see recipes from sources I
      don't have access to, and the botanical information is great from many
      perspectives.

      Good Cooking