weird cassette

  • Francesco Martinelli
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2000
      I'm listening to the weirdest Braxton cassette - someone in Rome organized a
      concert back in 1981 under the name of Ran Blake. With the pianist, the
      cassette label says, there were an orchestra of his pupils at NE
      Conservatory, Lee Konitz, Anthony Braxton and Jeanne Lee.
      Pretty interesting huh?
      Unfortunately the project was including projection, workshop and so on but
      nothing worked; at the very last minute the program was reshuffled to go on
      stage with something. After 20' I'm ready to climb up the walls - after some
      kind of orchestral introduction where it was possible to hear both
      saxophonists, there's a female voice who's definitely not Lee singing a
      medley of distorted Cole Porter tunes with piano accompaniment. Nothing
      else. I imagine Braxton and Konitz sitting there, or backstage....talk about
      great failures, this must be on a par with the famous Mingus orchestra
      thing. And Braxton didnt play at the festival with his group or even solo!
      Imagine bringing him up to Rome for this!
      I must ask him about it next time.... "Hmmmmmmm - it was an interesting
      situation...."
      BY now Blake, desperate, sent away the singer and is playing solo. The
      italian jazz magazine crushed the whole thing - I know realise they were
      right!
      AB played a duo with Roach in Milan in the same days.
      Wait, now there's a trio with Blake, Lee (I guess she's there this time) and
      Braxton playing a Blake composition. Not bad. Two long solo sax and solo
      voice sections.