Recipe of The Week, April 9th, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2011
      My apologies for the delay with this week’s recipe, but here it is at
      last. I know many of us are busy getting ready for next weekend's
      Culinary Symposium. I know I am. I hope to see many of you there for the
      Guild Foundation discussion.

      A Book of Cookery 1591 London

      For April we turn to an English text and this one printed first on 1584
      and this version in 1591 by Edward Allde. The recipes are noted as being
      gathered by A.W. For the transcription posted on line, keeping the
      original spelling and punctuation, we are indebted to Mark and Jane Waks.
      A Book of Cookery 1591 London

      As we are in the season of Lent, I thought to feature some fish
      recipes this month. Many of the fish recipes in this text are in
      themselves rather simple preparations, grilled, fried or “boiled” or
      what we might term poached. In most cases, a sauce is included, and
      some details of cleaning the fish.

      April 9, 2011
      To fry Whitings.
      First flay them and wash them clean and scale them, that doon, lap them
      in floure and fry them in Butter and oyle. Then to serve them, mince
      apples or onions and fry them, then put them into a vessel with white
      wine, vergious, salt, pepper, cloves & mace, and boile them togither on
      the Coles, and serve it upon the Whitings.

      Rycheza
      Good Cooking