Re: Braxton concert on BBC

  • Tilli
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2005
      Happy new year everyone!

      I have also recorded the concert + interview successfully and will send it
      off for transfer to CD shortly. Great music, very funny interview!

      best wishes, jens
    • B. Clugston
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 24, 2005
        Leo Records will be releasing the Braxton Quintet's
        Nov. 15 concert in London that was broadcast on BBC 3.
        No word on when it will be released, as Leo hasn't
        received the recording yet.

      • B. Clugston
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 25, 2005
          Anthony Braxton is on the cover of the latest Wire.
          http://www.thewire.co.uk/

          A previous issue, from 1989, is available here:
          http://www.thewire.co.uk/archive/interviews/anthony_braxton.html.

          It takes a long time for The Wire to come to these
          parts, so I can't tell you much else.

          The interviewer is Brian Morton, co-author of the
          Penguin Guide to Jazz. Its seventh edition came out
          recently and has a spectacular gaffe regarding
          Braxton, taking him to task for releasing two
          recordings called Four Compositions (GTM) 2000--the
          one we know about plus a phantom one on CIMP. The
          review even comments on the CIMP release's sound and
          gives it three stars--quite the feat since it doesn't
          exist. The CD has the same label number as the Duets
          with Alex Horwitz, which is panned later. I think the
          source for this phantom work is allmusic guide, which
          garbles together the Delmark and CIMP releases on its
          web site.

        • Franz Fuchs
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 25, 2005
            Today Velibor Pedevski wrote me some details about the Braxton House
            catalogue:

            - There are a few sets of Trillium R left whose number is in the
            single-digits. Therefore who's interested should hurry. Quote Mr.
            Pedevski: "I don't know if that one will ever be reprinted." I'm quite
            happy that I've secured a copy!

            - BH005 & BH009 are currently OOP; BH004 & BH007 are nearly sold out.
            But I think it's likely that these items will see a reprint.

            - There will be a new web page in the near future (domain:
            braxtonhouse.com)

            Best regards
            Franz Fuchs
          • jason@restructures.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 25, 2005
              --- In Anthony_BRAXTON@yahoogroups.com, "Franz Fuchs" <f.fuchs@g...>
              wrote:
              > - BH005 & BH009 are currently OOP

              If anyone knows of a copy of BH009 (Four Compositions Wash DC 1998)
              for sale, I'd GREATLY appreciate it if you could let me know!

              -Jason
            • Franz Fuchs
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 25, 2005
                From John McDonough:

                > You may have posted this before, but how does one acquire a copy?

                Just email Velibor Pedevski at pedevski@.... He may not be able to
                answer immediately because of (teaching) obligations. But my second
                attempt yielded an answer within half an hour. The Braxton House
                catalogue can be seen at the Wesleyan site and is still valid (with the
                mentioned qualifications). "Solo (Skopje) 1995" is available as a 2LP
                set.

                http://www.wesleyan.edu/music/braxton/braxtonhouse/

                Best regards
                Franz Fuchs
              • John McDonough
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 25, 2005

                  At 01:10 AM 1/26/2005 +0100, you wrote:

                  >Today Velibor Pedevski wrote me some details about the Braxton House
                  >catalogue:
                  >
                  >- There are a few sets of Trillium R left whose number is in the
                  >single-digits. Therefore who's interested should hurry. Quote Mr.
                  >Pedevski: "I don't know if that one will ever be reprinted." I'm quite
                  >happy that I've secured a copy!
                  >
                  >- BH005 & BH009 are currently OOP; BH004 & BH007 are nearly sold out.
                  >But I think it's likely that these items will see a reprint.
                  >
                  >- There will be a new web page in the near future (domain:
                  >braxtonhouse.com)
                  >
                  >Best regards
                  >Franz Fuchs

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Franz Fuchs
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
                    > The interviewer is Brian Morton, co-author of the
                    > Penguin Guide to Jazz.

