AB debuts new music system at Wesleyan 30 April 2009

  • Christopher
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2009
      I'm lucky to live this close to Wesleyan U, just a half hour from my house. I get to see/hear AB at least 4 times a year and still get to bed at a reasonable hour. Plus the few shows in NYC I manage to get to, I average about 5 or 6 AB concerts a year.
      This show was originally scheduled for April 29 at 8pm, but luckily we found out that morning that the concert was actually at 7pm on the 30th.
      Everyone except the pianists and bassists played pre-recorded music on their ipods hooked up to small amplifiers.Much of that music seemed to be AB stuff! plus the occasional hip-hop beats and some bagpipe or double reed instrument.
      I'm not sure what to say about this Echo Echo Mirror House Music other than the fact that it is very dense. 17 musicans plus most of them had ipods playing through small amplifiers set up around the stage. So in effect you could have some 30 different sound sources at once, not in unison! Quite a challenging listen. AB played a lot, switching between instruments quite often. It was hard to hear him clearly with all the other stuff going on onstage.
      This was billed as a small ensemble, we'll be back at Wesleyan on Monday May 4 to hear the large ensemble...I wonder how big that one will be.
      Below is close to who was playing what. The program only listed 13 musicians, I did my best based on past concerts, but there were some new faces on stage.

      Anthony Braxton Small Ensemble
      Crowell Concert Hall
      Wesleyan University
      Middletown, CT

      World Premiere of Anthony Braxton's latest system:
      Echo Echo Mirror House Music

      Set 1 56:51

      Set 2 60:43

      Anthony Braxton - conductor / sopranino, soprano and alto saxophones, contrabass clarinet, ipod
      Andre Marquetti - tenor saxophone, ipod
      Richard McGhee III - saxophone, ipod
      Sally Norris - piano
      Andrew Greenwald - percussion, ipod
      George Brady - celeste (second set only)
      Adam Kubota - bass
      Sam Backer - clarinet, ipod
      Jeff Rovinelli - clarinet, ipod
      Adam Tinkle - alto saxophone, ipod
      Dan Voss - alto saxophone, ipod
      Eoin Callery - bodhran, ipod
      Leah Shesler - violin (first set only), ipod
      Jonathan Zorn - bass
      unknown - clarinet, ipod
      unknown - trombone, ipod
      unknown - soprano saxophone and flute, ipod
      unknown - piano
    • CheepnisAroma
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2009
        Le 1 mai 09 à 12 h 57, Christopher a écrit :

        > I'm lucky to live this close to Wesleyan U, just a half hour from
        > my house. I get to see/hear AB at least 4 times a year and still
        > get to bed at a reasonable hour. Plus the few shows in NYC I manage
        > to get to, I average about 5 or 6 AB concerts a year.
        > This show was originally scheduled for April 29 at 8pm, but
        > luckily we found out that morning that the concert was actually at
        > 7pm on the 30th.
        > Everyone except the pianists and bassists played pre-recorded
        > music on their ipods hooked up to small amplifiers.Much of that
        > music seemed to be AB stuff! plus the occasional hip-hop beats and
        > some bagpipe or double reed instrument.
        > I'm not sure what to say about this Echo Echo Mirror House Music
        > other than the fact that it is very dense. 17 musicans plus most of
        > them had ipods playing through small amplifiers set up around the
        > stage. So in effect you could have some 30 different sound sources
        > at once, not in unison! Quite a challenging listen. AB played a
        > lot, switching between instruments quite often. It was hard to hear
        > him clearly with all the other stuff going on onstage.
        > This was billed as a small ensemble, we'll be back at Wesleyan on
        > Monday May 4 to hear the large ensemble...I wonder how big that one
        > will be.
        > Below is close to who was playing what. The program only listed 13
        > musicians, I did my best based on past concerts, but there were
        > some new faces on stage.

