Re: [Antir_culinary] Guild Business/Proposed Mission Statement

  • fiammetta@aol.com
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 20, 2011
      Hello,

      I also like the name Sable Kettle. As well as changing the word order to "support, promote, and advance".

      Ciao,
      Fiamma

      In a message dated 4/20/2011 10:15:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, JCStapleton@... writes:
      I agree, even though it's a finicky detail.

      I like "support, promote, and advance".

      But...I'm not willing to waste time on it, if it comes down to it.

      Berengaria

      On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 10:10 PM, David Walddon <david@...> wrote:

      I get that and it is a good answer.

      Maybe it is just the order it is in for me.

      Eduardo

      Food is life. May the plenty that graces your table truly be a VAST REPAST.

      David Walddon

      david@...

      www.vastrepast.net

      On Apr 20, 2011, at 10:04 PM, Raphaella DiContini wrote:

      My take on the meaning of the word "advance" is that we would endeavor to continue seeking out new information. Our culinary knowledge as a historical society has undoubtedly progressed by leaps and bounds in the last couple of decades and in addition to promoting and supporting the culinary arts we will try encourage new research and practice.

      In joyous service,
      Raffaella

      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 23, 2011

        > Worshipful Companies are neat, or we could use one of the other terms. Fellowship, or Fraternity/Fraternitas. Personally I’m a fan of Gild. Perhaps Gild of Cookry?

        Guilds and livery companies (14th century +) were more properly attributed to the professions, such as cooks, bakers, and pastlers/pastry-cook rather than the jobs they did...
        I rather like both as they are both historically documented and cover a fairly large time-frame... "guild" being more commonly known however.
        Not sure about going with a fraternity due to it's more obvious ties to religion regardless of craft.

        Mandy
        (SCA: Mergriet)