Re: [Antir_culinary] Recipe of the Week Feb 3rd, 2011

  • fiammetta@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
      Greetings,

      A former student and I used this manuscript for Aquaterra's Yule feast in 2004. Beside the regular menu, we had an alternate menu for Her Majesty, who had many dietary restrictions. Unfortunately that year the town where the hall was located flooded, so the feast was delayed a week. We then had the challenge of preserving many of the fresh foods for one week without losing quality. My student had purchased some fabulous fresh salmon. We did not want to freeze it so my husband and friends made smoked salmon. The two cases of  mushrooms we had intended on grilling, were turned into duxelles, for mushroom tarts. If I can figure out how, and if there is interest, I can post the menus to the files section of this list.

      Ciao,
      Fiamma

      In a message dated 2/3/2011 11:39:23 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, mhenson@... writes:
      A new month and on to another cookbook.  This month our recipes will be
      coming from the Libre del Coch by Maestro Robert dated to 1520.  It was
      originally published in Barcelona and written in Catalan, a language
      closely related to Spanish.  It was published four more times in Catalan
      and by 1525 was published in Spanish. This first Spanish edition
      identified the author as Ruperto de Nola. The English text we are using
      here comes from Robin Carroll-Mann’s 2001 translation of the 1529
      Spanish edition known as Libro de Guisados.  This translation is
      available in two volumes on Stephan’s Florigelium in the food-manuscript
      section.

      In honor of the year of the rabbit, I thought we’d start with a recipe
      for rabbit. This book also has a recipe for pickled rabbits.

      Busaque of Rabbits

      You will take the rabbit, skinned and well-cleaned of its hair, and
      being opened, set it to roast, and when it is roasted, cut it into
      pieces and gently fry it a little, and take toasted bread, well burnt,
      and toasted almonds, and grind them well, and strain them with the juice
      of the rabbit, and put in all common spices, and make this sauce which
      should be a little sour, and cook it; and when it is cooked, cast in the
      rabbit and let it finish cooking, and if you wish cast in some onions,
      all this shall be according to your pleasure and will., But you must
      cook them first with the rabbits and then strain the onions with the
      other things and let it finish cooking.

      Hey! Are you working or have you worked with this manuscript?  We’d love
      to hear what you’ve done or thought about it. I am far from an expert
      and would love to hear from those with other experiences.

      Good Cooking
      Rycheza z Polska

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          Antir_culinary-digest@yahoogroups.com
          Antir_culinary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
        Yes, Please! This is just the kind of sharing that The Sable Kettle is
        being formed to promote. I would love to see a menu and hear all about
        the experience. It is so easy for us to stay confined to our own
        kitchens and the ephemeral nature of cookery makes it difficult to show
        others what we are doing and we thus lose out on any cross-pollination.

        Rycheza

        On 2/3/2011 2:08 PM, fiammetta@... wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > A former student and I used this manuscript for Aquaterra's Yule feast
        > in 2004. Beside the regular menu, we had an alternate menu for Her
        > Majesty, who had many dietary restrictions. Unfortunately that year the
        > town where the hall was located flooded, so the feast was delayed a
        > week. We then had the challenge of preserving many of the fresh foods
        > for one week without losing quality. My student had purchased some
        > fabulous fresh salmon. We did not want to freeze it so my husband and
        > friends made smoked salmon. The two cases of mushrooms we had intended
        > on grilling, were turned into duxelles, for mushroom tarts. If I can
        > figure out how, and if there is interest, I can post the menus to the
        > files section of this list.
        > Ciao,
        > Fiamma
        > In a message dated 2/3/2011 11:39:23 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        > mhenson@... writes:
        >
        > A new month and on to another cookbook. This month our recipes will be
        > coming from the Libre del Coch by Maestro Robert dated to 1520. It was
        > originally published in Barcelona and written in Catalan, a language
        > closely related to Spanish. It was published four more times in Catalan
        > and by 1525 was published in Spanish. This first Spanish edition
        > identified the author as Ruperto de Nola. The English text we are using
        > here comes from Robin Carroll-Mann’s 2001 translation of the 1529
        > Spanish edition known as Libro de Guisados. This translation is
        > available in two volumes on Stephan’s Florigelium in the
        > food-manuscript
        > section.
        >
        > In honor of the year of the rabbit, I thought we’d start with a recipe
        > for rabbit. This book also has a recipe for pickled rabbits.
        >
        > Busaque of Rabbits
        >
        > You will take the rabbit, skinned and well-cleaned of its hair, and
        > being opened, set it to roast, and when it is roasted, cut it into
        > pieces and gently fry it a little, and take toasted bread, well burnt,
        > and toasted almonds, and grind them well, and strain them with the
        > juice
        > of the rabbit, and put in all common spices, and make this sauce which
        > should be a little sour, and cook it; and when it is cooked, cast in
        > the
        > rabbit and let it finish cooking, and if you wish cast in some onions,
        > all this shall be according to your pleasure and will., But you must
        > cook them first with the rabbits and then strain the onions with the
        > other things and let it finish cooking.
        >
        > Hey! Are you working or have you worked with this manuscript? We’d love
        > to hear what you’ve done or thought about it. I am far from an expert
        > and would love to hear from those with other experiences.
        >
        > Good Cooking
        > Rycheza z Polska
      • FV/Rafaella
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
          I've spent a lot of time in this cookbook (specifically Robin's translation as I don't speak/read catalan).

          my website is down for repairs but I have some redactions I can share when it's back up.

