Re: Recipe of the Week Feb 3rd, 2011

  • Mandy
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
      > Hey! Are you working or have you worked with this manuscript? We'd love
      > to hear what you've done or thought about it. I am far from an expert
      > and would love to hear from those with other experiences.
      >
      > Good Cooking
      > Rycheza z Polska

      Neither am I... It's not a manuscript I played with much but I remember doing at least two dishes from it off hand. The moorish eggplant for one, which never made it to the feast stage... and the Salmon Empanada which I made on several occasions, the combination of the salt, long pepper, galangal and ginger goes wonderfully with the fish!

      Mandy
      SCA: Mergriet van Wijenhorst
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
        I'll be posting the pickled eggplant recipe later in the month. I do a
        version of the meat casserole that I call Catalonian Stew that is very
        popular around here. I've done for potlucks several times. I've included
        it on one of our Guild cookbooklets.

        And Thank you, Fiamma for posting the menu. It is very interesting to
        see how other groups are putting feasts together.

        Rafaella (from Dragon's Mist.) Please let us know when your website in
        back on line. Does anyone else have websites on topic?

        Rycheza

        On 2/3/2011 7:28 PM, Mandy wrote:

        >> Hey! Are you working or have you worked with this manuscript? We'd love
        >> to hear what you've done or thought about it. I am far from an expert
        >> and would love to hear from those with other experiences.
        >>
        >> Good Cooking
        >> Rycheza z Polska
        >>

        > Neither am I... It's not a manuscript I played with much but I remember doing at least two dishes from it off hand. The moorish eggplant for one, which never made it to the feast stage... and the Salmon Empanada which I made on several occasions, the combination of the salt, long pepper, galangal and ginger goes wonderfully with the fish!
        >
        > Mandy
        > SCA: Mergriet van Wijenhorst

      • Raphaella DiContini
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
          I just finally updated my blog where I"m trying to work my way through an entire manuscript, as much in order as possible. I had a long break while I had my son and tracked down some boar, venison and rabbit.

          Speaking of Guild cookbooklets, we'd LOVE to have some for sale at the Culinary Symposium. Any guild who would be interested in selling their pamplets there please let me know. I know at one point Mattuz had tentatively offered to sit at a table with all of them so the rest of the guild members would be free to take more classes.

          In joyous service,
          Raffaella

          On 2/3/2011 7:28 PM, Mandy wrote:

          >> Hey! Are you working or have you worked with this manuscript?  We'd love
          >> to hear what you've done or thought about it. I am far from an expert
          >> and would love to hear from those with other experiences.
          >>
          >> Good Cooking
          >> Rycheza z Polska
          >>

          > Neither am I... It's not a manuscript I played with much but I remember doing at least two dishes from it off hand. The moorish eggplant for one, which never made it to the feast stage... and the Salmon Empanada which I made on several occasions, the combination of the salt, long pepper, galangal and ginger goes wonderfully with the fish!
          >
          > Mandy
          > SCA: Mergriet van Wijenhorst

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              Antir_culinary-digest@yahoogroups.com
              Antir_culinary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Raphaella DiContini
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
            We're down to the last hours and the final finishing touches on the class schedule for this year's Culinary Symposium. If you have a class you would like to teach (or know someone who you feel should be encouraged to share their knowledge) please let me know ASAP- we need the following information by tomorrow (Saturday February 4th) to update the
            website and the class pre-registration system:
            Class title
            Brief Class description
            Class minimum / maximum limit (e.g. 2 min, 10 max)
            Hands on / lecture & any class room logistics (e.g. modern or out door cooking space, etc.)-
            PLEASE NOTE: We currently don't have any teaching space in a modern kitchen left. Duration (1 hour increments preferred, but 1/2 hour considered, please
            plan to end class 10 minutes before the end of the final hour to allow
            travel time)
            Any additional class cost?

