care packages for animal loving soldier in Iraq

  • Deanna Fuller
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2008
      A rescue person in North Dakota has a daughter stationed in Iraq.  She proudly told her rescue friends that her daughter had befriended dogs (and children) during her off duty hours and was sharing her rations and making sure the dogs had fresh water.
      While many of us will be sending care packages I thought perhaps a few others will want to join in.  The dogs could use small packs of food that won't spoil in the heat(above 110 degrees each day) and treats.
      The children enjoy toys and especially balls. Inflatable beach balls were a huge hit. They get some candy from the soldiers, but I thought perhaps nutritional items like packaged granola bars or dried fruit might be a sweet treat and better for them than candy. The post office has APO boxes that cost $10 to mail whatever can be contained within.
      All the info is listed below.  I will also paste in the letter from the proud mom of this soldier.
      Thanks
      Deanna
      Katann Chow Rescue
      Luverne MN
      email katannchow@... (mchsi.com)

      Proud mom is Kaye John
        Prairie Paws Rescue & Dakota Rescuers
        Jamestown, ND
        email address: kfrisky@...  (daktel.com)

      Soldier daughter and mailing address for care packages:
      SPC Whitney C John
      191st MP CO/ 95th MP BN
      FOB Rustamiyah
      APO AE09390-2402

      Letter from a soldier's mom
      My daughter Whitney John is stationed over in Iraq with the 191 Military Police. She has been there a few months and her "momma taught her well".. Whitney has be-friended a couple of stray packs of dogs.  There is one male adult dog she has tamed who is a shepherd/golden retriever cross who she named "Pickles".  She has been sharing her MRE with Pickles and the rest of the strays.    She makes it routine during her off hours to make sure they all have fresh water
      I'm going to be sending her a care package with some items for the dogs, like treats, small bags of food etc.
      Whitney is not only defending our country at age 19, but has taken it upon herself to treat some of the Iraq children to candy that is sent in care packages and take care of the stray dogs (especially Pickles).
      I'm very proud of her efforts and thought I would share this story! Must take after mom, watching over the real kids and the fur kids too!
    • cheshiretee@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2008
        I will definitely be sending a care package to Whitney.
        I have many many sample packages of dog food which will fit in her ACU's.

        Thank you for passing this along!

        Toni
        Mid Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League

        email katannchow@mchsi. com (mchsi.com)