Re: Series F

  • Acousticlv@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2000
      Dear Friends,
      I've always loved the Inner City LP Solo Improvisations: Series F,
      licensed from French Musidisc. Someone told me they thought the original
      issue was a double disc or two volumes. It doesn't seem so from the liner
      notes on the Inner City. If you have info, might you answer me directly/
      Much Thanks
      Steve Koenig
      NY Editor, La Folia Music Review
      www.lafolia.com
    • Jason Guthartz
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2000
        Anthony Braxton
        Saxophone Improvisations Series F

        America 30AM011/012 (2-LP)
        also: # 1-4 on Inner City IC 1008 (LP)

        1. {Comp. 8 I} - Stage 1/2/3 (dedicated to Bobby Fisher) (Braxton)
        [1:11/1:00/2:15]

        2. {Comp. 26 A} (dedicated to Marie-Claude Conet) (Braxton) [9:04]

        3. {Comp. 26 J} (dedicated to Dave, Claire and Louise Holland) (Braxton)
        [6:50]

        4. {Comp. 26 B} (to Maurice McIntyre) (Braxton) [17:54]
        5. {Comp. 26 D} (dedicated to Ann Taylor) (Braxton) [2:15]
        6. {Comp. 8 J} (dedicated to Buckminster Fuller) (Braxton) [5:19]
        7. {Comp. 26 C} (dedicated to George Conley) (Braxton) [6:54]
        8. {Comp. 26 I} (dedicated to June Patton) (Braxton) [7:17]
        9. {Comp. 26 F} (dedicated to Phillip Glass) (Braxton) [19:00]

        Braxton (as)

        1972 - February
        Paris (France)

      • B Clugston
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 18, 2000
          The original issue of Series F (recorded in 1972 in Paris, released either
          that year or the next) was a double-LP set, then re-released as a single LP
          set by Inner City. The second disk got dropped for reissue, which is a shame
          since they lopped off a great side-long Kelvin piece ("26F," I think). Keep
          checking those used vinyl racks!

          Has anyone ever heard the Recital Paris 1971 album with the 25-minute-plus
          version of "Come Sunday?" Was curious what it's like.

          There's a lot of Braxton vinyl from the '70s that hasn't made the jump to
          CD. There was some rumblings of a possible Arista set on Mosaic. Anyone have
          any word on that or other reissues?
        • mgraymcn
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 11, 2004
            Hello,

            I was very excited to hear that Braxton's "Saxophone Improvisations,
            Series F" is going to be released on CD. I read here that the release
            date was to be Dec. 6, but it doesn't appear to be available yet
            (Downtown Music Gallery says "forthcoming", and other sites don't list
            it at all).

            Is there anywhere in to get it in the US, or do we just have to wait a
            little longer?

            Mike McNeill
          • Franz Fuchs
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 11, 2004
              From Mike McNeill:

              > I was very excited to hear that Braxton's "Saxophone Improvisations,
              > Series F" is going to be released on CD. I read here that the release
              > date was to be Dec. 6, but it doesn't appear to be available yet
              > (Downtown Music Gallery says "forthcoming", and other sites don't list
              > it at all).
              >
              > Is there anywhere in to get it in the US, or do we just have to wait a
              > little longer?

              Unfortunately I can't help you regarding the US, I just want to say that
              the records (label: Emarcy as announced by Bill) - have been released.
              Amazon.fr/Amazon.de (but not Amazon.com) have it with a release date of
              December 6th/7th respectively. Amazon.de has pictures of the sleeves:

              Saxophone Improvisation (2CD):

              http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008S7JY
              http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008S7JY

              Donna Lee:

              http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008S7JW
              http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008S7JW

              A nice footnote is that Eugene Chadbourne reviewed "Saxophone
              Improvisations Series F" for the AMG:
              http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:65rv281r055a~T1

              Regards
              Franz Fuchs
            • B. Clugston
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 17, 2004
                For those of us in North America, Downtown Music
                Gallery is now stocking the America issues.
                Note that this issue of Series F is a reissue of the
                2-LP original issue on America. The Inner City album
                only had sides 1 & 2.
                A third Braxton appearance on America, Archie Shepp &
                Philly Joe Jones, is not part of this batch of
                reissues, which is a pity. Half of that session did
                appear on a shadowy CD credited to Chicago Beau, but
                I'm not aware of any legitimate releases.

                --- Franz Fuchs <f.fuchs@...> wrote:

                ---------------------------------
                From Mike McNeill:

                > I was very excited to hear that Braxton's "Saxophone
                Improvisations,
                > Series F" is going to be released on CD. I read
                here that the release
                > date was to be Dec. 6, but it doesn't appear to be
                available yet
                > (Downtown Music Gallery says "forthcoming", and
                other sites don't list
                > it at all).
                >
                > Is there anywhere in to get it in the US, or do we
                just have to wait a
                > little longer?

                Unfortunately I can't help you regarding the US, I
                just want to say that
                the records (label: Emarcy as announced by Bill) -
                have been released.
                Amazon.fr/Amazon.de (but not Amazon.com) have it with
                a release date of
                December 6th/7th respectively. Amazon.de has pictures
                of the sleeves:

                Saxophone Improvisation (2CD):

                http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008S7JY
                http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008S7JY

                Donna Lee:

                http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008S7JW
                http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008S7JW

                A nice footnote is that Eugene Chadbourne reviewed
                "Saxophone
                Improvisations Series F" for the AMG:
                http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:65rv281r055a~T1

                Regards
                Franz Fuchs

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                Terms of Service.

                http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
              • Franz Fuchs
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 20, 2004
                  There's a section on AB in this book. Dan's review isn't positive, to
                  put it mildly. To a certain extent Ben Watson enjoys making enemies and
                  this biography seems to have its share of controversial statements. Why
                  I have a soft spot for Ben's writing, I cannot fully explain because
                  normally I enjoy music journalism which is unpolemic, simply because
                  acrimony distracts from the really important issues and tends to make
                  itself independent. (Neither am I a follower of Ben's beloved Adorno.)

                  But Braxton, as far as I know, has always got good to excellent reviews
                  from Watson.

                  http://makeashorterlink.com/?E2CB4521A
                  or
                  www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine/monthly2004/09sep_text.html#3
                  (The review of "23 Standards" which has already been mentioned on the
                  list, can be read on the same page.)

                  Regards
                  Franz Fuchs