Re: [Antir_culinary] A question forwarded

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
      What about getting honey to the various candy making stages? I don't
      have a lot of candy making experience myself. Are the temps for hard
      crack, soft ball, etc. the same for honey as for sugar syrups? Do you
      need to cook it faster, slower? Or simply treat it like a sugar syrup?

      Rycheza

      > On 2/17/2011 11:06 AM, Danni Thorniley wrote:
      >
      > I was wondering if you know much of Sesame candy.
      > It is a period recipe from the Mappae Clavicula from the 12th
      > century.
      > The only ingredient is pure white honey, which seems to mean clover
      > honey, and you cook it over the flame until it is thick and
      > viscous and
      > then you pull it over an iron bolt til it "turns white as it
      > should."
      > I've never been able to get the candy white. It comes out like bit
      > o honey.
      > I've made it over fire and on the stovetop and cooked it very
      > slowly. It
      > took 90 minutes in the fire in a pipkin. it takes quite a while
      > on the
      > stove as well.
      > My question is do you know how I can cook it to the proper candy
      > stage
      > (hard crack) without having the honey caramelize. It always gets
      > very
      > dark but not burned. It lightens some when pulled. Should I cook it
      > slower for longer at a lower temperature? Is White in period mean
      > roughly the same color as the honey started?
      > Nidda
    • Mandy
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2011
        Haven't had much luck getting it to some of the harder stages and candy from it doesn't seem to hold up as well as sugar, even perfectly period cane sugar doesn't always hold up... I tend to cook all my syrups slowly however

        Mandy
        (SCA: Griet)

        > What about getting honey to the various candy making stages? I don't
        > have a lot of candy making experience myself. Are the temps for hard
        > crack, soft ball, etc. the same for honey as for sugar syrups? Do you
        > need to cook it faster, slower? Or simply treat it like a sugar syrup?
        >
        > Rycheza
      • Jeanne Wood
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2011
          Greetings,
          The last time I made the period sesame candy, I did it as a demo/class "Cooking in Pottery". I used a brazier and an open ceramic saucepan. It boiled hard and seemed to take quite awhile, perhaps it took the time because of the openness of the saucepan used outdoors. But we did achieve all the candy stages including, at last, hardball.
          I don't remember the kind of honey I used, but it was a light, non-processed honey. Perhaps the type of honey makes a difference???
          Silante,
          ~Morgaina