Re: [AnimalWishList] MARMADUKE - TOGETHER, WE CAN SAVE HIS LIFE!!!!

  • ANGELINE LARANCH
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2006
      Tuesday is payday. I will be able to send you $20.00. Sorry it is not more! You are great!
      Sandy

      Sent: Saturday, July 29, 2006 4:29 AM
      Subject: MARMADUKE - TOGETHER, WE CAN SAVE HIS LIFE!!!!

      ~please cross post~

      (Marmaduke) KENYON
      HAS A CHANCE TO LIVE
      WITH IMMEDIATE SURGERY!
      He needs your help!

      QUOTE AT BOTTOM

      The cost will total $4,150.44 - $5581.80

      We realize this is a huge amount of money,
      and that it might seem impossible to raise this by Monday,
      but we are damn well going to try.

      Julie took Kenyon to a
      Major Internal Medicine Veterinary Specialty Hospital
      in the Pittsburgh area.

      They said he needs immediate surgery to remove
      an infected abscess from his prostate gland.

      The above fee includes an intensive recovery period
      and close in-house monitoring following surgery.

      We just can't let him die now!
        Donations can be sent to:
          "For the Love of Kenyon"
          PO Box 1512
          Washington, PA   15301
          (Please make checks payable to Julia Johnson)

      OR YOU CAN MAKE A
      PAYPAL DONATION AT:

      Hi All!

      Well, sit down for this...  Kenyon has a chance.  The mass in his abdomen is a massive abscess attached to the prostate gland...all of the other organs are clean.  His heartworm is the least of his problems at this point.

       I told the doctor this morning that he had such a time pooping...that he squatted so low, you wondered how anything was even going to come out, but the problem was that when he was done, he would only take a few steps and have to sit or lay down.  Now I know why - it is VERY painful for him to have to eliminate...  Yes, the heartworm and the enlarged heart are still serious, serious issues, but pale in comparison to this timorous abscess.

      My head is spinning from this visit and there is so much I haven't totally digested yet, but wanted to get this out to you all first before the day was through.  We need all the time we can to raise monies...if you choose to stay on this path.

      I left him there for the weekend.  One of the surgeons wanted to do the surgery today, but our vet suggested that he stay and get stabilized/stronger with fluids and meds that so he will have the best chance going into the surgery on Monday. At least for now, that's the schedule.

      Weekend stay, surgery Monday around 9-9:30am.  He will have to stay there with them another 4-5 days if all goes well, that would be 7 days if not so well.  The vet said that she would and could recommend that we put him down and that would be very kind, BUT given what we've discovered to this point, he does have a chance to move towards a healthy, happy life!  It'll be a long, slow recovery & treatment plan.  When they open him up, there is that chance that they will see something that they just can do nothing about and will then euthanize him...I am totally okay with that, or he may not survive the surgery from all of his other problems, but this place is equipped to handle veterinary cases as is any major medical human hospital/clinic in the country.  All of the doctors and surgeons will be there on Monday and will be available if needed.  Our main vet will be out of town tomorrow and wanted to make sure that she would be here for his post-operative care and that he was given every chance, medically, to get strong/stabilized FIRST before going in for surgery.

      Me personally, after watching the good day/night he had yesterday - ate well, ran errands with me in the van, took a couple of really good naps and then got up bright-eyed and played/chewed with his rawhide bones.  We took off the sheets around his ex-pen so that he now is included in the rest of the pack environment - He LOVED being able to see so much more of what was going on around him and having the other dogs so close to him too.  Last night, I slept on the couch again, but he wanted to stay loose.  So I let him.  He parked his butt on the floor beside me on the couch, got a couple of rawhide rolls and watched TV, really - he watches TV - he seems to be fascinated with it even walking right up to the screen and studying it...it's adorable.  I woke up once last night because someone barked and when I looked around, no Kenyon.  He had gone into the dining room in the middle of the crates and was laying the ir "with" his dog buddies.  He wanted to be in the middle of the pack...probably like when he had his mate and puppies.  He LOVES being a house dog, having a home and dogs and people of his own.  He wants to be a normal dog and go play with the others in the yard.  You can see it all in his face as he watches the world.  You should have seen his face when I was yelling at the other dogs last night for barking so much...I swear he looked at me like "what are you idiots doing" and he was seriously AMUSED!  Priceless.

      And then I thought, yeah it's funny now, but wait until you're on the receiving end of it someday buddy when you're all healthy and driving me crazy too....at least I hope we get to have that day, and then some.