          Lot's of cinnamon & sugar cuz that's what the lord it was written for liked.

          --M. Rafaella
          (the Rafaella in Dragon's Mist)

          > cookbook.  This month our recipes will be
          > coming from the Libre del Coch by Maestro Robert dated to
          > 1520.  It was
          > originally published in Barcelona and written in Catalan, a
          > language
          > closely related to Spanish.  It was published four
          > more times in Catalan
          > and by 1525 was published in Spanish. This first Spanish
          > edition
          > identified the author as Ruperto de Nola. The English text
          > we are using
          > here comes from Robin Carroll-Mann’s 2001 translation of
          > the 1529
          > Spanish edition known as Libro de Guisados.  This
          > translation is
          > available in two volumes on Stephan’s Florigelium in the
          > food-manuscript
          > section.
          >
          > In honor of the year of the rabbit, I thought we’d start
          > with a recipe
          > for rabbit. This book also has a recipe for pickled
          > rabbits.
          >
          > Busaque of Rabbits
          >
          > You will take the rabbit, skinned and well-cleaned of its
          > hair, and
          > being opened, set it to roast, and when it is roasted, cut
          > it into
          > pieces and gently fry it a little, and take toasted bread,
          > well burnt,
          > and toasted almonds, and grind them well, and strain them
          > with the juice
          > of the rabbit, and put in all common spices, and make this
          > sauce which
          > should be a little sour, and cook it; and when it is
          > cooked, cast in the
          > rabbit and let it finish cooking, and if you wish cast in
          > some onions,
          > all this shall be according to your pleasure and will., But
          > you must
          > cook them first with the rabbits and then strain the onions
          > with the
          > other things and let it finish cooking.
          >
          > Hey! Are you working or have you worked with this
          > manuscript?  We’d love
          > to hear what you’ve done or thought about it. I am far
          > from an expert
          > and would love to hear from those with other experiences.
          >
          > Good Cooking
          > Rycheza z Polska

          >     Antir_culinary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Mandy
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
            > Hey! Are you working or have you worked with this manuscript? We'd love
            > to hear what you've done or thought about it. I am far from an expert
            > and would love to hear from those with other experiences.
            >
            > Good Cooking
            > Rycheza z Polska

            Neither am I... It's not a manuscript I played with much but I remember doing at least two dishes from it off hand. The moorish eggplant for one, which never made it to the feast stage... and the Salmon Empanada which I made on several occasions, the combination of the salt, long pepper, galangal and ginger goes wonderfully with the fish!

            Mandy
            SCA: Mergriet van Wijenhorst
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
              I'll be posting the pickled eggplant recipe later in the month. I do a
              version of the meat casserole that I call Catalonian Stew that is very
              popular around here. I've done for potlucks several times. I've included
              it on one of our Guild cookbooklets.

              And Thank you, Fiamma for posting the menu. It is very interesting to
              see how other groups are putting feasts together.

              Rafaella (from Dragon's Mist.) Please let us know when your website in
              back on line. Does anyone else have websites on topic?

              Rycheza

              On 2/3/2011 7:28 PM, Mandy wrote:

              >> Hey! Are you working or have you worked with this manuscript? We'd love
              >> to hear what you've done or thought about it. I am far from an expert
              >> and would love to hear from those with other experiences.
              >>
              >> Good Cooking
              >> Rycheza z Polska
              >>

              > Neither am I... It's not a manuscript I played with much but I remember doing at least two dishes from it off hand. The moorish eggplant for one, which never made it to the feast stage... and the Salmon Empanada which I made on several occasions, the combination of the salt, long pepper, galangal and ginger goes wonderfully with the fish!
              >
              > Mandy
              > SCA: Mergriet van Wijenhorst

            • Raphaella DiContini
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
                I just finally updated my blog where I"m trying to work my way through an entire manuscript, as much in order as possible. I had a long break while I had my son and tracked down some boar, venison and rabbit.

                Speaking of Guild cookbooklets, we'd LOVE to have some for sale at the Culinary Symposium. Any guild who would be interested in selling their pamplets there please let me know. I know at one point Mattuz had tentatively offered to sit at a table with all of them so the rest of the guild members would be free to take more classes.

