Discography update

  • Jason Guthartz
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2005
      Hi all,

      There are a bunch of new additions to my Braxton discography, summarized
      here:
      http://www.restructures.net/news.htm

      Particularly noteworthy is the following item, whose significance is
      dwarfed by its suggestiveness:

      *various artists
      "Stil - 25th Anniversary"
      _Stil audio numerique / Neuf titres pour 1/4 de siecle,
      1971-1996_ (+)* *see NOTE*

      Stil Editions 2103 SAN 97 (CD, 1997, incl. with 4-page catalogue)

      1. "'Saxo-improvisation, saxo alto"
      [You Go to My Head -- see NOTE] /(//J. Fred Coots / Haven
      Gillespie//)/ [6:39]

      NOTE: Graham Lock explains: "In the summer of 1985 Braxton
      recorded approx 14 LPs worth of solo music for Stil Editions.
      The recording was done in a church in Paris. (There's info re
      this in /Forces in Motion/ on pages 136 and 384.) As far as I
      know, none of this material has ever been issued EXCEPT for one
      track on a special CD+catalogue issue that Stil released to
      celebrate their 25th anniversary. It's hard to say what the CD
      is called - the cover has the following info: 'Stil audio
      numerique / Un Quart de Siecle / 25 annees d'urgence et de
      creation / Bonjour, Monsieur BEUYS!' while the disc itself has
      'Stil audio numerique / Neuf titres pour 1/4 de siecle,
      1971-1996'. The catalogue number is 2103 SAN 97 and the disc was
      issued in 1997. All the tracks on it except the Braxton are from
      discs Stil had already released. There's no info re date or
      place of recording of the Braxton track (but he did tell me in
      1985 it was Paris in the summer!). The Braxton track is simply
      listed as 'Saxo-improvisation, saxo alto', with a timing of 6'
      39". I'm certain it's actually a version of 'You Go To My Head'
      (though, curiously, in the track listing that Braxton gave me
      for the 14 LPs back in 1985 - see /Forces in Motion/ [p.384] -
      there's no mention of 'You Go To My Head'!)"

      Anthony Braxton (as)

      *1985 – summer
      *unidentified church
      Paris (France)

      Thanks to Graham Lock for the information about this ultra-obscure item.
      If anyone knows anything more about Stil Editions and/or this
      CD+catalogue, please speak up.

      Happy May Day,
      Jason

      --
      Jason Guthartz
      jason@...
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2005
        In the "Third Millenial Interview" pt. 1* AB says the following:

        "No, I'm talking about the Democratic Party. This is why I have no use
        for the Democratic Party or for the liberals, and this is why I've come
        to see that I can no longer afford to think in terms of having some kind
        of alignment with the conservatives or the liberals. This is why a guy
        like Ralph Nader is a person I can support, because of demonstrated
        commitment, and this is why, in my opinion, both the conservatives and
        the liberals hate Nader--but actually, I guess the conservatives love
        Nader, because they know that Nader is taking away from the liberal
        sector of the Democratic Party."

        Reading this, I wonder how Braxton reacted to the "progressive paradox"
        of the last Presidential Election. (Voting for Kerry, a politician that
        you're maybe not very excited about vs. voting for Nader, who didn't
        have nowhere near a chance to get elected, therefore making this more of
        a symbolic gesture.)

        Best regards
        Franz Fuchs

        *
        http://mheffley.web.wesleyan.edu/ab3m/ab3m1.htm
      • Franz Fuchs
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2005
          From Jason Guthartz:

          > NOTE: Graham Lock explains: "In the summer of 1985 Braxton
          > recorded approx 14 LPs worth of solo music for Stil Editions.
          > The recording was done in a church in Paris. (There's info re
          > this in /Forces in Motion/ on pages 136 and 384.) As far as I
          > know, none of this material has ever been issued
          > EXCEPT for one track on a special CD+catalogue issue that Stil
          > released to celebrate their 25th anniversary.

          Just recently I thought that in this day and age it should be possible
          to put the music of these 14LPs out, either the whole box as a MP3-CD
          (easier said than done, I know) or digital download or at least one
          regular CD sampler. Of course, issuing it in separate CD installments
          would be ideal but after twenty years this doesn't seem very likely.

          Best regards
          Franz Fuchs
        • Franz Fuchs
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2005
            Recently I wrote that with Jason's one-page discography it would be
            easier to gather certain statistics. Now I want to bother you with the
            following question: How many Braxton vinyl releases have there been in
            the last years? My tentative answer: Three since 1991.

            - Solo (London) 1988 rel. 1991
            - 4 (Ensemble) Compositions - 1992
            - [The JazzActuel compilation Get Back GET 300 (6-LP) but only with
            excerpts from Jacques Coursil's "Black Suite" and "Anthony Braxton"]
            - Solo (Skopje) 1995

            Best regards
            Franz Fuchs
          • Jason Guthartz
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2005
              --- In Anthony_BRAXTON@yahoogroups.com, "Franz Fuchs" <f.fuchs@g...>
              wrote:
              > I wonder how Braxton reacted to the "progressive paradox"
              > of the last Presidential Election.

