Re: [Antir_culinary] Guild name

  • David Walddon
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 21 2:34 PM
      The Worshipful Company of Cooks is from a period source in the mid-15th century (according to the source reported below)
      I think it would depend on what country and time period you are discussing.
      Did they widely form guilds in Period? Period is a lot of years.
      The royal kitchens is an interesting idea.
      I think there are some interesting models here.
      Which country or time period should we look at?
      I have some interesting pieces from Italy. We also have Chiquart from the French traditions.

      Thoughts?

      Eduardo

      On Apr 21, 2011, at 2:07 PM, wheezul@... wrote:

      First a question - did cooks form guilds in the SCA period? It seems to
      me that they were retained as servants in lower classed households but in
      noble courts held an important supervisory position as the master cook,
      but it wasn't as if, like butchers, bakers and candlestick makers, in
      business for themselves selling wares. I don't know though - does anyone
      have reference of a cooks guild?

      I don't mind having a guild even if there isn't precedence for one, but
      just typing out loud, what would it look like if we tried to structure
      ourselves as a part of the royal court kitchen since as a kingdom guild we
      would have have TRM's patronage? Perhaps there could be a competition for
      the 'top chef' spot that gets some cool regalia for the year. Have our
      'kitchen' separated into different specialties and provide challenges
      through these areas with a bling thing when passing them?

      I really like the idea of a sable kettle award. It ties the past to the
      present very nicely.

      Katrine

    • Mandy
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 23 4:30 PM

        > Worshipful Companies are neat, or we could use one of the other terms. Fellowship, or Fraternity/Fraternitas. Personally I’m a fan of Gild. Perhaps Gild of Cookry?

        Guilds and livery companies (14th century +) were more properly attributed to the professions, such as cooks, bakers, and pastlers/pastry-cook rather than the jobs they did...
        I rather like both as they are both historically documented and cover a fairly large time-frame... "guild" being more commonly known however.
        Not sure about going with a fraternity due to it's more obvious ties to religion regardless of craft.

        Mandy
        (SCA: Mergriet)