      So here it is, finally, sit down and get comfy...as close to the floor as you can...They gave me 2 figures - one for the 5 day stay and the other for the more serious 7 day stay...I tried to see if I could just take him back on Monday, but that's not in his best interest given what is coming up, so he's there for now...  The hospital was also generous in giving me 10% off across the board because we work with rescues...that was very nice and helpful.  I put down $2000 of my own money today for a deposit and I have to have the remainder ($2177.44) to them by 8:30 am on Monday morning.  Five day - all included =  $4177.44 (that's with the discount) and the Seven day = $5581.80.

      So, what do you want me to do?  We are going to need to raise some serious money seriously FAST if you all are willing to go through with this.  If not, I totally understand and the vet would have no problem putting him down.  We have to be reasonable as well...we all have lives and responsibilities beyond this poor dog.  Do we think it's even going to be possible to raise minimum $6000...and then there's the heartworm stuff in the future and whatever else might creep up.

      We can't dwell on this, sorry, we have to make a decision now...I haven't even fed my dogs or myself yet today, so that's next on the list...I just wanted to get this out there ASAP!  I will type up the itemized list later today...and notes from today's visit from the doctor's notes.

      Let me know ASAP and let's copy all of us in on our responses please!

      Thanks,
      jj & kenyon

                                  Description                                                                                 Low  Qty      High Qty       Low Ext         High Ext
      Referral Consult Vet
      1
      1
      106.00
      106.00
      Ultrasound Abde/Throax
      1
      1
      425.00
      425.00
      Cult. & Sens. URINE (out)
      1
      1
      90.00
      90.00
      Hospitalization/ Day 76-100 lbs
      5
      7
      250.00
      350.00
      Hospitalization (in) Medication Multiple
      5
      7
      460.00
      644.00
      Night Care Hospitalization/ Level 2
      5
      7
      305.00
      427.00
      Cath Peripheral
      1
      1
      85.00
      85.00
      Catheter IV – Replace
      1
      2
      38.50
      77.00
      Fluids IV >30 lbs day
      4
      6
      388.00
      582.00
      Fluids IV Additives/day
      6
      6
      132.00
      132.00
      Professional Service
      5
      7
      375.00
      525.00
      CBC/Gen. Profile (in)
      2
      4
      194.00
      388.00
      Electrolytes (in)
      2
      4
      72.00
      144.00
      Exploratory Laparotomy
      1
      1
      800.00
      950.00
      Operating Room Fee
      1
      1
      64.00
      64.00
      Surgery Supplies
      1
      1
      64.00
      150.00
      Medical Waste Fee
      1
      1
      10.00
      10.00
      Pulse Oximeter/Blood Pressure
      1
      1
      69.00
      69.00
      Propofol
      16
      20
      41.60
      52.00
      Isoflurane 51-100#
      1
      1
      165.00
      165.00
      Histopath. Full Report (out)
      1
      1
      108.00
      108.00
      STAT fee for Antech
      1
      1
      50.00
      50.00
      Culture & Sensi Aer/Ana (out)
      1
      2
      111.00
      222.00
      Histopath. Add’l Tissue (out)
      0
      1
      0.00
      40.00
      X-Ray/ Two View
      1
      1
      130.00
      130.00
      Coagulation Profile 2 (out)
      1
      2
      108.50
      217.00

                                LOW/HIGH SUBTOTAL:
      4614.60
      6202.00
                                Less 10% Rescue Discount
      464.16
      620.20
      LOW/HIGH BALANCE DUE 7/31/06 by 7:30AM
      4150.44
      5581.80

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      Barbara McGrady
      Society for the Protection of Animals, Inc.
      www.spaohio. org
      P.O. Box 1047
      Fremont, Ohio  43420

      "Humankind has not woven the web of life.
      We are but one thread within it.
      Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
      All things are bound together.
      All things connect."

      - Chief Seattle

      Maria

      If you do not wish to receive further mailings, please do not mark as Spam. Simply reply and type in the subject list No More Mailings. Thank you.

      You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who can do nothing for them, or to them."  (Malcolm Forbes, 1919-1990)

      Animal Voices
      http://animalvoices .catcares. net/

      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/AllStatesR escues/join

      Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
      http://dmd.catcares .net/

      Animal Themes
      http://www.cafepres s.com/animalthem es

      The Animal Rescue Site
      http://www.theanima lrescuesite. com

    • Karen McCombs
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
        Today is my payday....here is $25.00, which it was more but I do run a rescue !
        Karen/Idaho

                               Karen & Bob McCombs
                                            Dachshund Idaho Rescue
                                 PO Box 341, Middleton  (Boise),  Id.  83644
                        Covering southern Idaho, northern Utah & eastern Oregon

          208  585-3412, (home)
                695-4761   (cell )
                                     doxylady@...
           Don't breed or buy---save a life !!!!    find them here !

        Sent: Saturday, July 29, 2006 4:29 AM

        ~please cross post~

        (
        Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!