For Alto - almost definitely 1969, not 1968

  • Jonathan
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2005
      The AACM moved into the Parkway Community House at the very end of
      1968, with inaugural concerts on New Years 1969. Since For Alto was
      recorded there, it almost certainly was recorded in 1969, contrary to
      previous discographies which have given the date as 1968. This is
      consistent with Braxton's unpublished liner notes written in February
      1970 which say that the music is less than one year old.
    • Michael Fitzgerald
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2005
        For those who are planning to work with the BRIAN discographical
        database application, the promised starter database is now available
        to download at <http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Brian/BrianDL.htm>
        (item #4 - Brian data)

        It contains over 450 compositions by Braxton and I have done my best
        to create the relevant personnel and instruments so you won't have to
        and the data entry will go smoother.

        Those who have already done some preliminary work will want to export
        the sessions already created to XML files and then close the old
        database, open the new one and import the sessions in. If you created
        personnel or compositions during your test runs, there probably will
        be some inconsistencies that need to be corrected. If necessary, I
        will be happy to take your old sessions and make the necessary
        changes that will allow them to be imported without any trouble and
        send you back adjusted XML files.

        Those brand new to the program will find things run *very* smoothly.
        That was the idea in me entering all that stuff ahead of time.

        Remember, I am always available to answer any questions regarding the
        program and discographical conventions. I've encountered just about
        every situation out there and for the odd exceptional cases which the
        program doesn't handle perfectly, I can tell you the best
        work-around. In order for a complex collaborative project to
        integrate seamlessly, there are some guidelines which will need to be
        followed. Some you can learn by viewing the Circle chronology at my
        website. I may get ambitious and write up a little cheat sheet to
        keep everyone on the same page.

        We will need to devise a mechanism to distribute updates of
        compositions, composers, personnel, and instruments. If you are
        working on Braxton and run into a situation where you can't find
        something, please contact me and if it's really not there yet, we'll
        create it and put it on the update list so everyone using the program
        can be in sync.

        And remember, this starter database has a lot more than just the
        Braxton-related stuff. There are over 27,000 *other* compositions,
        over 10,000 musicians, over 1,000 labels, etc. so knock yourself out
        and enter your other live tapes or if you've done some discography
        work, convert it over into a database format that will create
        detailed reports and indexes automatically and will allow exchange
        between other users.

        For a glimpse at what else has already been entered into this format,
        take a look at my website AND at this list
        <http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Temp/boxedsets.htm> - all that work
        is already done and can be shared with any BRIAN user. This kind of
        collaboration is the future of discography. If you are interested in
        seeing a PowerPoint presentation on how the program works, drop me a
        note and I'll send it along.

        Those using BRIAN should contact the programmer, Steve Albin
        <steve@...> so he can add your name to his distribution
        list regarding periodic upgrades.

        And for any who weren't aware - this program is FREE - and is
        available for Mac or Windows.

        Mike

        mike at JazzDiscography.com
        http://www.JazzDiscography.com
      • Rick Lopez
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2005
          on 11/30/05 11:28 PM, Michael Fitzgerald at mike@... wrote:

          > For those who are planning to work with the BRIAN discographical
          > database application

          Goddamn you Michael.

          I'm trying really hard to resist this EXTRA load upon me feeble shoulders.
          Trying, well... Although I *did* download the Bri-thing last week. Just out
          of curiosity. I had no intentions. (Did I???)

          Tried to read the tutorial but my eyes crossed. 36 hours later, however, it
          all looked much clearer. 36 hours further on, and the "promised starter
          database" is probably the final hook and line you need to throw me.

          (Watching BRIDESHEAD-- "The unseen hook, and the invisible line...")

          So okay. I cannot with any honesty promise you fellows ANY kind of definite
          timetable. ALL of my pails are overflowing. But I am sure that before long
          I'll be obsessively, and probably compulsively, doing late-night data slams
          with Anthony, Marilyn, and Brian. What a swell party this is. I am honored
          to have been invited or begged or deceptively sucked in.

          Flopping around breathlessly on the floor of your splendid little yacht,
          I remain,
          RICK LOPEZ

          HEY!!! New e-mail (and domain) :::

          ricklopez@...

          ***

          http://www.bb10k.com/ = Music research, etc...

          CRISPELL; Wm. PARKER; RIVERS; SPEARMAN; D.S. WARE;
          Courvoisier; Eneidi; Ibarra; Maneri; Morris; Shipp

          Samuel Beckett Eulogy; Baseball & the 10,000 Things;
          LUCILLE-- a Reverential Journal of the Care of the Beloved Hag
          Time Stops; LOVETORN; HARD BOIL; ... ETC.

          ***

          CECIL TAYLOR RESEARCH GROUP:
          CT Sessionography: http://www.webmutations.com/ceciltaylor/

          ANTHONY BRAXTON PROJECT GROUP:
          [ Sessionography Coming !!! ]

          ***

          There are times when I am freed up
          and I answer my e-mails as soon as they come in.
          There are other times when I am buried
          and I answer my e-mails days or weeks later.
          I have no control over which situation I will be in
          when it comes to yours, so *please* be patient!