        Thank you so much for telling us! This description really sounds
        interesting. I hope Echo Echo Mirror House Music will make its way on
        CDs. Ooooh, I'd love to live in Connecticut sometimes :/

        -- Jérôme
      • Random Particle
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2009
          My GOD!! That needs to be recorded. And not just audio recorded, video recorded, using more than just stereo recording. (I still don't know much about recording technology. I write and play music and leave the technology to the recording engineer, when I get the few and far between opportunity to record.)    I mean, that really sounds like a marvelous AB event and I hope he documents some of that.

           And what about the recordings he made in Korea many many years ago.

          Love is the only thing that really matters,     David Parker

          ------------ --------- --------- --------- -

          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2009

            hello Anthony Braxton email discussion group,

                        Let me start out by saying the following:

                        In my opinion, President Barak Obama should invite Muhal Richard Abrams to play a concert in the White House, both a solo piano concert and a big band concert.

                        I have been thinking about this for a few weeks. And I have the notion of trying to get a campaign going to persuade President Obama to make such an invitation.

                        Thinking about this, I am of two minds: This is something that absolutely MUST happen and CAN happen. And on the other hand, This is just another one of my crazy pipedreams that will NEVER happen.

                          To my mind, the importance of Muhal Richard Abrams is obvious. His creativity as an improvising pianist and as a composer is gigantic, and he is the founder (or one of the key founders) of the AACM.

                         And as we all know, there is now a book published documenting the AACM, written by a musician/scholar who is officially recognized by the MacCarthur Foundation as a genius (George Lewis. But everybody here knows that.)

                         What do people think? Can I persuade people,  here in the Braxton email discussion,  to write letters and make phone calls to President Barak Obama asking him to extend such an invitation? Would people be willing to lend their thought, time and effort in creative ideas and action to  achieve such a goal?

                       Does Anthony Braxton have an opinion on the matter?

                          Or is this just another of my crazy pipedreams not worth considering?

                                           Still crazy and almost 50,  David Parker

          • Ben Opie
            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2009
              Far be it for me to stop you from petitioning the White House to present Mr. Abrams. Of course with my own biases, I'd be more likely to suggest AB or Ornette.

              There must be hope though, if Jimmy Carter had Cecil Taylor perform on the White House lawn.

              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2009
                Le 2 mai 09 à 22 h 06, Random Particle a écrit :

                > hello Anthony Braxton email discussion group,
                >
                > Let me start out by saying the following:
                >
                > In my opinion, President Barak Obama should invite
                > Muhal Richard Abrams to play a concert in the White House, both a
                > solo piano concert and a big band concert.
                >
                > I have been thinking about this for a few weeks. And I
                > have the notion of trying to get a campaign going to persuade
                > President Obama to make such an invitation.
                >
                > Thinking about this, I am of two minds: This is
                > something that absolutely MUST happen and CAN happen. And on the
                > other hand, This is just another one of my crazy pipedreams that
                > will NEVER happen.
                >
                > To my mind, the importance of Muhal Richard Abrams is
                > obvious. His creativity as an improvising pianist and as a composer
                > is gigantic, and he is the founder (or one of the key founders) of
                > the AACM.
                >
                > And as we all know, there is now a book published
                > documenting the AACM, written by a musician/scholar who is
                > officially recognized by the MacCarthur Foundation as a genius
                > (George Lewis. But everybody here knows that.)
                >
                > What do people think? Can I persuade people, here in
                > the Braxton email discussion, to write letters and make phone
                > calls to President Barak Obama asking him to extend such an
                > invitation? Would people be willing to lend their thought, time and
                > effort in creative ideas and action to achieve such a goal?
                >
                > Does Anthony Braxton have an opinion on the matter?
                >
                > Or is this just another of my crazy pipedreams not
                > worth considering?
                >
                > Still crazy and almost 50, David
                > Parker

                That would be nice but I'm afraid Barack Obama has lots of problems
                to deal with so I'm not sure this would be very high on his priority
                list. A world financial crisis, for example. Oh well.

