Link list

  • Franz Fuchs
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 10 10:18 AM
      If nobody else is planning to do a Braxton link list, I want to compile
      one. It will have obvious sections like discographies, articles,
      interviews, record companies, reviews, etc. and should be in a
      tentatively finished version within the next two or three weeks.

      Regards
      Franz Fuchs
      Today playing: "Harras" by Derek Bailey, John Zorn and William Parker.
    • Robert Watling Jr.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 10 8:59 PM
        This list has been so quiet lately. I'm anxious to see your list when
        it is ready. Do you or anyone else on the list have an opinion on the
        cd of Braxton with Evan Parker? I'm waiting for Amazon to ship it.
        I've been listening to Evan Parker with Paul Bley and Barre Phillips.
        Any way, I'll wait for the cd and the link list.

        Robert Watling Jr.
        Now playing: urban contemporary. Yuck...it's my partner's night
        to bring the music. Tomorrow night...maybe Sun Ra...

        At 01:18 PM 7/10/2003, you wrote:
        >If nobody else is planning to do a Braxton link list, I want to compile
        >one. It will have obvious sections like discographies, articles,
        >interviews, record companies, reviews, etc. and should be in a
        >tentatively finished version within the next two or three weeks.
        >
        >Regards
        >Franz Fuchs
        >Today playing: "Harras" by Derek Bailey, John Zorn and William Parker.

        -*-*-*-
        The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend. --Henri L. Bergson

        Watling Photography page at:
        http://home.earthlink.net/~robertwatlingjr/index.html
        Kimmy's page: http://home.earthlink.net/~thekimmy/
        -*-*-*-
      • Franz Fuchs
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 11 7:22 AM
          Hello Robert,

          > This list has been so quiet lately. I'm anxious to see your list when
          > it is ready.

          Oh, I guess it won't be that exciting ;-) Basically I will just collect
          the links that have been posted to this mailing list and then scour the
          usual search engines. But as a starting point to Braxton on the internet
          it will be useful, I think.

          Regards
          Franz Fuchs

          Today playing: The 3rd disc from the "Citizen Steely Dan" box set.
          There's even an AB-connection (although not an agreeable one). Take a
          look:
          http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q43D12B35
          (=
          groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=3769db3c.67738
          99%40news.magnet.at)
        • Robert Watling Jr.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 11 11:21 PM
            At 10:22 AM 7/11/2003, you wrote:
            >Today playing: The 3rd disc from the "Citizen Steely Dan" box set.
            >There's even an AB-connection (although not an agreeable one). Take a
            >look:
            >http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q43D12B35

            Franz,
            I liked your article. I'm not surprised by SD's collective remarks. They
            make nice music with slightly more jazz content than the average rock
            group but I think they should have been glad Frank didn't make a more
            direct comment about them. I have all six of the YCDTOS series and
            I'll take one of his solos over all the Steely Dan I've ever heard. Not
            that either have much to do with Braxton. I think he's in a different
            realm than almost any other musician I can think of. Today I was
            listening to Together Alone with Braxton and Joseph Jarman and For
            Alto. Right now I'm listening to early period Sun Ra. I try to stay open
            minded too and I do like Steely Dan but I can't imagine why any one
            would bother to ask them about Braxton. Thanks for sharing the link.

            Robert Watling Jr.
            Akron, Ohio

            -*-*-*-

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 12 1:09 AM
              Has anyone on the list ever attended any of Braxton's classes at Wesleyan? I looked at the school's website and I see that he's teaching a class in Sun Ra/Stockhausen in addition to jazz imrpov. I'm sure its an incredible experience to be under the man's tutelage.

              I'm currently beyond fed up with the extreme conservatism in the jazz programs of all the schools in my area, and as a big fan of AB, the idea of having him as a teacher thrills my little soul. But the prices of that school certainly don't. I'm having a hard enough time handling state school fees, crinimy.

              anyway, does anyone have any input on Brax's career as an educator?

            • Dan Plonsey
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 14 10:54 AM
                I'm glad Franz is making a list of links.
                Just in case this helps, here are some I
                collected. It's been a while, so some may
                be gone.

                http://www.plonsey.com/links.html#braxton

                BTW, is there anyone on this list from the SF Bay Area
                other than John Shiurba and Gino? We might be able to
                use your help...

                Dan