                In joyous service,
                Raffaella

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
                  We're down to the last hours and the final finishing touches on the class schedule for this year's Culinary Symposium. If you have a class you would like to teach (or know someone who you feel should be encouraged to share their knowledge) please let me know ASAP- we need the following information by tomorrow (Saturday February 4th) to update the
                  website and the class pre-registration system:
                  Class title
                  Brief Class description
                  Class minimum / maximum limit (e.g. 2 min, 10 max)
                  Hands on / lecture & any class room logistics (e.g. modern or out door cooking space, etc.)-
                  PLEASE NOTE: We currently don't have any teaching space in a modern kitchen left. Duration (1 hour increments preferred, but 1/2 hour considered, please
                  plan to end class 10 minutes before the end of the final hour to allow
                  travel time)
                  Any additional class cost?

                  We have 5 1/2 full tracks of classes on Saturday + an entire track of lectures on historical food related research papers,and another 3 tracks of classes running until Noon on Sunday- and teachers coming from at least 3 different kingdoms and all over AnTir, but there is still some room for YOUR class. :)
                  Classes we have confirmed so far include:
                  Cheese Making in 1500-1600s Europe
                  Sugar Paste Exhibit in York (and More)
                  Visit to Classes by Ivan Day
                  Vicarious Tour of Hampton Court
                  Making Comfits
                  period foods to make and bring/ tourney cooking
                  Autocratting a Feast
                  Medieval English Street Food
                  Roman Cuisine II: It's not All Apicius!
                  Anna Wecker’s Kitchen – a look into the world of early modern German culinary practice
                  Spices: Tracing the Spice Routes
                  Bread without commercial yeast
                  Fermentation in theory and practice

                  Cloche baking

                  Dutch oven Bread making

                  Dining with the Sultan: History of 15th & 16th c. Ottoman Cuisine (lecture)

                  Dining with the Sultan: Cooking 15th & 16th c. Ottoman Food (cooking)
                  16th c. Persian polaws/rice dishes
                  Peculiar Persian & Arab Foods
                  English Pies and Tarts
                  Cooking in pottery over coals
                  1630's Spanish drinking chocolate
                  I want candy! Surveying the art of medieval candied noms
                  Lenten Dietary Practices in the Middle Ages
                  Period Feasts for Modern Allergies

                  In joyous service,
                  Raffaella

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
                    I fully intend to bring the Dragons Laire booklets. We have 2 titles in
                    print at the moment. 'Small Selections' and the Candlemas Cena book.

                    Helping to promote these publications is one of the things that I think
                    The Sable Kettle should lend its hand to. There will be some logistics
                    to work through, but I think a table of publications for sale could be
                    done. I'd love to see the Madrone books made available and I know of at
                    least a few booklets put out by some of the smaller Shires.

                    Rycheza

                    On 2/4/2011 10:38 AM, Raphaella DiContini wrote:

                    > I just finally updated my blog where I"m trying to work my way through
                    > an entire manuscript, as much in order as possible. I had a long break
                    > while I had my son and tracked down some boar, venison and rabbit.
                    > http://allvenicechannel.dreamwidth.org/
                    > Speaking of Guild cookbooklets, we'd LOVE to have some for sale at the
                    > Culinary Symposium. Any guild who would be interested in selling their
                    > pamplets there please let me know. I know at one point Mattuz had
                    > tentatively offered to sit at a table with all of them so the rest of
                    > the guild members would be free to take more classes.
                    > In joyous service,
                    > Raffaella

                  • Zach Smith
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 7, 2011

                      Great looking class selection! Now there’s just the question of potential scheduling conflicts.

                      As of this moment, the event listing for this on the An Tir site is still nearly empty; when are updates, links ACCEPS, etc. planned?

                      Thanks,

                      Edmund Graham

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 7, 2011
                        The website is nearly done as is the class schedule. Just waiting for the final go-ahead before sending things out. I promise I'll spread the information far and wide as soon as I get the all clear to do so. I'm hoping that should be fairly soon!!

                        There will also be an entire track of lectures offered that likely won't be requiring any pre-registration like the rest of the regular classes. There won't be any class fee for any of them, and the only maximum limit will be the building capacity.

                        The Symposium will definately be April 15-17th, at Camp Sheppard, and we just recieved confirmation that the world renound Madrone Culinary Guild has said they will be preparing dinner on Saturday night.

                        In joyous service,
                        Raffaella

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 18, 2011
                          Greetings all,

                          my website is back up! check out my articles on "Dragon's Mist dinner party" and my KAS documentation "Dinner of 16th c. spain" for cooking experiments from the de Nola book.

                          http://www.fridayvalentine.com/rafaella/rafaella.html

                          Rafaella d'Allemtejo

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 18, 2011
                            Yay! I really enjoy your website and want to come down or import you some time for a faux majolica making party! I heartily recommend just wandering around her site if you haven't yet checked it out.

                            In joyous service,
                            The other Raffaela (with two f's). :)

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 20, 2011
                              Thank you for posting the link. I look forward to having better
                              internet access when I get home to spend some quality time rambling
                              around it.

                              Rycheza z Polska