              I don't know if you're wondering about how AB actually voted or just
              about his thoughts regarding Nader's candidacy.
              Due to our winner-take-all, anti-democratic electoral system, you need
              to look at the situation in each state to see whether that "paradox"
              actually existed (but see comment below). Connecticut (where Braxton
              is presumably registered) has been solidly "blue" (Democratic) in the
              last two elections:

              2004 - % of votes (% of eligible voters):
              Kerry: 54.3 (31.9)
              Bush: 43.9 (25.8)
              Nader: 1.0 (0.4)
              "nobody": -- (41.1)

              (of eligible CT voters, 58.8% voted in '04, up from 56.6% in '00)

              2000 - % of votes:
              Gore: 55.9
              Bush: 38.4
              Nader: 4.4

              (Interesting to see that in CT, it seems that most of Nader's votes in
              '00 went to Bush in '04)

              sources:
              http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/fe2000/2000presge.htm
              http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/fe2004/2004presgen.shtml
              http://elections.gmu.edu/Voter_Turnout_2004.htm

              About the "paradox": As these statistics suggest, what is most
              problematic is not the progressive voter's choice between a Kerry and
              a Nader, but the eligible voter's decision whether to vote at all.
              The cynicism and apathy promoted by corporate-owned mass media ensures
              that corporate-owned candidates will prevail, regardless of whether
              they're listed as "D" or "R" on the ballot.

              -Jason

              PS - In any case, it's possible if not likely that Kerry actually won
              the election:
            • Franz Fuchs
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                From Jason Guthartz:

                > > I wonder how Braxton reacted to the "progressive paradox"
                > > of the last Presidential Election.
                >
                > I don't know if you're wondering about how AB actually voted or just
                > about his thoughts regarding Nader's candidacy.
                > Due to our winner-take-all, anti-democratic electoral system, you need
                > to look at the situation in each state to see whether that "paradox"
                > actually existed (but see comment below).

                I should have put two and two together myself (looking for the state
                where Braxton's presumably registered and for its results)...Thanks for
                the statistics.

                > 2004 - % of votes (% of eligible voters):
                > Kerry: 54.3 (31.9)
                > Bush: 43.9 (25.8)
                > Nader: 1.0 (0.4)
                > "nobody": -- (41.1)

                The pre-election polls predicted this result? Then we can speculate that
                Braxton didn't make a tactical vote for Kerry to contribute to his
                victory state-wise. And that he changed his heart regarding the
                Democrats is doubtable, at least I see no reason why he'd find a party
                led by Kerry more sympathetic than the Gore-led of 2000.

                > About the "paradox": As these statistics suggest, what is most
                > problematic is not the progressive voter's choice between a Kerry and
                > a Nader, but the eligible voter's decision whether to vote at all.
                > The cynicism and apathy promoted by corporate-owned mass media ensures
                > that corporate-owned candidates will prevail, regardless of whether
                > they're listed as "D" or "R" on the ballot.

                I can't disagree. Sad as it is, it seems what you're saying is true.
                What voting Republican or Democrat under these circumstances means,
                everyone has to decide for himself or herself...Some will say it leads
                to a further strengthening of the bad status quo, others will call
                attention to the lack of a viable progressive third-party candidate and
                that, after all, as much as Democrats and Republicans are
                interchangeable on certain (most?) topics there are still differences. I
                tend to the latter view. David Lindorff wrote before the election:

                "For progressives, the choice this November is clear, if
                stomach-churning. There may, as my colleagues Alex Cockburn and Jeffrey
                St. Clair so eloquently demonstrate in their new book, only be a "dime's
                worth of difference" between the policies of the Republicans and the
                policies of the Democrats, but to be honest, as devalued as the currency
                is these days, I still bend down and pick up a dime when I see one on
                the street."

                (http://www.counterpunch.org/lindorff09272004.html)

                Best regards
                Franz Fuchs
              • Patrick O Donovan
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                  >only be a "dime's worth of difference" between the policies of the Republicans and the policies of the Democrats, but to be honest, as devalued as the currency is these days, I still bend down and pick up a dime when I see one on
                  >the street."
                  >
                  >(http://www.counterpunch.org/lindorff09272004.html)
                  >
                  >Best regards
                  >Franz Fuchs
                  >

                  >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
                  >In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.

                  note the yahoo message footer automatically inserted here above........
                  not "in low income neighbourhoods, 84% do not have enough money for
                  food..."
                  this is exactly why shala must fear for the poor in corporate rebranded
                  amerika
                  yahoo sponsors think the poor should all get computers, then they wont
                  be rioting in the street
                  and burning down walmart and starbucks, they'll be far too busy surfing
                  porncelebs.com
                  and building up clickthrough shopping points

                  the revolution will not be televised, but it will probably be pay per
                  view only...........
                • Blake, Gregory S {FLNA}
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 4, 2005
                    Sounds like a project for Mosaic Records; one to rival the Parker/Benedetti
                    collection.

