Donations needed

  • JoAnne
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2005

      I’m currently soliciting donations for the family of SSgt Jamie Dana, a Military Working Dog handler assigned to the 732 EMSG that was critically injured on 25 Jun when her HMMWV was hit by an IED.  All donations will be sent to the family to help them offset travel expenses.  Please contact me by Friday, 8 Jul 05, if you would like to make a cash donation.  If you would like to make a donation by credit card, donations are being accepted through the Black Forest Animal Sanctuary, which currently cares for animals Jamie has adopted.  The link to their website is www.bfasfarm.com.  Please pass this info to your detachments to see if they would be willing to donate.

      HeadlinesOTHER HEADLINES

      June 28, 2005

      Explosive critically injures Peterson sergeant in Baghdad

      By ANSLEE WILLETT THE GAZETTE

      An Air Force sergeant from Black Forest was critically injured in Iraq last weekend after an explosive was detonated as her convoy passed on a road in Baghdad.

      Tech. Sgt. Jamie Dana, 26, assigned to Peterson Air Force Base, should arrive today at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., where her husband and parents will be at her bedside.

      “I’m just waiting to see her,” her husband, Mike Dana, said after flying to D.C.

      Dana, who’s served in the Air Force since 1998, volunteered for the six-month tour in Iraq. She was sent to the war about four weeks ago with her bomb-detecting dog, a German shepherd named Rex. They helped at checkpoints and searched buildings.

      The details were sketchy, but her family was told the explosive detonated Sunday underneath her armored humvee, injuring all four people inside. Her family initially was told her dog died in the explosion but later learned he was OK.

      Dana’s injuries include a broken pelvis, possible lung contusions and broken bones.

      “The initial prognosis, which really rattled everybody, was they didn’t think she was going to make it,” said Scott Hudock, a family friend who lives in Black Forest.

      Friends and neighbors gathered at Dana’s home Saturday to wait with her husband for updates. When the phone didn’t ring, they couldn’t help but wonder if a chaplain would knock on the front door with the worst news.

      “Mike is a big, hunky guy, but I’ve never seen a big guy like that so hurt and upset,” Hudock’s wife, Tracy, said Monday. “I actually packed his suitcase for him yesterday. He was beside himself, didn’t know what to pack.”

      Dana, who wants to be a veterinarian, met the Hudocks through the couple’s Black Forest Animal Sanctuary, which takes in unwanted horses and farm livestock. She’d spend about four days a week at the sanctuary.

      “She’s always been critter crazy,” Tracy Hudock said. “Before she got deployed, she would come out and ride the abused horses.

      “She’s the first person that has gotten on probably four of the horses that were unrideable when they got there.”

      Dana, who’s adopted two horses from the sanctuary, e-mailed Hudock daily from Iraq. She last wrote just before going on the convoy in which she was injured.

      She talked about writing her hometown paper in Pennsylvania in hopes of raising money for the sanctuary. She also wrote about the most dangerous part of her job — going on convoys.

      “She’s a strong-willed person, which is probably what’s keeping her alive,” Tracy Hudock said.

      LAST E-MAIL TO FRIEND

      Part of Jamie Dana’s last e-mail to her friend, Tracy Hudock, just before the convoy explosion:

      “I have to head out on a mission now — that’s the only time I’m ever in any real danger over here. We go off base and have to interact with the public – most of them are nice, it’s the troublemakers that make all the bombs and shoot rockets at us. The main thing I look forward to over here is pictures. I put them up in my room to cheer me up. I don’t need anything else yet — but give it time — I’ve got five months to go. I’ll talk to you later — tell everyone I miss them. :-) Jamie

      HOW TO HELP

      Tracy Hudock and her husband are taking donations through their Black Forest Animal Sanctuary to help Dana’s family with expenses not covered by the military and to help care for her two horses, two cats and three dogs. Donations, which should be marked for Jamie Dana, may be made online at www.bfasfarm.com or mailed to 16750 Thompson Road, Black Forest, CO 80908.

      - Tired of red lights? Get used to them
      - Rabbi picked to evaluate tolerance at academy
      - City Hall warning kids about dangers of culverts
      - $400,000 bail set for CC grad in ’03 death

      Helpful Links
      • The Associated Press
      • MSNBC.com

      AP Top U.S. News At 7:46 a.m. EDT

      Suspect Pleads Guilty in BTK Murder Case
      WICHITA, Kan. (AP) -- A former ordinance enforcement officer's matter-of-fact confession that he is the serial killer who haunted this city for decades may have brought closure to some - but not to Charlie Otero....

      Wal-Mart Heir John Walton Dies in Crash
      BENTONVILLE, Ark. (AP) -- Wal-Mart heir John T. Walton, who threw his considerable financial support behind efforts to educate low-income children, has died while at the controls of a homemade, experimental aircraft....

      Teen Boy Critical After Fla. Shark Attack
      CAPE SAN BLAS, Fla. (AP) -- A 16-year-old boy who lost a leg following the second shark attack in three days along the Florida Panhandle was in critical condition Tuesday and doctors were hoping he hadn't suffered any brain damage from the blood loss....

      "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Gandhi (1869-1948)
      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • tucker_n_sweeties_mom
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2007
        WolfSpirit's Toy Breed Puppymill Rescue currently has several dogs in
        rescue that need surgery. They are holding a raffle to raise funds for
        the surgeries. Direct donations or purchasing raffle tickets will help
        this group with much needed funds.

        http://www.wolfspiritsrescue.com/Raffle.htm

        Thanks,
        Pat
      • scorpio11225@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11 1:08 PM
          Hi everyone, my name is Deborah and I need financial help for my animals. Over the years I have rescued stray cats and dog from shelters, the streets and doing TNR(trap,neuter,return). Well, my loving family consists of 14 cats and 2 pit bulls which I love dearly and can't even consider giving them up. But, my financial situation is bad and thre are three of them (isabella,casey,and goldie) that is in need of operations. I don't know what to do I am so heart broken and scared cause I don't want to give them up. If anyone can help me I would be truely grateful. I can't lose my little guys I raised them all. I live in new york and you can email me at scorpio11225@.... Thanks to anyone who can help me.