[Braxton] Yoshi's 1997 volume 3

  • Dirmeikisp@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 3 3:25 AM
      Just received today some very good news from Leo Records : volume 3 (2-CD
      set) of AB's Ninetet at Yosh'i's 1997 has been released.
      Thanks a lot, Leo Feigin !!!

      Paul Dirmeikis

      paul@...

      30 rue de la Fosse Argent
      22590 PORDIC
      FRANCE

      Téléphone : 02 96 58 21 17

      Site Internet : L'EVEILLEUR _http://www.dirmeikis.org/_
      (http://www.dirmeikis.org/)

    • CheepnisAroma
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 3 6:17 AM
        Very good! Another CD on my "to buy" list.
        Thanks for keeping us posted.

        CheepnisAroma

        On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 06:25:54 EST, Dirmeikisp@... <Dirmeikisp@...> wrote:

        > Just received today some very good news from Leo Records : volume 3 (2-CD
        > set) of AB's Ninetet at Yosh'i's 1997 has been released.
        > Thanks a lot, Leo Feigin !!!
        >
        > Paul Dirmeikis
      • CheepnisAroma
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 3 6:41 AM
          I opened my letterbox and saw I have a press release from Leo Records.
          Probably we have the same source of information. Another interesting
          forthcoming Leo CD: "One More Time", Steve Lacy and Joëlle Landre live
          in Belgium.

          CheepnisAroma
        • Mike Borella
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 3 7:34 AM
            CheepnisAroma wrote:

            >I opened my letterbox and saw I have a press release from Leo Records.
            >Probably we have the same source of information. Another interesting
            >forthcoming Leo CD: "One More Time", Steve Lacy and Joëlle Landre live
            >in Belgium.
            >
            >CheepnisAroma

            I really wish Leo would update his web site a little more often. How do
            you get on his mailing list for press releases?

            Mike

            --
            Mike Borella
            mike at borella dot net

            Avant Music News
            http://www.somnius.com/amn
          • CheepnisAroma
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 3 8:10 AM
              > I really wish Leo would update his web site a little more often. How do
              > you get on his mailing list for press releases?
              >
              > Mike

              I can't remember how I got on their mailing list. Probably it's
              because I ordered CDs on their web site (?).
              Maybe you can try this email address: info@...

              CheepnisAroma
            • CheepnisAroma
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 3 8:37 AM
                BTW, have you seen the new releases on Intakt Records? Mike Borella
                already mentioned the complete works of Thelonious Monk by Alexander
                von Schlippenbach. Also Lucas Niggli Zoom Ensemble's new CD, "Sweat",
                is out.

                http://www.intaktrec.ch

                CheepnisAroma
              • Franz Fuchs
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 3 10:46 AM
                  I wasn't able to find the exact days but AB is scheduled for two
                  concerts at the Victoriaville Festival (19.-23. May 2005): There will be
                  a Braxton-Fred Frith duo (!!) and a performance by the AB Sextet.

                  http://www.fimav.qc.ca/frm_of_ps.html
                  (English)
                  http://www.fimav.qc.ca/frm_of_pv.html
                  (French)

                  Best regards
                  Franz Fuchs
                • CheepnisAroma
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 3 11:07 AM
                    > I wasn't able to find the exact days but AB is scheduled for two
                    > concerts at the Victoriaville Festival (19.-23. May 2005): There will be
                    > a Braxton-Fred Frith duo (!!) and a performance by the AB Sextet.
                    >
                    > http://www.fimav.qc.ca/frm_of_ps.html
                    > (English)
                    > http://www.fimav.qc.ca/frm_of_pv.html
                    > (French)
                    >
                    > Best regards
                    > Franz Fuchs

                    Once again, thanks for the info, Franz.
                    Great! I wanted to go to Canada in May, that makes one more reason to go there.

                    CheepnisAroma
                  • Franz Fuchs
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 3 11:58 AM
                      From CheepnisAroma:

                      > Once again, thanks for the info, Franz.

                      You're welcome!

                      We can surmise with almost 100% certainty that this duo will see a CD
                      release if Braxton and Frith are satisfied with the concert.

                      Has AB ever played a duo with a musician who was (is) as deeply involved
                      in (left-field) rock as Frith?

                      My favourite FF album is "Guitar Solos", btw.

                      Best regards
                      Franz Fuchs

                      PS: I've hoped for a Braxton-Jim O'Rourke duo. Until that happens, take
                      a listen to the great Mats Gustafsson's & O'Rourke's "Xylophonen
                      Virtuosen" on Incus: http://www.incusrecords.force9.co.uk/xincusc38.htm
                    • Franz Fuchs
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 3 12:19 PM
                        > My favourite FF album is "Guitar Solos", btw.

                        http://fredfrith.com/discography/guitar_so3.html
                      • Franz Fuchs
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 3 1:30 PM
                          With Jason's discography now on one massive page, it's possible to
                          easily gather with the help of your browser's search function more or
                          less important minutiae.

                          For example, the solo saxophone music is far from overdocumentated (if
                          there can be overdocumentation at all).

