Recipe of The Week July 28th, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2011
      One final recipe from Manuscrito Anonimo, a 13th century Andalusian
      recipe collection. A sweet to finish up the month.

      Mu'aqqad of Honey

      Put a kail of comb honey on a moderate fire until it dissolves, then
      strain it and return it to the fire. Then beat the whites of twenty-five
      eggs, if comb honey, and thirty if not, and throw them into the honey.
      Beat the mixture with a confectionery cane until it whitens and
      thickens. Then throw in a ratl of peeled almonds and serve it, God willing.

      I don't know where we will be going from here, (have been busy making
      some jams and jellies, one Gelly of Red Currents, from Digby, and others
      from a 1912 book, ok, have been way too lazy to have picked out next
      month's recipes as yet) but something will turn up. Remember I do take
      requests even if I can not always fulfill them.

      So until next month, Gook Cooking
      Rycheza

      The translated recipes presented are the work of Charles Perry as
      published by David Friedman on his excellent website. If you are not
      familiar with The Miscellany, a vast collection of articles of a variety
      of SCA topics, most often focused on food, and including many translated
      period texts, I urge you to visit it immediately and often at
      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html