                -- Jérôme
              • anthony whiteford
                Message 7 of 10 , May 3, 2009
                  capitalism isnt in crisiscapitalism is crisishe could pull all his trained killers out of all the bits of the world he\s trying to plunderand have a party on the lawnwith the money he\s saved
                  ha ha ha ha

                  "I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 4, 2009
                    Well, Jerome, there was another US President, Franklin Delano Roosevelt had
                    "lots of problems to deal with", the Great Depression, for example, and yet government programs supporting a wide variety of artists, writers, and even composers was very very high "on his priority list." So, with all due respect, there are historical precedents that appear contrary to your point of view given here. Nonetheless, I appreciate the feedback.

                    Additionally, and further re-enforcing my point, I offer a quote from an editorial recently printed in the Chicago tribune and re-printed in other US newpapers:

                    " ¨¨ At a time when credit is tight and budgets are tighter, why not loosen things up a bit—with jazz?¨ "

                    Howard Reich

                    This article, about bringing jazz, once again, to the white house, is worth reading in its entirety:

                    http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-jazz-prez-1116nov16,0,3590905.story

                    I am going to write more in response to the other responses that have appeared so far. And I want to hear more. But for now, let me just close saying that I think I have a good idea here, and I ask people to consider supporting it. Lets bring Muhal Richard Abrams to the White House. call President Barak Obama and ask him to do so.

                    Live from Leon, Nicaragua, where the poets walk the street, the children are alwasy ready with a smart ass comment, and the women are famous for their beauty,

                    David Parker

                    Le 2 mai 09 à 22 h 06, Random Particle a écrit :

                    > hello Anthony Braxton email discussion group,
                    >
                    > Let me start out by saying the following:
                    >
                    > In my opinion, President Barak Obama should invite
                    > Muhal Richard Abrams to play a concert in the White House, both a
                    > solo piano concert and a big band concert.
                    >
                    > I have been thinking about this for a few weeks. And I
                    > have the notion of trying to get a campaign going to persuade
                    > President Obama to make such an invitation.
                    >
                    > Thinking about this, I am of two minds: This is
                    > something that absolutely MUST happen and CAN happen. And on the
                    > other hand, This is just another one of my crazy pipedreams that
                    > will NEVER happen.
                    >
                    > To my mind, the importance of Muhal Richard Abrams is
                    > obvious. His creativity as an improvising pianist and as a composer
                    > is gigantic, and he is the founder (or one of the key founders) of
                    > the AACM.
                    >
                    > And as we all know, there is now a book published
                    > documenting the AACM, written by a musician/scholar who is
                    > officially recognized by the MacCarthur Foundation as a genius
                    > (George Lewis. But everybody here knows that.)
                    >
                    > What do people think? Can I persuade people, here in
                    > the Braxton email discussion, to write letters and make phone
                    > calls to President Barak Obama asking him to extend such an
                    > invitation? Would people be willing to lend their thought, time and
                    > effort in creative ideas and action to achieve such a goal?
                    >
                    > Does Anthony Braxton have an opinion on the matter?
                    >
                    > Or is this just another of my crazy pipedreams not
                    > worth considering?
                    >
                    > Still crazy and almost 50, David
                    > Parker

                    That would be nice but I'm afraid Barack Obama has lots of problems
                    to deal with so I'm not sure this would be very high on his priority
                    list. A world financial crisis, for example. Oh well.

                    -- Jérôme

                  • Herb Levy
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 4, 2009
                      While it's quite true that FDR mobilized a lot of artists during the
                      Depression as one of several jobs programs, the emphasis was on
                      supporting a large number of artists distributed across the US, rather
                      than a focus on honoring a single artist in a high-profile gig in
                      Washington DC.
                    • Random Particle
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 4, 2009
                        Correct. But my rejoinder to Jerome is still valid and correct. The issue was would President Obama have time with all the economic problems. Of course he will. It is a lot easier, in fact, than what FDR will. To put it mildly, President Barak Obama is quite capable of walking and chewing bubble gum at the same time, and a whole lot more, of course.  (Am I using the word "rejoinder" correctly? I don't have time to check a dictionary.)