                    (I know, I know... but I can dream can't I?)

                    Cheers,
                    Greg

                    > NOTE: Graham Lock explains: "In the summer of 1985 Braxton
                    > recorded approx 14 LPs worth of solo music for Stil Editions.
                    > The recording was done in a church in Paris. (There's info re
                    > this in /Forces in Motion/ on pages 136 and 384.) As far as I
                    > know, none of this material has ever been issued
                    > EXCEPT for one track on a special CD+catalogue issue that Stil
                    > released to celebrate their 25th anniversary.

                    Just recently I thought that in this day and age it should be possible
                    to put the music of these 14LPs out, either the whole box as a MP3-CD
                    (easier said than done, I know) or digital download or at least one
                    regular CD sampler. Of course, issuing it in separate CD installments
                    would be ideal but after twenty years this doesn't seem very likely.

                    Best regards
                    Franz Fuchs

                    _____

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  • Franz Fuchs
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 4, 2005
                      From Patrick O Donovan:

                      > Yahoo Sponsor:
                      > In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.

                      "note the yahoo message footer automatically inserted here above........
                      not "in low income neighbourhoods, 84% do not have enough money for
                      food..." this is exactly why shala must fear for the poor in corporate
                      rebranded amerika yahoo sponsors think the poor should all get
                      computers, then they wont be rioting in the street and burning down
                      walmart and starbucks, they'll be far too busy surfing porncelebs.com
                      and building up clickthrough shopping points"

                      Of course providing affordable, decent food is the first imperative but
                      having access to the Internet is a great way for political empowernment,
                      too!

                      See this (I think: fascinating) article from "Salon"

                      http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/09/23/antiglobal_geeks/
                      "Building the underground computer railroad

                      Anti-globalization activists in Oakland, Calif., are recycling old
                      machines, loading them with free software and shipping them off to
                      Ecuador."

                      I believe this link works without Salon's usual ad-sponsoring.

                      Best regards
                      Franz Fuchs
                    • thompsonprskj@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 4, 2005
                        This may be getting to far off of the subject, but as long as we're talking about Ralph Nader, I think that his progressive credentials have been damaged since he left the green party and started cozying up to the nativist ultra-conservatives who oppose Bush's ostensibly internationalist (though I think demonstrably imperialist) policies, such as participation in the international trade institutions, middle-east military interventions, etc. For example, in an interview with Pat Buchanan before the election (http://www.amconmag.com/2004_06_21/cover.html), he criticized the WTO, but not on the grounds that its policies generally are weighted toward western interests, instead describing the international trade institutions as "sovereignty shredding," indicating that he opposed such institutions because they are bad for American interests. He also called American politicians puppets for Israel, reflecting the idea held by many people on the paleoconservative ultra-right that US interventions in the middle east happen because some kind of all powerful Jewish lobby is pushing for them. Probably it would be unfair to treat such statements as being anything more than a pathetic and transparent attempt at pandering to a group of anti-semitic reactionaries, rather than actual positions. After all, does anyone actually think that Nader shares any substantive ideological common ground with Buchanan? In fact Nader's actual positions are very good in my opinion. But the reasoning that is used to justify these positions is at least in some cases antithetical to the internationalist and humanist ideals that the progressive and radical left movements stand for, and send entirely the wrong message, which is the whole point of voting for a candidate with no chance of actually winning. It also shifts the debate away from being about if a policy is good for everybody in the world, and makes the issue into what is best for Americans, which is itself a debate that I think the left probably can't win anyway.

                        It also fits nicely into the overall discussion in the US about the proper role in the world, as defined by the political establishment. For example, in the debate about the invasion of Iraq, in which on one side there are the people who believe that Iraqis are ready for freedom and democracy (represented by Bush and the hawks), and on the other side the people who do not (Kerry, other establishment figures with misgivings about the war). Of course that is completely absurd, nobody on the left that opposes the war does so because of an opposition to freedom or democracy, or because of any lack of confidence in the ability of Iraqis to run their own lives. The real question is whether or not the US government should be allowed to turn Iraq into Haiti. The purpose of a third party candidate is to raise issues like this one, but instead Nader chooses to stay within the same establishment debate as Kerry and Bush. I would like to think that Braxton voted for David Cobb, the 2004 green party candidate, who in my opinion does not share these flaws.

                        -Stephen

                        P.S. I hope that this e-mail isn't too inappropriate to the discussion, but I couldn't resist throwing in my opinion.