RE: [Antir_culinary] Murri

  • Sue Boone
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 29, 2011
      Thanks so much! This sounds like a good project for Culinary Guild Night.

      I haven't tried making anything like this and am unfamiliar with some of the ingredients. Where would you find the Carob?

      I've recommended Trader Joe's or Costco for the Saffon. We'll also check out Dragonmarsh for a source.

      Caitriona

      To: Antir_culinary@yahoogroups.com
      From: JCStapleton@...
      Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:09:12 -0700
      Subject: Re: [Antir_culinary] Murri

      Hi Caitriona ~

      It's funny you should bring this up, because I was just discussing murri with someone this past weekend.

      In my personal opinion, the murri I've had doesn't taste much like soy sauce; further, it changes the consistency of the dish because murri should be thicker than soy sauce.

      Here's the link I use:

      http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/murri.htm

      And right up top, it mentions the soy sauce advice.  If you look at the recipe, you'll see that there are things in there that will produce a flavour very unlike soy sauce - the salty element is all they have in common, really.

      An argument in favour:  she's got a lot of lead time, and murri keeps forever.  So now's the time to get started & maybe experiment with it.  Then it will be ready in time for the feast.

      Scanning the recipe, the only challenging ingredient I see is the nigella seed, & I know for a fact World Spice by Pike Place Market in Seattle carries it, because that's where I bought mine.

      On the saffron issue:  yes, per weight, saffron is the most expensive spice in the world.  *However*, they do not sell it by the pound, *and* you need very little:  an average of 3 threads per dish when I've used it.  There are a lot of threads in one little package.  You're not going to use it by the teaspoonful.  Turmeric is really only an emergency substitute for the colour, and again it lends a different flavour & lacks the distinctive saffron aroma.

      For my final tip here, I'm attaching a link for Dragonmarsh spices:

      http://dragonmarsh.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Dragonmarsh&Category_Code=Historical_Spices

      In the past, they've been willing to supply a certain amount (I think up to 1 oz.) free spices specifically for a group doing an SCA feast.  I'm not certain they're still doing that promotion, but it is worth writing to ask - and I see two very reasonably priced saffron options on the page.

      Berengaria
      Terra Pomaria

      On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Sue Boone <caitrionarussell@...> wrote:

      Greetings,

      I'm looking for help with a source or recipe for Murri.

      The Barony of Aquaterra will be hosting Ursalmas in January. We will be having a feast after the main action Saturday night and the Lady in charge of the feast has been convinced to use soy sauce instead of Murri. (Also, she's also replacing Saffron with Turmeric because "Saffron if the most expensive spice in the world." We'll work on that.) We have 5 months to come up with something so, please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank you
      Lady Caitriona Russell

    • Jeanne McCartney

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 29, 2011
          Road trip to the Market!

          To: Antir_culinary@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 29, 2011
            The Byzantine Murri doesn't taste anything like soy sauce, I've made it.
            It's a bit fruity and burnt.
            It's ok. Goes more into the Morroccan/ African flavour profile.

            The other version of Murri (the rotted/fermented/4 months to make version) does taste more like soy sauce.
            Closest to a tamari soy or a very dark soy.

            Shadhra

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2011
              it changes the consistency of the dish because murri should
              > be thicker than soy sauce.
              >
              > Here's the link I use:
              >
              > http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/murri.htm
              >
              > And right up top, it mentions the soy sauce advice. If you look at the
              > recipe, you'll see that there are things in there that will produce a
              > flavour very unlike soy sauce - the salty element is all they have in
              > common, really.

              and the colour is the same, though I have to agree with their assessment that murri comes closer to miso in texture, thickness and flavour. In the least, it makes a better alternative than soy

              Best is to try and make one's own and compare... been making a lot of my own ingredients, garum (roman cookery) was my first experiment and think it came out fairly well.

              As for the saffron issue... I read someone uses only a few threads, but I have to admit to grinding and infusing a whole $6-ish package but for an item large enough to serve a hall... not too expensive and if good quality, quite potent enough. I would really, Really, advise against using tumeric... not just because of the colour, but the flavour and smell is a terrible replacement for saffron. I would probably use yellow colour before touching tumeric.

              Mandy