                          There are two large gaps: The first between the Robert Schumann String
                          Quartet record and 19 (Solo) Compositions 1988 (one solo improvisation
                          is on hatART's "Four Compositions 1982/88"), the second between Solo
                          (Skopje) 1995 and Solo (NYC) 2002.

                          Best regards
                          Franz Fuchs
                        • Blue Lake Public Radio
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 3 5:24 PM
                            Tonight, Thursday, March 3.

                            Streaming on the web over Blue Lake Public Radio,

                            www.bluelake.org

                            Click on "public radio" page, and you'll see the link. Need a Windows Media
                            Player
                          • CheepnisAroma
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 4 8:34 AM
                              > My favourite FF album is "Guitar Solos", btw.
                              >
                              > http://fredfrith.com/discography/guitar_so3.html

                              I love "Gravity". Do you know this one?
                              And I always hoped for a AB-Eugene Chadbourne duo.
                              A duo with Marc Ribot would be interesting too.

                              CheepnisAroma
                            • B. Clugston
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 4 7:23 PM
                                Another new release on the horizon, this one from 482
                                Music. It's a quarter recording by Braxton and
                                saxophonist Matt Bauder called 2+2 Compositions. The
                                only info I have is "Modern composition for quartet."
                                It's scheduled for release in the spring.

                                Also, not sure if it's been mentioned before, but
                                Braxton is taking a pianist, trio and ensemble to this
                                year's JAZZATELIER ULRICHSBERG on June 18-19.

                                For more info, click below

                                http://www.jazzatelier.at/phono1_e.html

                              • CheepnisAroma
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 4 8:30 PM
                                  Hi listers!

                                  I've just checked HatHut's website. They say "Concept of Freedom"
                                  (AB's tribute to Duke Ellington, hatOLOGY 614) is available but I
                                  couldn't find it on the internet. Have you seen this CD somewhere?

                                  CheepnisAroma
                                • B. Clugston
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 8 10:25 AM
                                    According to HatHut's order of releases for March to
                                    May, it will be among the last released. I was under
                                    the impression that it isn't an AB tribute to
                                    Ellington, but Roland Dahinden, Hildergard Kleeb and
                                    others performing a Braxton piece mixed with
                                    Ellingtonia.

                                    --- CheepnisAroma <cheepnisaroma@...> wrote:

                                    ---------------------------------
                                    Hi listers!

                                    I've just checked HatHut's website. They say "Concept
                                    of Freedom"
                                    (AB's tribute to Duke Ellington, hatOLOGY 614) is
                                    available but I
                                    couldn't find it on the internet. Have you seen this
                                    CD somewhere?

                                    CheepnisAroma

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                                    Terms of Service.

                                  • CheepnisAroma
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 10 6:25 AM
                                      On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:25:54 +0000 (GMT), B. Clugston
                                      <bhreandainclugston@...> wrote:

                                      > According to HatHut's order of releases for March to
                                      > May, it will be among the last released. I was under
                                      > the impression that it isn't an AB tribute to
                                      > Ellington, but Roland Dahinden, Hildergard Kleeb and
                                      > others performing a Braxton piece mixed with
                                      > Ellingtonia.
                                      >
                                      > --- CheepnisAroma <cheepnisaroma@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > ---------------------------------
                                      > Hi listers!
                                      >
                                      > I've just checked HatHut's website. They say "Concept
                                      > of Freedom"
                                      > (AB's tribute to Duke Ellington, hatOLOGY 614) is
                                      > available but I
                                      > couldn't find it on the internet. Have you seen this
                                      > CD somewhere?
                                      >
                                      > CheepnisAroma

                                      Well, we'll have to wait then.
                                      This cd seems interesting :)

                                      -- CheepnisAroma
                                    • CheepnisAroma
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 10 7:40 AM
                                        Hi listers!

                                        I was reading the thread about Victoriaville 2005 and the duos Franz
                                        and I hope for.
                                        Two more on my wish list: AB-Milford Graves and AB-Sonny Murray duos.
                                        I have the AB-Gino Robair duo and I like it very much.

                                        -- CheepnisAroma
                                      • B. Clugston
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 10 12:18 PM
                                          It really does sound interesting. Both Dahinden and
                                          Kleeb, who are married, have performed Braxton works
                                          before. Dahinden, a trombonist, performs on at least
                                          five albums with Braxton and is a real treat. I love
                                          his work on Sextet (Istanbul) and Tentet (New York).
                                          Kleeb was the pianist on the four CD set of Braxton
                                          notated piano works, which I quite enjoy. I also have
                                          a CD of their's performing Cage works.
                                          Concept of Freedom also features Dimitris Polisoidis
                                          (violin) and Robert Holdrich (electronics).

                                        • jason@restructures.net
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 10 4:41 PM
                                            --- In Anthony_BRAXTON@yahoogroups.com, CheepnisAroma
                                            <cheepnisaroma@g...> wrote:
                                            >on my wish list: AB-Milford Graves

                                            add Cecil for the trio of all trios!

