FW: [Antir_culinary] allergies- cook off contests?

  • Jay Rairigh
    Message 1 of 13 , May 27, 2011
      Is there interest?  Shall I  ask to have space set aside for the guild?  Kathryn

      To: antir_culinary@yahoogroups.com
      From: jasonkathryn@...
      Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 23:24:35 -0700
      Subject: RE: [Antir_culinary] allergies- cook off contests?

      I think that the creative juices are flowing, but there is a need for more information.
      There is a nice quiet event coming up in August where further discussion is possible;
      Fibers and Fletching put on by the Canton of Bearwood.

      Would the Guild like space to do a test-run of the allergen free pot-luck?  We have the owner's
      permission to have ground fires, fire marshal permitting.  Sound good?  Shall I set it up?

      (the following is information that some may not need.)

      The top 7 allergens in no specific order:

      Dairy (including lactose, whey, milk solids)
      Gluten (including wheat, rye, barley, oats, MSG, modified food starch. These last three can be acceptable
                   depending on the country of origin.)
      Peanuts (including peanut butter)
      Tree nuts (including coconut)
      Shell fish
      As I have stated before, I taught the class at the Symposium on Food allergies.
      I can teach it again as a class at Fibers and Fletching.  Is there interest from
      this list?  I can travel.

      YIS, Kathryn

      To: Antir_culinary@yahoogroups.com
      From: wheezul@...
      Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 13:43:56 -0700

      I think an event dedicated to this pursuit would be wonderful. I suggest
      we go one step further and produce a publication (web-bsed?) and list
      recipes that people could choose to produce for a potluck. I think this
      would be useful especially for local potlucks, where people know each
      other well enough to have a clue about special dietary needs, and wish to
      cater, but may not have the desire to research the appropriate foods. If
      they cater somewhat to modern tastes, all the better! Oh, and we could
      choose to use the page to give basic information on how to entirely list
      ingredients, and what the common allergens and some key words as discussed

      My specific dietary bugaboo is sodium. Most people do not think to leave
      that out of their foods, so I usually just bring my own food and a dish
      for others and call it good.

      So, what would we designate as categories? Vegan, gluten-free,
      dairy-free, egg-free? How about nuts?