Richard Winger's Court Date has MOVED to Wednesday! (10/24)

  • AnnouncementsGPAC-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2012
      Richard Winger's court case has been moved to Wednesday, and is now back in front of Judge Curtis Karnow, the same judge who recused himself in this case on September 17.  The new judge, Judge Kahn, ruled that Judge Karnow should not have recused himself and that the case belongs back in front of him.

      The new hearing is set for 9:30 a.m., Wednesday, Oct. 24th.

      We again earnestly need people to attend the hearing.  The attendance last time was wonderful and significant.  Thanks again for all your help!

      On August 1, Judge Curtis Karnow ruled that the six people who challenged Prop. 14 in court must pay $243,500 to the attorneys who intervened in the case for Abel Maldonado and other supporters of the top-two system.  The plaintiffs asked for reconsideration.

      At the September hearing, we got 45 people to pack the courtroom and it made a HUGE difference!  Because so many showed up and sat there in the courtroom, filled it up, we got the re-hearing -- that will be this Wednesday, Oct. 24th, 9:30 am at San Francisco Superior Court, 400 McAllister St. at Larkin in SF, Dept. 302.

      We feel that our only recourse is to try to have as many friends in court as possible, so the judge sees that we have support.  This worked before and we think it can work again.

      As one article wrote:

      "One of the Plaintiffs, Richard Winger, had income last year of $6,000. He has no pension, and his social security, after the medicare SMIB is deducted, is only $180 per month. He is currently living on his savings, which are gradually being eaten up. This judgment will cause him great harm. What little money Winger has will go into the pockets of Charlie Munger, one of the richest men in California. What sense does this make?"

      You can watch Richard on C-SPAN here, 2010 -- http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/295275-6

      Please come and support Richard!

      For background see:

      Monstrous Ruling in CA Case Challenging Top Two

      Some Supporters of Top-Two Open Primary Take Punitive Action to Crush Opponents with Crippling Legal Fees