Recipe of the Week August 4, 2011

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2011
      A new month a new plan-

      I do hope you have been enjoying our little forays into period recipes.
      Over the past year or more, I have chosen to concentrate on one
      cookbook a month, picking out dishes suitable for an appetizer course,
      main dish and sides followed by a sweet as the weeks marched by. We have
      moved from the Roman Empire through Northern Europe and back again and
      wandered through several centuries.
      As I started the process of selecting recipes for August, I dithered
      over what cookbook to choose. What culture? Forward in time or backward?
      I had the distinct feeling that at one time or another I had already
      delved into everything on my shelf. Did I want to cover the same ground
      or look further afield? Then inspiration struck in the form of massive
      quantities of garden produce. Why not look at recipes for a single
      ingredient or a style of dish across cultures and eras? And so we
      embark on a new adventure…

      This month, following my daughter’s request, we will take a look at
      recipes for Quiche (or quiche-like dishes). Dishes of this sort can be
      a great item to take to potlucks or use for feasts as they can be served
      warm or cold. They are relatively simple and familiar to the populace,
      making them a gentle introduction to period food.

      For this first week in August let’s take a look at French sources.

      Le Viandier de Taillevent, 14th Century Cookery as translated by James
      Prescott, published by Alfarhaugr Publishing Society, 1989

      Quiche Flans

      Mix cream and well beaten eggs yolks, Have pie crusts (larger than
      usual) sprinkled inside with Fine or White Powder. Have eels as thick as
      a fist, scald them, roast them very well, cut them into sections, and
      stand them on end in the flan, three or four in each one. Sugar them
      well when they are cooked, and let them cool.

      Okay, maybe not the best for a gentle introduction, but how about these
      herb tarts from Le Menagier de Paris, translation by Janet Hinson
      available on the miscellany.

      TO MAKE A TART, take four handfuls of beet-leaves, two handfuls of
      parsley, one handful of chervil, a bit of turnip-top and two handfuls of
      spinach, and clean them and wash them in cold water, then chop very
      small: then grate two kinds of cheese, that is one mild and one medium,
      and then put eggs with it, yolk and white, and grate them in with the
      cheese; then put the herbs in the mortar and grind them up together, and
      also add to that some powdered spices. Or in place of this have first
      ground up in the mortar two pieces of ginger, and over this grate your
      cheeses, eggs and herbs, and then throw in some grated old pressed
      cheese or some other such on to the herbs, and carry to the oven, and
      then make it into a tart and eat it hot.

      HERB DISH IN PASTRY COOKED IN THE SKILLET. Beat, grind and mix together
      your eggs and herbs and a piece of ginger as said before, then have some
      pastry kneaded as though for the bottom of a pie, and heat your skillet
      with oil or other grease: then put your kneaded pastry in the bottom of
      the skillet, then put in your pie filling along with a sufficient amount
      of grated cheese. And since the underside, that is the pastry which
      forms the bottom of the tart, will be cooked before the top side is
      barely heated, you should have another skillet the bottom of which has
      been heated, wiped and cleaned, and let this skillet be filled with hot
      coals, and put it inside the first skillet, on and touching the filling,
      so that it may be heated and cooked till dry till both filling and
      pastry are done.

      Next week we will look at some German recipes for herb tarts.

      Good Cooking Rycheza
    • Zachary Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2011
        Thanks for sharing this. I found the double pan cooking especially interesting.

        Edmund Graham

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            Antir_culinary-digest@yahoogroups.com
            Antir_culinary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2011
          I have always thought it was terrible intriguing but haven't quite
          gotten myself arranged to give it a try. I haven't seen anything like it
          anywhere else and would be interested if anyone else had.

          Rycheza

          On 8/5/2011 12:01 PM, Zachary Smith wrote:

          > Thanks for sharing this. I found the double pan cooking especially
          > interesting.
          > Edmund Graham

        • Zachary Smith
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 16, 2011
            The principle is similar to the placement of additional coals on the (RIMMED, NOT DOMED!) lid of a Dutch oven. I'd never come across anything:
            1) using a pan of coals -OR-
            2) that early.

            Edmund Graham