Recipe of The Week July 2011

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2011
      Well, a new month and a new beginning.
      I must apologize for dropping the ball in the past month, but in my
      defense, June has always been a discombobulated month for me. Falling
      after the huge push of preparing for the premiere event in my Barony (
      you may have heard of it, just a little event called Junefaire, ) my
      time and energy is poured into clean-up and recovery. This year, my lord
      and I have also returned to active eventing after several years, and we
      have been out an about every other weekend--still working out all the
      kinks of that experience. But onward and one hopes upward.
      This month I will be sending you recipes from Manuscrito Anonimo, a 13th
      century Andalusian recipe collection. The versions presented are the
      work of Charles Perry as published by David Friedman on his excellent
      website. If you are not familiar with The Miscellany, a vast collection
      of articles of a variety of SCA topics, most often focused on food, and
      including many translated period texts, I urge you to visit it
      immediately and often at
      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html
      I have worked hardly at all with this manuscript and invite commentary
      from those with any experience with it, for it will be far above my own.
      I have tried to stick with recipes that might be worked with the
      ordinary kitchen compliment of ingredients and utensils for the sake of
      those new to the cuisine.
      To start off the month we have two dishes, a version of the somewhat
      familiar, stuffed eggs, and a fish dish that could serve as a first course.

      Stuffed Eggs
      Cook eggs, remove the shells and cut them in half. Remove the yolks, put
      together in a platter and throw on them cilantro, onion juice, spices
      and cinnamon; and it will become a paste with which you will stuff the
      eggs. Tie them with thread and hold them with a small stick. Dissolve
      some egg white and grease them with it along with a little saffron, and
      dust with fine flour and fry with fresh oil on an even fire, and when
      finished, sprinkle with chopped rue and serve. Make a sauce with the
      filling and sprinkle with spikenard and cinnamon, God willing.[94]

      Making Fresh Fish with Eggs
      Scale the fish, salt it, and arrange it in an earthen casserole
      (qaswila, cazuela), having strained for it cilantro juice, and a little
      garlic, which you will pour on it, but not enough to cover. Throw in oil
      and spices and put in the bread oven; when it is done, break eggs in a
      platter, chop rue, sprinkle with a little pepper and some spikenard
      minced fine and pour over the fish at the door of the oven, and when it
      is done, eat with fine wheat flatbreads.

      Good Cooking
      Rycheza z Polska
    • Mandy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 13, 2011
        Don't feel so bad, my hole summer is usually awash when it comes to getting stuff done/organized/you name it

        I've played a lot with the translation you speak of though have to admit that I haven't touched any of the fish dishes yet, unusual since I so love fish

        Mandy
        SCA: Mergriet van Wijenhorst
      • Mandy
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 13, 2011
          "my hole summer"

          err, whole summer
          I can spell ;)

          Also, not sure if it is of any interest here, I finally gotten around to republishing an old website again (it's been through a lot of changes over the years and have been down for a couple)... renamed to old foodays. There is still a ton of recipes to add, especially the ones from my A&S 50 project (presently on FB) and my last A&S competition entry but won't be able to get back to it until after vacation (sometime in September)

          oldfooways.info

          not all SCA but has some SCA stuff in it
          Can't wait to add more stuff :)