            We have 5 1/2 full tracks of classes on Saturday + an entire track of lectures on historical food related research papers,and another 3 tracks of classes running until Noon on Sunday- and teachers coming from at least 3 different kingdoms and all over AnTir, but there is still some room for YOUR class. :)
            Classes we have confirmed so far include:
            Cheese Making in 1500-1600s Europe
            Sugar Paste Exhibit in York (and More)
            Visit to Classes by Ivan Day
            Vicarious Tour of Hampton Court
            Making Comfits
            period foods to make and bring/ tourney cooking
            Autocratting a Feast
            Medieval English Street Food
            Roman Cuisine II: It's not All Apicius!
            Anna Wecker’s Kitchen – a look into the world of early modern German culinary practice
            Spices: Tracing the Spice Routes
            Bread without commercial yeast
            Fermentation in theory and practice

            Cloche baking

            Dutch oven Bread making

            Dining with the Sultan: History of 15th & 16th c. Ottoman Cuisine (lecture)

            Dining with the Sultan: Cooking 15th & 16th c. Ottoman Food (cooking)
            16th c. Persian polaws/rice dishes
            Peculiar Persian & Arab Foods
            English Pies and Tarts
            Cooking in pottery over coals
            1630's Spanish drinking chocolate
            I want candy! Surveying the art of medieval candied noms
            Lenten Dietary Practices in the Middle Ages
            Period Feasts for Modern Allergies

            In joyous service,
            Raffaella

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
              I fully intend to bring the Dragons Laire booklets. We have 2 titles in
              print at the moment. 'Small Selections' and the Candlemas Cena book.

              Helping to promote these publications is one of the things that I think
              The Sable Kettle should lend its hand to. There will be some logistics
              to work through, but I think a table of publications for sale could be
              done. I'd love to see the Madrone books made available and I know of at
              least a few booklets put out by some of the smaller Shires.

              Rycheza

              On 2/4/2011 10:38 AM, Raphaella DiContini wrote:

              > I just finally updated my blog where I"m trying to work my way through
              > an entire manuscript, as much in order as possible. I had a long break
              > while I had my son and tracked down some boar, venison and rabbit.
              > http://allvenicechannel.dreamwidth.org/
              > Speaking of Guild cookbooklets, we'd LOVE to have some for sale at the
              > Culinary Symposium. Any guild who would be interested in selling their
              > pamplets there please let me know. I know at one point Mattuz had
              > tentatively offered to sit at a table with all of them so the rest of
              > the guild members would be free to take more classes.
              > In joyous service,
              > Raffaella

            • Zach Smith
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 7, 2011

                Great looking class selection! Now there’s just the question of potential scheduling conflicts.

                As of this moment, the event listing for this on the An Tir site is still nearly empty; when are updates, links ACCEPS, etc. planned?

                Thanks,

                Edmund Graham

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 7, 2011
                  The website is nearly done as is the class schedule. Just waiting for the final go-ahead before sending things out. I promise I'll spread the information far and wide as soon as I get the all clear to do so. I'm hoping that should be fairly soon!!

                  There will also be an entire track of lectures offered that likely won't be requiring any pre-registration like the rest of the regular classes. There won't be any class fee for any of them, and the only maximum limit will be the building capacity.

                  The Symposium will definately be April 15-17th, at Camp Sheppard, and we just recieved confirmation that the world renound Madrone Culinary Guild has said they will be preparing dinner on Saturday night.

                  In joyous service,
                  Raffaella

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 18, 2011
                    Greetings all,

                    my website is back up! check out my articles on "Dragon's Mist dinner party" and my KAS documentation "Dinner of 16th c. spain" for cooking experiments from the de Nola book.

                    http://www.fridayvalentine.com/rafaella/rafaella.html

                    Rafaella d'Allemtejo

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 18, 2011
                      Yay! I really enjoy your website and want to come down or import you some time for a faux majolica making party! I heartily recommend just wandering around her site if you haven't yet checked it out.

                      In joyous service,
                      The other Raffaela (with two f's). :)

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 20, 2011
                        Thank you for posting the link. I look forward to having better
                        internet access when I get home to spend some quality time rambling
                        around it.

                        Rycheza z Polska