                    I noticed on this web site (which refers to the 6th edition):

                    http://www.tomhull.com/ocston/nm/notes/pjazz5-6a-01.php

                    that Trillium R gets only 2 stars. I'm curious about the review. Can a
                    kind list member post it? I assume it's not long because the Penguin
                    Guide, inevitably because of its scope, uses very compressed reviews.

                    Best regards
                    Franz Fuchs
                  • ripleyjames@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
                      At 1/28/200507:29 PM +0100, you wrote:

                      > > The interviewer is Brian Morton, co-author of the
                      > > Penguin Guide to Jazz.
                      >
                      >I noticed on this web site (which refers to the 6th edition):
                      >
                      >http://www.tomhull.com/ocston/nm/notes/pjazz5-6a-01.php
                      >
                      >that Trillium R gets only 2 stars. I'm curious about the review. Can a
                      >kind list member post it? I assume it's not long because the Penguin
                      >Guide, inevitably because of its scope, uses very compressed reviews.
                      >
                      >Best regards
                      >Franz Fuchs

                      ** Trillium R: Shala Fears For The Poor - Composition
                      No. 162
                      Braxton House BH 008 Braxton; Steve Swell (tb); Libby Van
                      Cleeve (frhn); Mark Whitecage (ss); David Bindman (ts);
                      Aaron Stewart (bs); Rob Brown (f); Perry Robinson (cl);
                      Brandon Evans (bcl); Joseph Celli (ob); Lisa Bielawa, Mellissa
                      Fathman, Elizabeth Henreckenson-Farnum, Heather Dea
                      Jennings, Matthew Pass, Benjamin Sosland, Melton Sawyer,
                      Gregory Purnhagen, Peter Slewart (v); Tri-Centric
                      Orchestra. 10/96.

                      ^Catholic and inclusive though we like to be, the music in this
                      curious music-theatre project (dedicated to Nelson Mandela)
                      falls very largely outside the scope of this book. We found the
                      proceedings sparse and unengaging. However, the Trillium
                      cycle is as central to Braxton's oeuvre as Skies Of America was to
                      Ornette Coleman's, and on that analogy we beg leave to wonder
                      if this dry performance genuinely reflects the wishes and inten-
                      tions of the composer.

                      The line-up is extraordinary, but there is very little scope for
                      instrumentalists of the quality of Robinson and Swell to make
                      much impact. The voices are indifferently recorded and the
                      whole package seems remote and abstract.
                    • Franz Fuchs
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
                        ripleyjames@... posted:

                        > ** Trillium R: Shala Fears For The Poor - Composition
                        > No. 162
                        > Braxton House BH 008 Braxton; Steve Swell (tb); Libby Van
                        > Cleeve (frhn); Mark Whitecage (ss); David Bindman (ts);
                        > Aaron Stewart (bs); Rob Brown (f); Perry Robinson (cl);
                        > Brandon Evans (bcl); Joseph Celli (ob); Lisa Bielawa, Mellissa
                        > Fathman, Elizabeth Henreckenson-Farnum, Heather Dea
                        > Jennings, Matthew Pass, Benjamin Sosland, Melton Sawyer,
                        > Gregory Purnhagen, Peter Slewart (v); Tri-Centric
                        > Orchestra. 10/96.
                        >
                        > ^Catholic and inclusive though we like to be, the music in this
                        > curious music-theatre project (dedicated to Nelson Mandela)
                        > falls very largely outside the scope of this book. We found the
                        > proceedings sparse and unengaging. However, the Trillium
                        > cycle is as central to Braxton's oeuvre as Skies Of America was to
                        > Ornette Coleman's, and on that analogy we beg leave to wonder
                        > if this dry performance genuinely reflects the wishes and inten-
                        > tions of the composer.
                        >
                        > The line-up is extraordinary, but there is very little scope for
                        > instrumentalists of the quality of Robinson and Swell to make
                        > much impact. The voices are indifferently recorded and the
                        > whole package seems remote and abstract.

                        Thanks, James! "Compressed" indeed. They could be right, I don't know
                        (yet). Though in my book "abstract" sounds very appealing and I have
                        nothing against remoteness either :-)

                        Best regards
                        Franz Fuchs