Re: [AnimalWishList] INVISABLE FENCE/FREE VET CARE

  • Adoption Alliance
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
      Most states have a leash law that states that you must keep your animal
      confined to your property at all times. An invisable fence may not be
      enough to protect your pup, grandchild, and be in accordance with city or
      state laws. I'm shocked you would tell this woman that she should not get
      an invisible fence instead of suggesting she get a real fence. Obviously
      if her grand child could run out into the street once it could happen
      again. She may not be so lucky the next time. What is the matter with
      people these days that they don't think past the initial problem. I am so
      disgusted with all the ignorance I read on this site that I am cancelling
      my participation.

      --- Valarie Britt <chevellessgal70@...> wrote:

      > Dont get an invisable fence. This pooch just needs some training. Please
      > check out www.cesarmillan.org for tips on how to rehabilitate your
      > precious pooch!
      >
      > Valarie
      >
      > po_ka_dot <po_ka_dot@...> wrote:
      > Hello all you good people ,someone gave my little girl a year
      > and
      > half old dog that quickly became her whole world and best
      > friend ,but there's a few problem's likes to bolt out the
      > door to stretch his leg's we live on a busy street he has almost
      > gotten hit a few time's as a matter of fact my little granddaughter
      > almost gave up her life to save his the other day{which just
      > about scared the life out of me}we have a large back yard , if
      > anyone can please donate or give info where i can get a invisible
      > fence,also he needs shots and to be fixed i also have another older
      > dog that needs care.My husband died three months ago so i have large
      > hospital and funeral bills I am on a fixed income and trying to
      > raisin two grand daughters . any help or suggestions
      > would be so greatly appreciate. thank you so munch. Dottie
      >

      > Valarie Britt
      > LIL PAWS RESCUE is NOW OPEN!!
      > www.lilpawsrescue.org
      > Shoppe at our online store and help save lives!

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Peggi Fulton
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
        The dog might be trying to get back to where he used to live and that is why
        he is bolting out the front door. Before opening the front door, be sure he
        is shut in another room or in the back yard. This might be hard at first for
        your little ones to manage, but teach them to do it for their puppy.

        I would not get an electric fence. Sometimes a dog gets out of it, and then
        won't go back in anyway because of the shock. I do rescue, and will not
        adopt to anyone with an electric fence.

        Maybe you could put a little fence around the front yard, just a temporary
        one, until the problem is resolved? I saw that someone sent a link that will
        help with training. There are many good suggestions on the internet these
        days.

        Make being in the back yard a very pleasant experience. Give him treats out
        there, do fun things with him, etc. If you have not had him long, it might
        take him a while to get used to you and your girls and accept your home as
        his home. Please don't feel like he doesn't like you; sometimes it just
        takes a bit of adjustment to a new home. Be patient and love him, and it
        will happen!

        I am so sorry for your loss. Bless you for helping this little dog!

        Peggi Fulton
        Northern Colorado Shetland Sheepdog Rescue
        yadah @ prodigy.net (remove spaces)
        http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/CO128.html

        > Hello all you good people ,someone gave my little girl a year and
        > half old dog that quickly became her whole world and best
        > friend ,but there's a few problem's likes to bolt out the
        > door to stretch his leg's we live on a busy street he has almost
        > gotten hit a few time's

      • Valarie Britt
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
          I am geting yelled at for telling her NOT to get an invisable fence?? Do you know what they can do to dogs?? They dont protect dogs from other dogs, they are not 100% on keeping dogs in the yard, PLUS they can kill dogs!

          Valarie

          --- Valarie Britt <chevellessgal70@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          > Dont get an invisable fence. This pooch just needs some training. Please
          > check out www.cesarmillan. org for tips on how to rehabilitate your
          > precious pooch!
          >
          > Valarie
          >
          > po_ka_dot <po_ka_dot@yahoo. com> wrote:
          > Hello all you good people ,someone gave my little girl a year
          > and
          > half old dog that quickly became her whole world and best
          > friend ,but there's a few problem's likes to bolt out the
          > door to stretch his leg's we live on a busy street he has almost
          > gotten hit a few time's as a matter of fact my little granddaughter
          > almost gave up her life to save his the other day{which just
          > about scared the life out of me}we have a large back yard , if
          > anyone can please donate or give info where i can get a invisible
          > fence,also he needs shots and to be fixed i also have another older
          > dog that needs care.My husband died three months ago so i have large
          > hospital and funeral bills I am on a fixed income and trying to
          > raisin two grand daughters . any help or suggestions
          > would be so greatly appreciate. thank you so munch. Dottie
          >

          > Valarie Britt
          > LIL PAWS RESCUE is NOW OPEN!!
          > www.lilpawsrescue. org
          > Shoppe at our online store and help save lives!

          http://mail. yahoo.com

          Valarie Britt
          LIL PAWS RESCUE is NOW OPEN!!
          Shoppe at our online store and help save lives!

        • Barbara
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
            Dottie, I would like to offer my sincerest condolences to you
            on the passing of your husband. I will keep you and your family
            in my prayers.
            Barb :)

            --- In AnimalWishList@yahoogroups.com, "po_ka_dot" <po_ka_dot@...> wrote:

            > Hello all you good people ,someone gave my little girl a year and
            > half old dog that quickly became her whole world and best
            > friend ,but there's a few problem's likes to bolt out the
            > door to stretch his leg's we live on a busy street he has almost
            > gotten hit a few time's as a matter of fact my little granddaughter
            > almost gave up her life to save his the other day{which just
            > about scared the life out of me}we have a large back yard , if
            > anyone can please donate or give info where i can get a invisible
            > fence,also he needs shots and to be fixed i also have another older
            > dog that needs care.My husband died three months ago so i have large
            > hospital and funeral bills I am on a fixed income and trying to
            > raisin two grand daughters . any help or suggestions
            > would be so greatly appreciate. thank you so munch. Dottie

          • KMI
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
              I have to send in my experience with training dogs not to bolt into the street without a fence.

