Needed: BAYTRIL for sick female rat, respiratory infection! HELP

  • Heather
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2007
      I just recently got a female rat, about 3 months old, she was a
      rescue, and now a gift to my new husband... I found red liquid around
      her eyes, and I researched online and found out that she has a
      respiratory infections. Her symtoms include runny red mucus around
      her eyes and nose, and very noticeable weight loss. My aunt was once
      a vet and she also said the same thing. I need help to get Baytil. My
      vet wants to charge me 100$ for the vet visit which would include a
      new pet fee, first check-up fee and then diaognosis (sp?) and that
      does not include the medication. My husband won't allow me to go to
      the vet because he doesn't want to pay that much money just to be
      told what we already know. He thinks we should just have her put down
      and rescue another rat... Twisted I know.. Before we lose this little
      girl, I am hoping that someone has a small bottle of baytil that they
      are no longer needing??

      If I can give her a chance, I will. At this second she is very very
      active, but I know she is losing weight, though she seems to be
      eating... Every morning I have to clean her eyes and nose. I was told
      to hold her over steaming water with Olbas oil in it to help clear
      her airway, and it seems to be helping her but I know it's not the
      cure.

      Please don't criticize us... I have rescued 40+ guinea pigs within
      the past year and have also taken in rats in the past. With my
      wedding, our money has been very limited, so we can only take in a
      few animals at a time unlike before when we were fostering 20 pigs,
      mice, cats, and once in a while a rat or two..

      I don't wish to put this rat down, so that I why I am asking for
      help. She needs baytril to give her a fighting chance, and we are
      asking if someone may have it to give to her. It is possible to mail
      it...

      P.S. Thank you to everyone who sent me helpful advice about bails of
      hay, and also thank you to the 2 people who sent the fleece blankets
      to me, and the several people who sent me towels for the guinea pigs.
      It helped us out greatly! Since then, we have re-homed 11 piggies and
      are currently fostering 3 pigs. :)

      *and yes, our sick rat is seperated from our other rescue pets. We
      have seperate clothing we wear when we are around her and she is in
      her own seperate room...*

      Thanks.