Lots of Steve Coleman albums for free download

  • Franz Fuchs
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
      I haven't downloaded anything so far, therefore I can't say if it's
      working. (Steve Coleman writes "...my server is closing down soon"
      because the demand's very heavy.) There are more than 15 albums
      available for free, legal download.

      http://www.m-base.org/sounds.html

      Further reading:

      Steve Coleman: Why Do I give away some of my music?

      http://www.m-base.org/mp3_philosophy.html

      Best regards
      Franz Fuchs
    • Franz Fuchs
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
        I wrote:

        > I haven't downloaded anything so far, therefore I can't say if it's
        > working. (Steve Coleman writes "...my server is closing down soon"
        > because the demand's very heavy.) There are more than 15 albums
        > available for free, legal download.
        >
        > http://www.m-base.org/sounds.html
        >
        > Further reading:
        >
        > Steve Coleman: Why Do I give away some of my music?
        >
        > http://www.m-base.org/mp3_philosophy.html

        Well, it seems this generous offer from Mr. Coleman is hardly new. He
        began to add the MP3s 3-4 years ago, so you can probably ignore the
        caveat about download limits. (Though I suppose there will be a lot of
        demand, since

        freealbums.blogsome.com/2006/02/02/steve-coleman-several-albums

        links to the M-Base site today.)

        Coleman's description of his music as "macro-basic array of spontaneous
        extemporization” sounds very Braxtonian :-)

        I always liked the "cool" (in the sense of Cool Jazz), rigorous music
        that the Holland/Coleman/Eubanks/Smith Quartet made at the 80s/90s
        threshold.

        Best regards
        Franz Fuchs

        Now playing (via radio): The Emerson String Quartet with Mozart and
        Shostakovich.
      • Franz Fuchs
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
          Last year, Dave Fiore, whose weblog I like very much, published a
          historiographic paper titled (in part jocosely) "A Horse is a Horse--Of
          Course: Sympathy and the Subaltern in Postbellum America". He argues -
          and I guess this can't be offtopic on a Braxton mailing list - that one
          important impetus for the ascent of the American animal rights movement
          after the 1860s were the redirected energies of abolitionists. Because
          the end of slavery rather than being just that - an end - proved to be
          more of a beginning with many difficulties, important parts of the
          abolitionist movement found it less frustrating to start a new struggle,
          this time for "our dumb animals". (This was the title of the MSPCA's*
          monthly journal!).

          http://ynot.motime.com/1115377015#450678
          (The complete paper has ca. 4000 words.)

          Best regards
          Franz Fuchs

          *
          Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
        • Rick Lopez
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
            on 2/2/06 3:33 PM, Franz Fuchs at f.fuchs@... wrote:

            > Best regards
            > Franz Fuchs
            >
            > *
            > Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

            The only thing I ever wrote on my blog:

            http://bb10k.blogspot.com/

            The quotes at bottom are important, I think.

            Also that it's the ideal, both in Christianity and Judaism.

            So the question: What the hell are we waiting for?

            Anyway, don't mean to be strident *at all*-- I was very angry when I wrote
            it, but the points remain to made.

            Secular Franciscans 'R' Us,
            RL

            ***
            Selling my MUSIC COLLECTION! SALE Link on main page...

            http://www.bb10k.com/ = Music research, Writing, etc...

            CRISPELL; Wm. PARKER; RIVERS; SPEARMAN; D.S. WARE;
            Courvoisier; Eneidi; Ibarra; Maneri; Morris; Shipp

            Samuel Beckett Eulogy; Baseball & the 10,000 Things;
            LUCILLE-- a Reverential Journal of the Care of the Beloved Hag
            Time Stops; LOVETORN; HARD BOIL; ... ETC.

            CECIL TAYLOR RESEARCH GROUP:
            + CT Sessionography: http://www.webmutations.com/ceciltaylor/

            ANTHONY BRAXTON PROJECT GROUP: ( Sessionography Coming !!! )

            RivBEA_Research / SAM RIVERS RESEARCH COLLECTIVE
            http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/RivBEA_Research/