              I adopted a small dog to two very loving and caring gentlemen who absolutely adored their new companion.  This little guy had all the wonderful things money can buy as well as all the love he could manage.  They hired a trainer since they wanted their friend to be able to go into the front yard with them while they worked in the garden etc. and still stay safe.  After many months of training, it seemed to have worked..........and they enjoyed several months together in the front yard from time to time..........until the dog bolted one day in front of a car.  I then had a phone call from two very sad and guilty young men who were simply devastated.  They had tried to do all the "right" things for their pet.

              Therefore, I cannot suggest training only as the option to keep a pet safe.  Training in addition to a fence or being held on a leash (not the extend a leashes -  I have other horror stories about those) is the most reliable method of keeping a dog safe out of doors.  The problem with invisible fences is that while they may keep your dog inside the perimeter; it does not keep other animals, children and adults outside of it.  All of these could pose a potential danger to your pet amd therefore do not offer the safest solution to the problem.  I would have to suggest a good old fashioned fence that is made such that a pet cannot dig out under it or jump over it.

              Good luck.

              Kim Ingram
              Hearts 'n' Paws Sanctuary
              Hello all you good people ,someone gave my little girl a year and
              half old dog that quickly became her  whole world and best
              friend          ,but there's a few problem's  likes to bolt out the
              door to stretch his leg's we live on a busy street he has almost
              gotten hit a few time's as a matter of fact my little granddaughter
              almost gave up  her  life to save his     the other day{which just
              about scared the life out of me}we have a large back yard , if
              anyone can please donate or give info where i can get a invisible
              fence,also he needs shots and to be fixed i also have another older
              dog that needs care.My husband died three months ago so i have large
              hospital  and funeral bills     I am on a fixed income and trying to
              raisin      two grand  daughters   .      any help  or suggestions
              would be so greatly appreciate.  thank you  so munch.  Dottie

              Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Tracie
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006

                I think it was great that Valerie advised her NOT to get an invisible fence and to check out some websites for training.  I would have also suggested training classes too.  You have to be careful about the fences.  A lot of the new neighborhoods are not allowing fences – of any type.  Ohio is getting more and more of them.

                Tracie L. Cobb

                Founder/Director of Operations

                Grove City, OH

                Tender Loving Canine (TLC) Rescue

                Specializing in the American Eskimo

                Ohio Heart Bandits Chapter

                tlcrescue@...

                www.tlcrescue.com

                Adoption Alliance <adoptionalliance@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                Most states have a leash law that states that you must keep your animal
                confined to your property at all times. An invisable fence may not be
                enough to protect your pup, grandchild, and be in accordance with city or
                state laws. I'm shocked you would tell this woman that she should not get
                an invisible fence instead of suggesting she get a real fence. Obviously
                if her grand child could run out into the street once it could happen
                again. She may not be so lucky the next time. What is the matter with
                people these days that they don't think past the initial problem. I am so
                disgusted with all the ignorance I read on this site that I am cancelling
                my participation.

                --- Valarie Britt <chevellessgal70@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                > Dont get an invisable fence. This pooch just needs some training. Please
                > check out www.cesarmillan. org for tips on how to rehabilitate your
                > precious pooch!
                >
                > Valarie
                >
                > po_ka_dot <po_ka_dot@yahoo. com> wrote:
                > Hello all you good people ,someone gave my little girl a year
                > and
                > half old dog that quickly became her whole world and best
                > friend ,but there's a few problem's likes to bolt out the
                > door to stretch his leg's we live on a busy street he has almost
                > gotten hit a few time's as a matter of fact my little granddaughter
                > almost gave up her life to save his the other day{which just
                > about scared the life out of me}we have a large back yard , if
                > anyone can please donate or give info where i can get a invisible
                > fence,also he needs shots and to be fixed i also have another older
                > dog that needs care.My husband died three months ago so i have large
                > hospital and funeral bills I am on a fixed income and trying to
                > raisin two grand daughters . any help or suggestions
                > would be so greatly appreciate. thank you so munch. Dottie
                >

                > Valarie Britt
                > LIL PAWS RESCUE is NOW OPEN!!
                > www.lilpawsrescue. org
                > Shoppe at our online store and help save lives!

                http://mail. yahoo.com

                Valarie Britt

                LIL PAWS RESCUE is NOW OPEN!!

                Shoppe at our online store and help save lives!

              • Kim
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 4, 2006
                  I am certified by Jan Fennell from England to teach her method of
                  lifestyle with dogs. This is a GENTLE, NON VIOLENT and natural way
                  to work with your dogs. I would be willing to help you with as much
                  info as possible, but you would need to call me or get me your
                  contact number. You can send it to my personal email. If you want to
                  check out Jan's web site www.janfennellthedoglistener.com I am
                  recommended under the worldwide contacts link pages . Kim Kapes
                  Orlando Florida 407 697 9324

                  You do not need an invisible fence

                  --- In AnimalWishList@yahoogroups.com, Adoption Alliance