Early solo concert - Ghent or France - 1969, 1970 or 1971

  • Jonathan
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2008
      Just to update one unsolved mystery ..... Mr. Braxton's personal
      collection of reel-to-reel tapes contains one item that is
      labelled "Gent" and is perhaps the first solo concert Braxton did in
      Europe. To the best of Braxton's recollection, he did his first
      European solo concert in Gent during his first trip to Europe (1969-
      70). The tape contains five pieces, two Braxton comps, Irving
      Berlin's "They Say It's Wonderful," and then two more Braxton comps.

      In trying to ascertain the Braxton compositions, I discovered that
      the first two pieces on this concert are the same performances that
      appear on Francesco Martinelli's "News from the 70s." I have now
      confirmed from Francesco that he had borrowed several reels from
      Anthony from which he put together that cd compilation. Francesco
      still has several of these reels, including the reel from which the
      solo concert excerpts came. He thinks the solo excerpts came from a
      reel marked "tape 77 PDU," annotated in a hand other than AB's. It
      was Anthony who told him that this was probably from France 1971.

      So basically there are several mysteries here -- is this the Ghent
      concert or a France concert, is it from 1969, 1970, 1971? Why did
      Anthony have two reels with the same music on them? What is "PDU"?
      Etc. etc.

      The music does sound like it is the Composition no. 8 series and so
      it is probably an early solo concert from that period.

      If I can get in touch with Anthony I'll see if he has any opinions on
      any of this, although I expect he would only be guessing himself.

      Absent more information I'm inclined to go with Ghent 1969 and
      annotate the gigography to explain the possible alternative dates.