Re: [AnimalWishList] Re: help with fleas again...

  • Janice
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
      You can also try sprinkling regular table salt on your carpet.  It will kill the fleas and the eggs.  I know an exterminator that uses this all the time.  I've used it as well, and it works.

      Good luck.

      Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 12:15 PM
      Subject: [AnimalWishList] Re: help with fleas again...

      I went back and reviewed your earlier post.  There are only a couple other things I can think of---is your carpet shampoo also treating your carpet for fleas? If not, you should probably get a carpet shampoo that treats for fleas.  You should only have to do this about once a week for three weeks.

      There is also a product called de flea that you can spray on your animals and just rinse off.  You can even spay your carpets and furniture---test a small area to be sure it wont stain.  It's not very toxic to the animals or humans but it really kills fleas.  You can get it at some Petco Stores or online for $15-20.

      Another thing that works is to sprinkle some 20 Mule Team Borax on your carpets, leave it for a few hours and vacuum it up.  Flea powder works too.  With the borax you should vacuum it up before you let your animals in the area.  Flea bombs do a good job but they are more toxic and you all have to leave the house for at least 6 hours.  The other problem is that you can't use them near any pilot light such as gas stoves, water heaters or furnaces because they can set your house on fire.

      I have found this summer that the advantage I am using for my cats and dogs is only lasting about 3 weeks per treatment before they start itching again.  However it is safe to use de flea with the other treatments.

      Hope this helps.

    • Emily Hunter
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
        In a pinch for the animals (not as great for the carpet!) you can get cheap coconut oil and slather them with it. It smothers the fleas, and is good for the animals when they lick it off. It does mean they're greasy for a while, though, best to do it if you have a way of confining them for a while :-)

        I brought home a litter of 3 kittens and did not get them de-flea'd fast enough; the room they were in got infested! I had water bowls out for the fleas to jump into, which killed a lot of them, and used a combination of coconut oil and vinegar on my arms and legs when I was in with the kittens. I smelled really fun for a while there!

        -Emily

        Sent from my iPhone