Genome Details

  • jeff_l_schwartz
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
      More details of the Jan. 31 performance, to the best of my recollection:

      The core materials were several Ghost Trance pieces: 199, 220, 241, 255, 286, 322, 347, and 360. These were on stands throughout the space, available for use by any grouping. Each of these pieces has primary and secondary material - the primary is the endless unison line & the secondary is a set of short trio pieces, often using graphic and/or proportional notation, which can be inserted on cue.
      Piles of older compositions, heavy on the 6, 23, 40, and 69 series, were available backstage for use as tertiary material, for any player to deploy as they liked.
      Bynum and Fei had rehearsed the group in conducted improvisations using Braxton's 12 language types, so there was quite a bit of this, using either hand signs or conversation, and there was also a lot of less systematic improvisation.
      Four large ensemble works were performed at set times in the midst of all this other activity.

      Each musician was assigned specific parts in at least two of the large ensemble pieces. Each was also part of a small unit led by one of the members of the 12+1-tet (except Braxton himself, who was a free agent except for one conducting assignment). These units were a sort of home base, but players mixed and matched at will as the day went on.

      A schedule of the day's structure was distributed - my paraphrase/summary follows:

      Noon: group starts together in a circle playing a steady pulse pianissimo, each player repeating a single pitch. Gradually the small units separate and transition to language improvisation, then into GTM.
      1PM: Secondary materials can be used.
      1:30 Composition 59, conducted by James Fei. Soloists: John Mutter (guitar), Keith Wecker (guitar), Victoria Gibson (electronics), Ross Birdwise (electronics). I'm not 100% sure on these soloists except for John, but the piece has 2 solo spots and each was assigned to a guitar/electronics duet.
      2PM: Tertiary materials can be used.
      "Sonic war-games" begin. Braxton imagined small ensembles moving through the space in formations he had designed while playing language improvisation and moving in that language (a staccato walk, or an angular one, etc). A map of the performance spaces and toy soldiers corresponding to the small units were set up backstage, with the intention that moves would be planned in advance on this game board. I'm not sure how much that happened, but as the YouTube clips show, there was a lot of interesting movement throughout the day.
      2:30 Composition 175, conducted by Braxton. Viviane Houle and Kristin Fung, voices. Taylor Ho Bynum also sang on this one, but I think more to guide the others than to perform himself.
      5:15 Composition 91, conducted by Fei
      7:15 Composition 134, conducted by Bynum
      7:45 all material should slow down, move towards sustained sounds, and fade so that the piece disappears rather than ending. This didn't come of quite as scripted, because people got into a kind of drone space that they didn't want to leave. I know that, after 8 hours of everyone roaming around and playing subgroups, it felt really strong to be playing a constant sound together with 20+ people, but it did wind down, with some prompting from Fei.

      Personnel (listed by small unit):
      (I didn't meet all the participants and suspect some of those listed did not make the gig. Corrections are welcome!)

      Sara Schenbeck (bassoon)
      JP Carter (trumpet)
      Andres Vega (percussion)
      Jessee Canterbury (clarinet)
      Kenneth Goh (trombone)

      Nicole Mitchell (flute)
      Shane Krause (bass clarinet)
      Brian Rapanos (reeds)
      Keith Wecker (guitar)
      Kevin Tang (trombone)

      James Fei (alto sax)
      Kenton Loewen (percussion)
      Victoria Gibson (electronics)
      Joe Rzemieniak (trumpet)
      Tomas Weidman (cello - pretty sure he didn't show up)

      Jessica Pavone (violin & viola)
      Brad Muirhead (trombone)
      Daniel Ruiz (percussion)
      Jon Schofield (electronics)
      Michael McDermid (reeds)

      Carl Testa (bass, bass clarinet)
      Francois Houle (clarinet)
      Alice Hamilton (reeds)
      Kai Basanta (percussion)
      Ira Kones (trumpet)

      Aaron Siegel (percussion)
      Paul Plimley (guitar -maybe some piano?)
      Eli Reder-Davis (bass)
      Seth Von Handorf (reeds)
      Michele Oshima (trumpet)

      Steve Lehman (alto sax, a little piano)
      John Korsrud (trumpet)
      JC Thompson (bass - don't think he made it)
      Katie Rife (percussion)
      Janine Island (violin, melodica)

      Andrew Raffo Dewar (soprano sax)
      Viviane Houle (voice)
      Jeff Schwartz (bass)
      John Mutter (guitar)
      Kevin Romain (percussion)

      Taylor Ho Bynum (cornet etc)
      Kristin Fung (voice, piano)
      Garry Checora (percussion)
      Mike Spindole (reeds)

      Mary Halvorson (guitar)
      Tommy Babin (bass - substituting for Torsten Muller)
      Nathan Friedman (clarinet)
      Steve Bagnell (saxophones, percussion)
      Ross Birdwise (electronics)

      Jay Rozen (tuba)
      Gordon Grdina (guitar & oud)
      Gavin Walker (reeds)
      Elise Bouer (violin)
      Daryn Cassie (piano & keyboard)

      Reut Regev (trombone)
      Coat Cooke (tenor sax)
      Maren Lisac cornet)
      Ken Tabata (guitar)
      Stefan Thordarson (violin)
    • John McDonough
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 12, 2010
        I see on the Wesleyan website that his ensembles are playing in
        April. Is that with him? I thought he was on sabbatical this year.

        Also, are the any performances coming up in the NYC area?
      • benjaminopie
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12, 2010
          My understanding: Anthony's back on the job this semester. Those performances should involve Anthony in some respect.

          I've also received word that he's currently in preparation for his next opera.

          --- In Anthony_BRAXTON@yahoogroups.com, John McDonough <bebopj@...> wrote:

          > I see on the Wesleyan website that his ensembles are playing in
          > April. Is that with him? I thought he was on sabbatical this year.
          >
          > Also, are the any performances coming up in the NYC area?

        • Margaret Davis Grimes
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 12, 2010
            Hi, John McDonough. I hope my posts are coming through to the group. Did you not see my posting dated March 1Oth and headed "Dates at Wesleyan 4/23 & 4/29/1O"? In it I provided two Web links, an Email address, and a phone number for information. It looked to me as though Prof. Braxton will play on the 23rd but not the 29th, but if you check via the contact information I provided, you should be able to find out. We'll be away on both dates, so I haven't checked myself

            On another subject, are people reading "Time and Anthony Braxton" by Stuart Broomer? I haven't seen it mentioned on this list since early December.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 13, 2010
              I saw it literally 2 seconds after I sent the first email. Thanks!