Green Sunday (5/12): Fracking in California: Stop the Frack!

  • AnnouncementsGPAC-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2013

      Green Sunday, May 12th, 5 – 6:30 pm

      Fracking in California: Stop the Frack!

      banfrackingCA

      Please come to our Green Sunday talk to learn why and how to stop the frack!

      Oil companies have quietly begun fracking California for oil — in the Bay Delta, the hills above Ventura, Kern County and the heart of Los Angeles — with plans for massive expansion at the expense of our air and water.  The intensive process of fracking releases and extracts oil or gas by blasting water, chemicals, and sand at high pressure into deep underground rock formations, polluting water, air and accelerating climate change.

      A deposit known as the Monterey Shale may hold 15.4 billion barrels of oil, according to federal estimates, two-thirds of the nation's shale-oil reserves. California — the third-largest oil producing state last year, behind Texas and North Dakota — has oil reserves that could produce as much greenhouse gas emissions as all of the tar sands flowing through the Keystone XL pipeline for 40 years.

      There is no safe way to frack, so Food & Water Watch, together with our allies, are working throughout California to achieve a statewide ban on fracking, and we need your help . . . California's legislature is considering two bills, AB 1301 introduced by Richard Bloom and AB 1323 introduced by Holly Mitchell, that would put an end to fracking in our state. This legislation is vital to protecting our state's precious water resources and farmland.

      You can tell your Legislators to please support a statewide fracking moratorium by signing our petition here.

      And please come to our Green Sunday talk to learn why and how to stop the frack!

      Sunday May 12th, 2013
      5:00 to 6:30 pm
      Niebyl-Proctor Library
      6501 Telegraph Ave. at 65th in North Oakland
      wheelchair accessible

      DIRECTIONS: One block north of Alcatraz on the West side of Telegraph, wheelchair accessible. Buses pass by regularly. Ashby BART is approximately 7 blocks away.

      SPONSOR: Green Sundays are a series of free programs discussions sponsored by the Green Party of Alameda County. They are held on the 2nd Sunday of each month. The monthly business meeting of the County Council of the Green Party of Alameda County follows at 6:45 p.m. Council meetings are always open to anyone who is interested.

      See: www.foodandwaterwatch.org/california

      See also: Lawmakers advance bill to halt oil fracking (4/29)