                                            dreaming, Jason
                                          • CheepnisAroma
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 10 4:54 PM
                                              <cheepnisaroma@g...> wrote:
                                              > >on my wish list: AB-Milford Graves
                                              >
                                              > add Cecil for the trio of all trios!
                                              >
                                              > dreaming, Jason

                                              Cecil Taylor? Of course, that goes without saying :)
                                              A duo with Tony Oxley would be interesting I think.
                                            • CheepnisAroma
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 10 7:37 PM
                                                B. Clugston <bhreandainclugston@...> wrote:

                                                > It really does sound interesting. Both Dahinden and
                                                > Kleeb, who are married, have performed Braxton works
                                                > before. Dahinden, a trombonist, performs on at least
                                                > five albums with Braxton and is a real treat. I love
                                                > his work on Sextet (Istanbul) and Tentet (New York).
                                                > Kleeb was the pianist on the four CD set of Braxton
                                                > notated piano works, which I quite enjoy. I also have
                                                > a CD of their's performing Cage works.
                                                > Concept of Freedom also features Dimitris Polisoidis
                                                > (violin) and Robert Holdrich (electronics).

                                                I didn't know Dahinden and Kleeb are married.
                                                I don't know Kleeb very well, I have the 4-cd box you mentioned.
                                                Roland Dahinden is one of my favorite trombonists. He also performs on
                                                Christian Wolff's "Exercises" (HatHut). A cd I can't recommend enough.

                                                -- CheepnisAroma
                                              • CheepnisAroma
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 10 9:18 PM
                                                  B. Clugston <bhreandainclugston@...> wrote:

                                                  > It really does sound interesting. Both Dahinden and
                                                  > Kleeb, who are married, have performed Braxton works
                                                  > before. Dahinden, a trombonist, performs on at least
                                                  > five albums with Braxton and is a real treat. I love
                                                  > his work on Sextet (Istanbul) and Tentet (New York).
                                                  > Kleeb was the pianist on the four CD set of Braxton
                                                  > notated piano works, which I quite enjoy. I also have
                                                  > a CD of their's performing Cage works.
                                                  > Concept of Freedom also features Dimitris Polisoidis
                                                  > (violin) and Robert Holdrich (electronics).

                                                  PS-The Instanbul and New York CDs you're mentioning are Braxton House
                                                  CDs, right?
                                                  Alas, I never found these CDs. If someone knows a website where to buy
                                                  them, please drop me a line.

                                                  -- CheepnisAroma
                                                • Franz Fuchs
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Mar 22 4:11 PM
                                                    From Mike Borella:

                                                    > I really wish Leo would update his web site a little more
                                                    > often.

                                                    I could not find Leo's March 2005 releases on a seperate page either.
                                                    But on the artist page

                                                    http://www.leorecords.com/?m=artists&id=Braxton

                                                    there's a link to Ninetet Vol. 3

                                                    http://www.leorecords.com/?m=select&id=CD_LR_420/421

                                                    Best regards
                                                    Franz Fuchs
                                                  • Franz Fuchs
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Mar 22 4:21 PM
                                                      From Cheepnis:

                                                      > > My favourite FF album is "Guitar Solos", btw.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > http://fredfrith.com/discography/guitar_so3.html
                                                      >
                                                      > I love "Gravity". Do you know this one?

                                                      No, but thanks for the reminder...To get a first impression of this
                                                      record I'll download it from emusic, which is obviously adding ReR CDs
                                                      to its catalogue:

                                                      http://www.emusic.com/album/10852/10852545.html

                                                      Best regards
                                                      Franz Fuchs
                                                    • pbuzby2002
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Mar 22 6:45 PM
                                                        --- In Anthony_BRAXTON@yahoogroups.com, "Franz Fuchs" <f.fuchs@g...>
                                                        wrote:
                                                        > From Cheepnis:
                                                        >
                                                        > > > My favourite FF album is "Guitar Solos", btw.
                                                        > > >
                                                        > > > http://fredfrith.com/discography/guitar_so3.html
                                                        > >
                                                        > > I love "Gravity". Do you know this one?
                                                        >
                                                        > No, but thanks for the reminder...

                                                        I'm partial to the followup, Speechless.

                                                        Pat Buzby
                                                        Chicago, IL
                                                      • Mike Borella
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Mar 23 4:01 AM
                                                          Franz Fuchs wrote:
                                                          >>From Cheepnis:
                                                          >

                                                          >>>My favourite FF album is "Guitar Solos", btw.
                                                          >>>
                                                          >>>http://fredfrith.com/discography/guitar_so3.html
                                                          >>
                                                          >>I love "Gravity". Do you know this one?
                                                          >

                                                          > No, but thanks for the reminder...To get a first impression of this
                                                          > record I'll download it from emusic, which is obviously adding ReR CDs
                                                          > to its catalogue:
                                                          >
                                                          > http://www.emusic.com/album/10852/10852545.html

                                                          That's great news although I'm almost disappointed that I just ordered
                                                          some of their new stuff on CD. Oh well, no big deal... I'd love to see
                                                          their complete back catalog on emusic.

                                                          --
                                                          Mike Borella
                                                          mike at borella dot net